Login

russian armor

Ostheer - MG42

PAGES (29)down
16 Mar 2015, 04:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2015, 03:53 AMJaigen

That proves shit. right now the most useless unit within the okw unit is the support gun. and even i use because its sometimes needed to dislodge somebody out of a building. that it is used doesnt mean its good or balanced.

how does it not prove that its not viable? i created a strategy that revolves around using the mg42 as the core of my army and used it to climb the ladder
16 Mar 2015, 04:05 AM

I dont know who you're maxim spamming and having great success against,probably some rank one million with your stacked AT. I would never try maxim spam against a good player/group of good players even if i was high on drugs and drunk off my ass. It'll get you embarrassed,and likely rekt On-Stream in front of hundreds. youll be pinned in your base like a spamming idiot 5 mins into the game,"unless you play purfuct" lol good luck with that.

What you're saying is maxim spam is good against people that dont use thought and have experience. and yes it is good against OKW if you get unlucky and your flak HT hits a mine and has a destroyed engine in front of a bunch of field guns,or it strangles you so bad you cant get T4. Anything cheesy is good against OKW early on. You can choose how you're gonna cheese them until they get stupidly powerful.

And Proof in the pudding Ostheer fanbois,a top 5 2v2 player across all factions thinks that MULTIPLE MG42s is good enough to incorporate into their build. What more do you need?

You can easily get 4 maxims and have them do extremely well, like hell I'm going to ever get 4 MG42's as Ostheer because of the fact that I can't trust them to do their job with how fragile they are combined with the fact it's 240 MP I could put into something more effective.

The MG42 isn't useless, but it does pale I'm comparison to the maxim for being able to survive the shear amount of super high DPS flying all over the field.

A .50 cal crewed by Soviet and a MG42 crewed by Soviets will always do better thanks to the 6 men they get, I honestly don't think the MG42's problem lies in not enough suppression or damage, but in the fact it's stupidly fragile like the .50 cal, while not having the traverse the .50 cal does.

Buff the .50 cal and MG42's survivability, make the MG42 swivel slightly faster, problem solved.
16 Mar 2015, 04:16 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jaigen,Im sure the best soviet players struggled against the old instapin MG42 supported by Panzerfausts that insta killed flanking overpriced M3s,too,with no real option of teching T2 to save yourself from an early P4 or 222 etc.

Im not talking about 2013-early 14, im talking about now. And right now,grens,pios,ANYTHING destroy maxims when flanked thanks to march deployment,riflenades wipe it with one shot,and I never see maxim spam unless its a noob or a tool doing it. Con spam,or T1+T2 is way better Right now in this day in time.

if you call yourself a top axis player and you "struggle" against maxim spam,somethings wrong with where you are ranked,or you're in a 4v4.

It proves everything. A good unbiased player will figure out how to use the unit to maximum effectiveness instead of complaining that its so horribly useless blah blah. Most people cannot position,or dont feel like positioning an MG42 and support it so they complain. Its too hard to use the MG42,not that it doesnt work when it is used right.

The support gun is not useless,Its just the other options are more powerful and have greater OP effect,like blobbing shreks and rushing a panther,no different than gren spam and then blobbing LMGs is easier than microing an MG42.

everything has to be easymode or its useless.
16 Mar 2015, 04:29 AM

The ISG is extremely bad, It's pretty much OKW's most useless unit and it's a huge waste of MP.

The American 75 field howi is slightly better, but not by much.

16 Mar 2015, 04:37 AM

The ISG is extremely bad, It's pretty much OKW's most useless unit and it's a huge waste of MP.

The American 75 field howi is slightly better, but not by much.

i bet you make it shoot over shotblockers
16 Mar 2015, 04:51 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Alex you want to know why MG42 spam won't work? Because ostheer is based around combined arms, and that isn't combined arms. It's spam, and noobish.
And it should fail. You have 5 different infantry and support units to start,6 if you include ass grenadiers. Be creative and make something out of it.

It works with soviets because All they have is spam spam spam spam since you can't have combined arms as soviets without gimping yourself, spam is the only way. Which is just wonderful design.
Btw, ISG used to be the no brainier easy mode squad wiper machine that would not die and could fire across the map if yo put it next to your MED HQ with storm officer, of course German fanboys want that ISG back. It's easy and it owns everything.

Now it doesn't necessarily do that anymore , for good reason, and it's useless. Ok.
16 Mar 2015, 04:56 AM

this is slightly off topic but i hope you guys understand that both the ISG and pack howitzer perform significantly better when it has clear firing lines which allow it to direct fire.

edit: its not like a mortar that you can sit behind a house or hedge and expect it to do reasonably well, you gotta use the isg and packhowitzer either defensively covering a killzone that it has unobstructed vision of or use it offensively like a direct fire weapon. either way you need to micro both more than a mortar to get its full potential
16 Mar 2015, 05:29 AM

jaigen,Im sure the best soviet players struggled against the old instapin MG42 supported by Panzerfausts that insta killed flanking overpriced M3s,too,with no real option of teching T2 to save yourself from an early P4 or 222 etc.

Im not talking about 2013-early 14, im talking about now. And right now,grens,pios,ANYTHING destroy maxims when flanked thanks to march deployment,riflenades wipe it with one shot,and I never see maxim spam unless its a noob or a tool doing it. Con spam,or T1+T2 is way better Right now in this day in time.

if you call yourself a top axis player and you "struggle" against maxim spam,somethings wrong with where you are ranked,or you're in a 4v4.

It proves everything. A good unbiased player will figure out how to use the unit to maximum effectiveness instead of complaining that its so horribly useless blah blah. Most people cannot position,or dont feel like positioning an MG42 and support it so they complain. Its too hard to use the MG42,not that it doesnt work when it is used right.

The support gun is not useless,Its just the other options are more powerful and have greater OP effect,like blobbing shreks and rushing a panther,no different than gren spam and then blobbing LMGs is easier than microing an MG42.

Maxim spam is quite effective in 1v1 on certain maps with houses. I regularly face opponents going 2/3 maxims plus morter or At gun. Quickly followed up by shocks. The smart ones lay mines everywhere making 222 extremely limited in it effectiveness. So your left with morters and flamers to get them out of the houses. If they push hard for your cut off of muni it can be an up hill battle to compete.

NADES DO NOT WIPE FULL HEALTH MAXIMS. They do a lot of damage on most occasions but it is a muni drain most off the time and when shocks arrive you have no lmg, no healing, a map full of mines and no sweepers. If your flamer explodes due to rng your also down another 60 muni.

I am not saying it is unbeatable or OP but it is lame a f***, especially on kharkov.

Personally i see it as a major design flaw that 2 factions can open with mgs / morters, especially if one side is better equipped to deal with support weapons whilest is turn having support weapons with high survivability due to squad sizes...
16 Mar 2015, 05:47 AM

I wouldn't mind hve an mg42 ability that decreased the arc of fire but buffed the range or rate of fire of the gun. This would prevent frontal assaults more but make it more flankable.
16 Mar 2015, 07:08 AM

Far more involved? That can be said about any MG. I love maxim spammers as ost. Free win. From the beginning of the game,checking sov base splats for T2. you already know whats coming. Such lovely design. Immediately when I see that im going 2-3 grens and a mortar which counters the garden out of maxims AND t2. If im OKW then eh maybe im shaking in my boots a little. maybe.

I will then get flamers on my pios as well for any maxims in buildings, tech up,and im gonna riflenade your maxims from the front. 10-20 min GG. Its even lulzier if CAS/ostruppen muni spam is involved. Now a Con or two for every maxim isnt spamming maxims.

If you dont like being limited to 1 VP 1 fuel keeping all your stuff nearby eachother until you're strong enough to break out, then...dont play ost 1v1 right now. No one is forcing a gun to your head to play ost. You can still get your german krupp steel blonde hair blue eyes ubersoldaten fetish taken care of with OKW.

And no one is stopping you from taking a break until Ostheer is OP,which im fully expecting this next patch thanks to all these tears. from how weak ostheer units are,when its just MECHANICAL ISSUES WITH COH2 ITSELF WHICH CAUSES OSTHEERS PROBLEMS. THEIR UNITS ARE FINE FOR THE MOST PART(222,Pgrens,Werfer and sniper could use a buff thanks to their counterparts being better and overshadowing them) EVERY MG IN THE GAME is getting naded,sniped,smoked and stolen from the front from one infantry squad. Its not FUN FOR ANYONE. Ostheer is far from being the only faction with issues.

but its the way it is,and the best way you can avoid this is support and spot for your shit to alleviate this particular issue,or baseline infantry spam,or QUIT until the games patched(2 WEEKS!!!) I for one am sick of these ridiculous buff ost threads. most of OST IS FINE. The basic game mechanics are not fine,and thats what ost relies on the most.

You can scream all you want ost is FINE,that all ost issues are 'mechanical' issues,every mg is being naded ..well fun fact -no faction depends on its mg as much as ostheer.Ostheer is by FAR the weakest faction atm...but u'll never accept that despite stats because ur a hardcore fanboy who on purpose wants to keep ost extinct because he likes his autowins.And don't worry i already have retired till patch,and yes if they don't fix ost u'll have ur wish..won't be coming back..as will several others i know.Now go scream again ..OST IS FINE.
16 Mar 2015, 10:34 AM

And Proof in the pudding Ostheer fanbois,a top 5 2v2 player across all factions thinks that MULTIPLE MG42s is good enough to incorporate into their build. What more do you need?
Hey, I´m currently ranked Nr. 14 Axis 2v2 arranged team, Nr. 24 Ostheer 2v2 random and Nr. 64 2v2 random with Soviets.

I´m telling you: The MG42 is shit.

In fact I used to be Nr. 1 Ostheer 2v2 random for some months. I built MG42s, used them as I always did and dropped to rank 100. Grenspam brought me up again, but never to the state I used to be.

A tip from me: Do not build the MG42. This isn´t good game design.
16 Mar 2015, 11:35 AM

Uh no. back then maxim vs mg42 would cause the maxim to win and their was of course sniper+ m3.

Even if the mg42 would be buffed to godlike status again i likely would still not use on certain maps. Most maps favour cqc combat where an extra grens squad is much more viable. in the current state its not even worthe getting this unit even on maps where long range combat actually is viable.

your only partially correct. i find shrek blobs a bit to effective. but half the stock of the okw are borderline up for cost. puma? up to the m10 flaktrack? up to the usf track? support gun? up to any mortar.

well then the soviets must be the most easy mode faction in the game. and unsurprisingly i win with them the most in 1vs 1.
16 Mar 2015, 11:38 AM

Cookiezncreem,

Your not exactly unbiased are you. Rank 4000 with Ost and 400 with USA. At 4000 the skill level is rubbish and not a good indication of balance.

16 Mar 2015, 11:51 AM

A small intervention if I may. Related to maxim spam, it's not a good tactic on 1v1, I wouldn't know how it works on 3v3 or in 4v4 but I can certify that is absolutely deadly in 2v2 if applied by both players and applied well. It grants excellent results with very few micro.
Mg42 it's not in a good shape, no matter how well you use it, it won't help you stop blobs.
16 Mar 2015, 12:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2015, 10:34 AMButcher
Hey, I´m currently ranked Nr. 14 Axis 2v2 arranged team, Nr. 24 Ostheer 2v2 random and Nr. 64 2v2 random with Soviets.

I´m telling you: The MG42 is shit.

In fact I used to be Nr. 1 Ostheer 2v2 random for some months. I built MG42s, used them as I always did and dropped to rank 100. Grenspam brought me up again, but never to the state I used to be.

A tip from me: Do not build the MG42. This isn´t good game design.

He knows better,played a game..made an expert observation..sherlock has given his verdict.Lowly ost scrubs must accept it.Ost only has 'mechanical' issues,everything is fine.Cookie the mighty has spoken.
16 Mar 2015, 12:42 PM

this is slightly off topic but i hope you guys understand that both the ISG and pack howitzer perform significantly better when it has clear firing lines which allow it to direct fire.

edit: its not like a mortar that you can sit behind a house or hedge and expect it to do reasonably well, you gotta use the isg and packhowitzer either defensively covering a killzone that it has unobstructed vision of or use it offensively like a direct fire weapon. either way you need to micro both more than a mortar to get its full potential

I don't care, the fact that it needs baby sitting while costing an absurd amount of MP while the vet it gets only improves the barrage (which is garbage) makes it unlikable. I would rather spend the MP on something that's going to get me somewhere as apposed to a ISG that I need to sit right behind my army and worry about.

It also can't do shit about buildings or emplacements which is the biggest issue because it means you have nothing to clear people out of buildings if you went T1.
16 Mar 2015, 13:30 PM

The Axis counter offensive has begun! (and remember only 1vs1 counts this is the only PRO-elite game mode here, team games are for scrubs)
16 Mar 2015, 13:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

@austerlitz Im not even gonna argue with you because you damn near break into tears every time someone talks about ostheer.
@butcher well that's two good players with conflicting opinions.

@charlie yes attack my player card without showing yours. I regularly play against players with 1k+ hours while playing ost. Not OMGPOP and jesulin, but still players that know how to play. Also understand there is a tonof sov/ost players on the leaderboard after two years, and that rank 4k vanilla is more like rank 1-2k on a WFA faction. I haven't played many top 500s while plYing ost since I found CELO last year,but I did say that I played against good ost p
layers(top 200 every time)) as USF hat knew how to play and use mg42. The MG42 makes it harder for me to just roll the early game. When there's no MG42(gren spam) I love it. with an mg42 supporting my movements are slowed and i can't just waltz in with a blob and stomp your grenadiers because a MG IS THERE.

@johnnyb mg42 won't stop blobs, NO MG stops blobs. Therefore it isn't s problem with the MG42, its a problem with the game as a whole. It personally effects wehr a little more because they need it against a blobber as a defensive faction, Since grenadiers suck without MG support. So we implement one of the many anti blob ideas(that benefit everyone not just ostheer) that don't include over buffing the hell out of ost.

16 Mar 2015, 14:14 PM
Patrion 14

@austerlitz Im not even gonna argue with you because you damn near break into tears every time someone talks about ostheer.

:D
16 Mar 2015, 14:22 PM

It could be worse. At least the MG42 does not have brittle bone disease like the .50 cal and the DHSK machine guns. For those who do not know, these 2 weapons have low health/armor stats for some reason so they take lots of damage from explosive weapons and will get completely wrecked if not repaired in between every engagement.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS