Login

russian armor

PSA - USF AA HT vs CAS

18 Feb 2015, 17:00 PM

Hello internet strangers,

By now I am sure every allied player is dealing with Close Air Support doctrine in large multilayer games. Wanted to put a public service announcement out there. Get a USF AA HT to vet 1, flip its ass towards the incoming plane and put it into dedicated anti-aircraft mode. It will shoot all strafe runs down, some (not) all recon flights, and do absolutely nothing against the Stuka bombing run.

PS: If you are using the Soviet AA H/T, you're screwed.
18 Feb 2015, 17:03 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Or better yet,take the crew out and put your most vetted squad in there for easy Vet 1.

Then pick armor company and give the vehicle crew thompsons. :snfBarton:
18 Feb 2015, 17:04 PM

Shoot down the planes with m20 bazooka like in the WFA USF trailer MVGame

(Yes it was only aiming at it, but still lol)

18 Feb 2015, 17:22 PM

Well i had a M20 once that shot down like 3 planes.
18 Feb 2015, 17:34 PM

Permanently Banned
IS-2 pintle MG is the most reliable Soviet AA in the game :snfCHVGame:
18 Feb 2015, 20:15 PM
Patrion 14

or cas user can use a brain and callin recon and at strafe from aaht's blind spot. or call in close to edges of maps so payload actually shoots even before the plane enters the map.

i guess using 60 fuel as a dedicated aa is not a big deal in3v3+. i have yet to have a real 2v2 game where i can afford 60 fuel just for aa. and trying to use aaht as both aa and frontline support unit doesnt work due to set up time.

another cheese ass axis shit that is so annoying and just not fun to play against...
18 Feb 2015, 21:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2015, 20:15 PMpigsoup
or cas user can use a brain and callin recon and at strafe from aaht's blind spot. or call in close to edges of maps so payload actually shoots even before the plane enters the map.

The M15 doesn't have a blind spot in AA mode, unless you count the ground.
18 Feb 2015, 21:01 PM

USF AA HT?

1. use 35 muni recon towards enemy major
2. plane crash into major
19 Feb 2015, 00:32 AM

The plane's gonna crash on your own troops anyway so why bother...
But seriously, I think because the plane almost starts firing from outside of the map, it's gonna deal a lot of damage before it get's shot down
19 Feb 2015, 01:28 AM

Yes AA HT is the only way to help against this commander, but you also have to fend off the hordes of PGs with shreks and LMGs grens...... and maybe the occasional T3 or T4 unit if the game lasts long enough... If only USF had this commander it would be righteous...... I would have the same feeling I get when I steal a kubal and use it against an OKW player.
19 Feb 2015, 02:18 AM

Permanently Banned
Dont bother with allies in team games is what id recommend
19 Feb 2015, 03:31 AM

Coming from the perspective of a arranged team player of axis and allies both i feel i can shed some light on this:

CAS is used primarily for 1 reason, That is to counter Allied artillery,
Namely the B-4. But is also used to counter ML-20 (lol?) Katyusha, Priest.

The gimmick of CAS is the most effective 1 man counter to B4 and on map artillery, To make it work versus someone half decent with Katyusha you most likely will need a OKW ally to flare up as the recon plane is a dead giveaway. He may end up seeing it anyways.

On my arranged teams i am the one normally who covers CAS, And it has its downsides. You cut a lot of armor to do it. If you are unable to counter the Kat trucks you get wrecked by them as your army is a Gren/Pgren blob with strafe support.

ISU-152 and IS2 are both solid vs CAS blobs, Mass medium crushing is very strong vs it. 2-3 M4C is especially deadly versus it.

At the end of the day its a counter-pick to B4, So don't spam B4 when you see him doing CAS. One CAS player can counter up to 3 player's worth of
B-4 spam at once. AA won't shoot it down in time, So it is a waste of fuel for building AA for CAS.

Counter him with Kats and be very aware of them and baby sit them and spread them out so if he dose kill one you wont loose all of them as happens so often when i play CAS.

Ive had the most success with medium crushing and intelligent use of kats when faced vs CAS, A way to spot it is when you see a lot of LMG's early (4-5 squads worth of LMG by 7-8m)
19 Feb 2015, 03:51 AM
Patrion 14

The M15 doesn't have a blind spot in AA mode, unless you count the ground.

i'm sure it's cone of fire when it is not in aa mode is still in effect when in aa mode.

it is just not shown. correct me if i am wrong.
19 Feb 2015, 04:06 AM
Patrion 28

it's 360 degrees with a line down the front ( i assume that means it can't traverse across that line) and it's got a radius of over a screen.
19 Feb 2015, 04:41 AM
Patrion 14

i am aware of the graphical change of the cone when putting it on aa mode. i remember testing a few weeks ago and it seemed m15 aaht's turret could not traverse to the front even in aa mode.

but my memory is sketchy at best.
19 Feb 2015, 05:52 AM
Patrion 28

it probably avoids it because it can't rotate through the center but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's bugged and actually only has 270 degrees of coverage
19 Feb 2015, 16:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

it's 360 degrees with a line down the front ( i assume that means it can't traverse across that line) and it's got a radius of over a screen.

Nope, it's a 270­­° coverage. AND it won't target planes till they are inside the map. This means things like CAS can hit it without retaliation on certain scenarios.

The anti tank strafe 1 shot artillery pieces, so if you are not afraid of AA, you can use it to save 50muni.
19 Feb 2015, 16:25 PM

Nope, it's a 270­­° coverage. AND it won't target planes till they are inside the map. This means things like CAS can hit it without retaliation on certain scenarios.

The anti tank strafe 1 shot artillery pieces, so if you are not afraid of AA, you can use it to save 50muni.

the AT 1 shots most things, Sometimes depending on the RNG, CAS will not 1 shot a B4 leaving it at less than 10% health. (Pretty rare)
19 Feb 2015, 16:59 PM

Tried using the AA ht in AA mode the other day, was destroyed by anti tank strafe run from CAS. Player simply called in spotter which the AA ht targeted than Stuka AT strafe. Also, as noted, the planes shoot before they enter the map so they cannot be shot down. And shooting them down makes them crash on your own lines.

Air abilities are too good right now, especially stuka AT strafe in all forms. If anything Allies should have tons more air abilities.
19 Feb 2015, 17:02 PM

Thanks to comrade Napalm Iv won 2 games due to plane crashes, and with another Plane crash killed the USF AA HT that was shooting my planes down :thumbsup:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★