Login

russian armor

Ostheer: What is to be done?

PAGES (19)down
17 Feb 2015, 06:28 AM

Tbh Ostheer late game isn't actually as good as you think it is, I get the Elefant far more these days than I get a Tiger because a Tiger isn't going to do jack shit against a horde of mediums. A Elefant will constantly be forcing mediums to quit the field or sniping them.

Isn't as good as I think?

Show me the non-doctrinal allied equivalent of the Panther.

The existence of the panther alone is enough to render one whole Soviet building null and void, never mind the doctrinal stuff.
17 Feb 2015, 06:28 AM

gameplay should come first, historical accuracy second. if you look at ost t3, youll see panzer 4 - generalist medium tank, ostwind - anti-infantry anti-air medium tank, stug - not so good at either anti infantry or anti-tank.

it makes sense to give ost t3 a dedicated tank destroyer.
17 Feb 2015, 06:33 AM

Isn't as good as I think?

The existence of the panther alone is enough to render one whole Soviet building null and void, never mind the doctrinal stuff.

You know how much of an insanely massive investment T4 is for Ostheer? I see your point with the OKW Panther but even that it's a single Panther, two t34/76's can kill it. A single engine crit and a AT gun can kill it.

The Panther isn't some all things proof tank, it's very weak to infantry based AT, it just excels against enemy armor.

gameplay should come first, historical accuracy second. if you look at ost t3, youll see panzer 4 - generalist medium tank, ostwind - anti-infantry anti-air medium tank, stug - not so good at either anti infantry or anti-tank.

it makes sense to give ost t3 a dedicated tank destroyer.

Agreed, but it make sense given the nature of the StuG for it to be good at AT and AI, the fact it doesn't have a turret means that you can always flank it with a tank or infantry unit. On top of that a simple buff to to the frontal armor and a tad more health and you have a perfect tank to round out T3. (The Ostwind should have more armor and the PIV should have more health).

I still don't see a reason for not bringing the Panzerwerfer back to T3, especially since allied indirect spam is very much part of the meta right now.
17 Feb 2015, 06:51 AM

Agreed, but it make sense given the nature of the StuG for it to be good at AT and AI, the fact it doesn't have a turret means that you can always flank it with a tank or infantry unit. On top of that a simple buff to to the frontal armor and a tad more health and you have a perfect tank to round out T3. (The Ostwind should have more armor and the PIV should have more health).

But for the game, it would certainly be better if the Stug had a real role that wasnt already taken. Your mentioned buff or current situation, the stug and panzer iv are very identical - one has no turret but a little more range (and still would have less health) and one actually has a turret, costs a bit more, and is great for combat against most medium tanks and infantry - granted zero jacksons are around. If someone considered getting Ost T3, they would still get panzer IV's 100% of the time as it is the better of the two. For what reason would i get a stug? Anyone get a stug?

The machine gun is its AI :P
17 Feb 2015, 06:58 AM

In real-life there wasn't one. In theory, an M4A3E2 Jumbo armed with a 76mm gun and HVAP ammunition could be considered a counterpart to the Panther. But it would not be as mobile, also 76mm HVAP was in short supply and was reserved for M18 Hellcats.

In-game, the M36 could be made to serve as a semi-counterpart, if it traded damage for penetration and got a health boost.
17 Feb 2015, 07:16 AM

But for the game, it would certainly be better if the Stug had a real role that wasnt already taken. Your mentioned buff or current situation, the stug and panzer iv are very identical - one has no turret but a little more range (and still would have less health) and one actually has a turret, costs a bit more, and is great for combat against most medium tanks and infantry - granted zero jacksons are around. If someone considered getting Ost T3, they would still get panzer IV's 100% of the time as it is the better of the two. For what reason would i get a stug? Anyone get a stug?

The machine gun is its AI :P

The StuG being able to tank on infantry and armor like the PIV but lacking a turret would make it function like an actual assault gun which is supposed to attack enemy armor and entrenched infantry. You would get a PIV if you need more moble AI and AT. For instance I would want a StuG if I'm attacking an enemies fortified position, but a PIV If I need to support a more mobile force.

But regardless more than the StuG in T3 needs a buff, the PIV and Ostwind are both to fragile in a game were the Jackson exists.
17 Feb 2015, 07:21 AM

I don't think that ost is the worst faction, grenadier lmg42 is good against usf rifles and of course tiger is god damn good against their tanks.
17 Feb 2015, 07:25 AM

I don't think that ost is the worst faction, grenadier lmg42 is good against usf rifles and of course tiger is god damn good against their tanks.

Lmg42 loses to both paras with bars,or 1919 rifles whichever company usf player chose.
And no tiger isn't all that great vs tanks -struggles vs both jackson and easy eights,can only bully shermans - but lacks speed to pursue and finish off.Its mostly a damage sponge/infantry-at gun killer.What u think doesn't change stats .
17 Feb 2015, 07:25 AM

we dont need an assault gun, panzer4 and ostwind already fulfill the role of anti-infantry in t3. ost needs an tank destroyer
17 Feb 2015, 07:26 AM

The Elefant is a far, far better counter to enemy mediums thank the Tiger. I would much rather have an Elefant than a Tiger if I'm facing mediums with infantry support.
17 Feb 2015, 07:28 AM

we dont need an assault gun, panzer4 and ostwind already fulfill the role of anti-infantry in t3. ost needs an tank destroyer

I agree, but even with some pretty radical buffs the StuG would remain mediocre compared to the other TD's in the game despite the teching and unit cost which is why I suggested it also have AI capabilities.
17 Feb 2015, 07:29 AM

They could change the stug to a dedicated tank destroyer with 60 range and better penetration and also much higher cost.Ostwind would see more use if it had infantry suppression like aa truck to counter blobs instead of just gun like pz 4 which will otherwise always be chosen.Those are some options to diversify t3.Pz 4 has no hope till call-in system is fixed and jackson dmg reduced for penetration.
17 Feb 2015, 07:32 AM

The Elefant is a far, far better counter to enemy mediums thank the Tiger. I would much rather have an Elefant than a Tiger if I'm facing mediums with infantry support.

Yeah i have removed tiger doctrines because they can't cut it vs is-2s and struggle vs jacksons and e8s.(i don't have mech assaualt)Been using jaeger armor for riegels,stuka and elfant again vs soviets.Or festung armor with smoke and pak43.Pak43 or elefant is must vs is-2.
Final option is close air support for t2 muni conversion panzergrenadier/mine/lmg42 spam.
17 Feb 2015, 07:34 AM

Yeah i have removed tiger doctrines because they can't cut it vs is-2s and struggle vs jacksons and e8s.(i don't have mech assaualt)Been using jaeger armor for riegels,stuka and elfant again vs soviets.Or festung armor with smoke and pak43.Pak43 or elefant is must vs is-2.
Final option is close air support for t2 muni conversion panzergrenadier/mine/lmg42 spam.

Fortified armor is honestly the best Elefant doctrine in my opinion unless you have to counter B4.
17 Feb 2015, 07:38 AM

Fortified armor is honestly the best Elefant doctrine in my opinion unless you have to counter B4.

Yes fortified armor is very nice,but i like the stuka,riegel and scopes.Fortified armor is better for use with general tanks due to smoke ofc.But i like the b4 insurance,in team games mostly since i stopped playing ost 1 vs 1.Riegel with its fast laying speed is a terror in team games mid-late floating muni.Place well and elfant is unflankable.
17 Feb 2015, 07:40 AM

(The Ostwind should have more armor and the PIV should have more health)

640 is the standard health for medium tanks, and 160 is the standard for damage. Giving it even a single health point more would increase the Shots to Kill from 4 to 5, making it even more superior to other stock tanks.

The StuG being able to take on infantry and armor like the PIV but lacking a turret would make it function like an actual assault gun which is supposed to attack enemy armor and entrenched infantry. You would get a PIV if you need more mobile AI and AT. For instance I would want a StuG if I'm attacking an enemies fortified position, but a PIV If I need to support a more mobile force.

The problem with the dual AI / AT StuG is that it doesn't serve an unfulfilled purpose. The Ostwind is hard AI (also AA), and the Panzer IV is soft AT / soft AI, but the StuG is also soft AT / soft AI. The StuG doesn't really serve much of a role other than being cheaper than a Panzer IV but lacks durability.

Personally, I'd rather see the StuG increased to T-34/76 price and AI lowered, in exchange for armour, health, range, and penetration. HE / AP swap would be fun, but that'd steal the Sherman's thunder.
17 Feb 2015, 07:44 AM

Theres a problem, Ostwind is not hard AI enough for its cost.
Panzer IV is almost as good on AI as the ostwind for 15 fuel difference.
If you need a dedicated AA platform 222 works good and you can use it as a vision car
if you got scopes.

Stug is just not worth the cost period as people have mentioned and
The heart of the issue is how badly Jacksons just wreck P4's
17 Feb 2015, 07:44 AM

640 is the standard health for medium tanks, and 160 is the standard for damage. Giving it even a single health point more would increase the Shots to Kill from 4 to 5, making it even more superior to other stock tanks.

The problem with the dual AI / AT StuG is that it doesn't serve an unfulfilled purpose. The Ostwind is hard AI (also AA), and the Panzer IV is soft AT / soft AI, but the StuG is also soft AT / soft AI. The StuG doesn't really serve much of a role other than being cheaper than a Panzer IV but lacks durability.

Personally, I'd rather see the StuG increased to T-34/76 price and AI lowered, in exchange for armour, health, range, and penetration. HE / AP swap would be fun, but that'd steal the Sherman's thunder.

I would be more than fine with it becoming a dedicated AT tank, I'm just skeptical of how viable it would be only able to fulfill such a roll.

And I would like to see your solution to making the PIV more viable in the current Jackson meta, seeing as it's main gun is fine the only real thing I can think of is a cost decrease or a increase in health and armor.
17 Feb 2015, 07:47 AM

Lmg42 loses to both paras with bars,or 1919 rifles whichever company usf player chose.
And no tiger isn't all that great vs tanks -struggles vs both jackson and easy eights,can only bully shermans - but lacks speed to pursue and finish off.Its mostly a damage sponge/infantry-at gun killer.What u think doesn't change stats .
Supporting your tiger with 1-2 packs and Jacksons or e8 will no problem for you. Three squads of grenadiers with stars and lmg42 wiping rifles in late game. I have always problems with them when iam playing usf.
17 Feb 2015, 07:48 AM

Supporting your tiger with 1-2 packs and Jacksons or e8 will no problem for you. Three squads of grenadiers with stars and lmg42 wiping rifles in late game. I have always problems with them when iam playing usf.

That can go both ways.
PAGES (19)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight