Login

russian armor

Secure Mode (Soviet Vet1 tank ability)

2 Feb 2015, 23:22 PM
Patrion 14

The ram thread got me thinking : veterancy one for Soviet tanks is basically an ability that allows you to REDUCE YOUR TANKS' COMBAT PRESENCE. And just to be able to do something you probably already can do with your infantry.

Meanwhile, let's see what the other factions' tanks / assault guns get at vet1:
Combat Blitz
Blitzkrieg
Target Weak Point
Bunker Busting Barrage
HVAP Shells
Radio Net

Anyway, fix suggestions:

• Secure mode becomes a passive veterancy ability, like radio net. It gives tanks capping capability at all times. This would actually reward pulling off more maneuvers with Soviet tanks, would allow using them a bit more aggressively, and would increase their defensive potential. A T34 will never be equal to a Panzer, and that is perfectly fine; in return, let's increase its utility.
  • "Secure mode" becomes "Offensive Maneuvers". Cost 20 munitions, duration 20 seconds, allows tanks to decap only, decap speed increased by 100%. This would reinforce the notion that Soviet armour is a flanking force used to pull off pincer maneuvers.
  • "Secure mode" becomes "Insecure mode". Tank drivers will start moping about their various social anxiety issues until you click vodka button for 15 munitions. And if you think this is a joke, I still think it would be an upgrade over the current Secure Mode.

2 Feb 2015, 23:32 PM

Vet 1 allows for conscripts to ride the tank, allowing it to cap (but the turret's rotation is limited obviously to avoid knocking off the passenger)?

Or something. Imperative reverse blitz must exist in the game, but no infantry can ride armor.
2 Feb 2015, 23:50 PM
Donator 11

Not to mention OST breakthru doctrine where vehicles get a speed buff and decap cutoff points in three seconds
2 Feb 2015, 23:57 PM
Patrion 14

^That has nothing to do with veterancy
3 Feb 2015, 00:07 AM

Not to mention OST breakthru doctrine where vehicles get a speed buff and decap cutoff points in three seconds

that cost 50 fuel, not munition, you know?
3 Feb 2015, 07:23 AM

what you mean you dont send your most valuable units around the map with its main weapon turned off to capture territories, risk hitting mines, and stumbling around in front of pak guns?

they should just give t34s and t70s timed vehicle detection ability. lets you detect nearby vehicles through the fog of war...
3 Feb 2015, 07:33 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Am I the only person that thinks this is useful?

It's not as good as blitz, but it is free and there are times I am glad I have it
3 Feb 2015, 07:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I think it is OK for T-70s, but would like to see it replaced with something else on the other Soviet tanks. If you keep a T-70 alive into the late-game, you're usually using it to either give LoS with Recon Mode or to chase away pesky pioneer squads harassing your peripheral points. The ability to re-capture territories is handy.
3 Feb 2015, 08:15 AM

Your option No.2 kinda makes sense. I don't want it to become a passive ability because Soviets don't have too much problem with map control (for the love of god please do not start a UBERS KILL MY CONS I CANT CAPTURE thread, that's another issue).

Secure mode is kinda useless as you said, but spending some muni for a blitzkrieg like ability seems cool and at least you can sometimes rely on it.
3 Feb 2015, 09:18 AM

You can use it to prevent the enemy capturing a vital fuel or VP with a T34 or even IS2 if its desperate enough ahd you dont have inf handy or they have too much AI around.
3 Feb 2015, 10:19 AM
Patrion 27

I have won more than one 1v1 match that was down to the wire where I put my KV-1 or T34 on the vp and activated this ability while my opponent had an mg42 or something trying to de-cap.

If we were to replace the ability with something more combat-oriented I would definitely still want the T70 to keep it.
3 Feb 2015, 10:20 AM

You can use it to prevent the enemy capturing a vital fuel or VP with a T34 or even IS2 if its desperate enough ahd you dont have inf handy or they have too much AI around.

Or you could have some good ability on T34 or even IS-2 which would save your infantry or clean area from enemy AI. Touche.
3 Feb 2015, 10:33 AM

I love this ability but don't use it much on the heavier tanks.
3 Feb 2015, 10:34 AM

I once capped VP with KV-2.
3 Feb 2015, 12:17 PM
Patrion 14

Don't get me wrong, I see the reasoning behind the ability. It was designed back when it was just up against Ostheer, who are supposed to have MGs coming out of their ass. Tanks allow you to cap an MG-protected point. The problem is, who the hell has MGs without at least some AT within a 15 second response time?

See, with ram, you could argue it is an added option - so if you don't use it, no skin off your nose. Your tank is no worse off for having at least the OPTION and it does increase the utility somewhat.

The same cannot be said for Secure mode - tanks generally get some new, useful function at veterancy level 1, so getting Secure Mode is not so much an added option, but rather a missed opportunity to gain a valuable ability.

That Secure Mode is not as useful as blitzkrieg is an understatement of the century. Germans get a survivability and speed buff, practically a get out of jail free card. Soviets get the ability to turn your valuable tank into something that cannot fight. It is not useless - and you will notice my propositions to change the ability still revolve around territory control.

tl;dr : if territory capping at vet1 was passive and always on, would Secure Mode become overpowered, keeping Blitzkrieg in mind?
3 Feb 2015, 12:24 PM

I kinda love this ability... incredibly useful in the lategame whenever you lack manpower or infantry presence on the field ( either lost or sitting in base). I once have won an incredibly close game by capping VP's with an IS2.
3 Feb 2015, 13:15 PM

Strongest ability EVER, putting an vetted IS2 onto VP in the last VP ticking race = I win
3 Feb 2015, 13:25 PM
Patrion 14

Strongest ability EVER, putting an vetted IS2 onto VP in the last VP ticking race = I win
Excellent! You wouldn't mind trading that for Blitzkrieg then?
3 Feb 2015, 13:31 PM

Blitzkrieg will ultimately be nerfed. At least if Relic won't be retarded.
3 Feb 2015, 13:36 PM

Blitzkrieg will ultimately be nerfed. At least if Relic won't be retarded.

It was nerfed once into totally worthless state, 30 muni for increasing acceleration a little bit and little RNG protection, and Allies fanboy stated HOW USEFUL it is, and it is buffed again to this state.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 38
unknown 22
Poland 9
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %