Login

russian armor

Line of fire and game engine mechanisms

14 Feb 2015, 19:35 PM

Hi,

So the idea is simple, let's imagine you have a squad behind another squad and both are firing in front of them on a target. Would it be possible to apply a damage and accuracy penalty to the squad behind?
By this I mean, when you are firing to a target and there are friendly unit in your way, it is clearly more difficult to shot because you could hit them.

I don't know if this idea has been said before, but I don't know if its technically possible with the engine. I suppose it requires a calculation of line of fire.

This would simply reduce blob A-move effectiveness by a lot. But it wouldn't impact a good micro and having squad close to each others but in a line.
14 Feb 2015, 20:02 PM

It might be possible, but it's not a very good idea. It would add more micro tax to already micro heavy game. Making it even harder for new players to get the hang of then it already is.

Blobs have a counter, it's called area of effect weapons. If blobs are performing too well it's because these weapons aren't performing well enough or because the units in the blob themselves are performing too well. If you want to fix blobs these are the areas that should be looked at. Not adding unnecessary mechanics to the game.
14 Feb 2015, 21:14 PM
Donator 11

The game is so micro intensive in 4 v 4 and 3 v 3 matches, I wonder why people even bother to play it
15 Feb 2015, 20:30 PM

is that sarcasm? I load up 4v4 when i feel like playing buy dont have the energy to micro well. You only have to keep your camera forcused on one little portion of the map, not a lot of capping/harrassment, enemy only comes from 1 or 2 directions etc etc
15 Feb 2015, 21:04 PM

I think it is, take it easy.
15 Feb 2015, 22:07 PM

Blobs have a counter, it's called area of effect weapons. If blobs are performing too well it's because these weapons aren't performing well enough or because the units in the blob themselves are performing too well. If you want to fix blobs these are the areas that should be looked at. Not adding unnecessary mechanics to the game.

Problem with that is if area effect weapons are too strong, they start one-shotting regular squads. But if they don't one-shot regular squads, they don't hurt blobs all that much either. Area effect isn't really a counter except for huge ones like democharges or artillery.
15 Feb 2015, 22:12 PM

The game is so micro intensive in 4 v 4 and 3 v 3 matches, I wonder why people even bother to play it

lulwut?? It's an A-move Fest. Soviets spam maxims, USF spams Rfilemen, Ostheer spams LMGgrens, and later in the game OKW Uber/Schreck Blob will make you cry. It's all about being able to build your Zombie A-move army.
15 Feb 2015, 22:57 PM

Problem with that is if area effect weapons are too strong, they start one-shotting regular squads. But if they don't one-shot regular squads, they don't hurt blobs all that much either. Area effect isn't really a counter except for huge ones like democharges or artillery.
There are other ways of buffing units then more aoe and damage. Things like increased reload and rate of fire for instance.

I for one find heavy artillery ineffective for their cost. Considering you pay a heavy tank cost, they really don't feel as effective as heavies.
15 Feb 2015, 23:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Feb 2015, 22:12 PMRMMLz

lulwut?? It's an A-move Fest. Soviets spam maxims, USF spams Rfilemen, Ostheer spams LMGgrens, and later in the game OKW Uber/Schreck Blob will make you cry. It's all about being able to build your Zombie A-move army.

Yeah, maybe some of the tank destroyers and assault guns need a lot of attention and babysitting, and also the Ost Sniper that no one uses but outside of that all four factions can blob pretty hard and do in 4v4s.
16 Feb 2015, 09:28 AM

It's good to see that all factions can blob, but the idea is simply to make A-move blob ineffective since only your front units in the blob would do damage. It forces people to micro his blob.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 91

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight