Login

russian armor

Sturmtiger post changes

30 Jan 2015, 14:54 PM
Patrion 28

This unit would be alot better if they fixed the vet 1 ability on it so that it is actually useful.

the vet ability is stupid but preforms ok. you can use to to pick off a model or two from setup teams without firing the rocket and the cooldown feels like it's 15-30 seconds. it's basically free damage, not a significant game changer.
30 Jan 2015, 15:13 PM

And a 160 fuel ultra-niche unit that cannot defend itself against anything isn't a significant investment?

The Panther is zero risk compared to the Sturmtiger. If you get a Panther and he doesn't get any Tanks, you just have the DPS of LMG Grenadiers rolling around protected by 320 armour and 800 health. If you get a Sturmtiger and he does go for Tanks, the Sturmtiger cannot defend itself. It sounds like you Schreck Blob so obviously that's less of a concern. The point is a bad Sturmtiger can lose you the game, but a bad Panther simply means you do less damage than you could have.

I agree with this. How is ST unit useful again? It makes blobs retreat? Why not use stuka? Every time the stuka fires blobs retreat and if you do it right it still kills infantry. Also it can move while reloading, and does it instantly after the shot, not waiting until you hide it before the animation can begin. Both units let your opponent know they are not going to see any armor any time soon.

The vet 1 grenade is literally worthless. It consumes ammunition and kills at most 1-2 models. Why not use volks grenade and wipe squads? It should be like an s-mine on front of tank to keep infantry from hugging the vehicle.
30 Jan 2015, 15:21 PM

I would be already happy with Sturmtiger if they do something about Vet1 ability and work on reliability so it actually hits where you target. It will be a niche unit still, but that is fine to me. I like to use it to get rid of static weapons completely. However, since you cannot even be sure that you hit a static target currently because the rocket goes god knows where I won't build it anymore.

The Stuka is terrible for that purpose, I don't know why people are so obsessed with the Stuka, most of the time it doesn't even kill the whole crew of a team in my experience.
30 Jan 2015, 15:24 PM
Patrion 28

the stuka has to fire to force a retreat, the stiger does not.
30 Jan 2015, 16:28 PM

And a 160 fuel ultra-niche unit that cannot defend itself against anything isn't a significant investment?

The Panther is zero risk compared to the Sturmtiger. If you get a Panther and he doesn't get any Tanks, you just have the DPS of LMG Grenadiers rolling around protected by 320 armour and 800 health. If you get a Sturmtiger and he does go for Tanks, the Sturmtiger cannot defend itself. It sounds like you Schreck Blob so obviously that's less of a concern. The point is a bad Sturmtiger can lose you the game, but a bad Panther simply means you do less damage than you could have.

Nobody is saying that a Sturmtiger is always a good choice, and that it cannot be a bad investment. But a Panther can be a dumb investment as well if your getting it to counter infantry which is not it's main purpose.

For example, if I'm facing a lot of medium armor it makes sense to get a Jadgpanzer if I have the HQ, if I don't then I get a Panther. Similarly, if I'm facing massive amounts of support weapons and I have a Mechanized HQ I can get a stuka, but If I don't I can get a sturmtiger. See how this works out?

And again this is entirely dependent on the game mode. The Panther shines greatly in 1's and 2's because it's typically going 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 versus enemy armor. In 3's and 4's the amount of tanks your facing ramps up and so does the amount of tank destroyers. You also have to deal with a lot more blobs in 3's and 4's as well which makes the Sturmtiger more useful more often.

I think this disagreement is happening because we are all talking about different game modes, I honestly don't think a Panther is -always- a good investment, it is mostof the time but if your facing a skilled player the Panther's value greatly reduces if it's not fighting what it should be.
30 Jan 2015, 16:38 PM

Why in the world the strumtiger needed nerfing is beyond me. Its dangerous to buy as a fuel starved faction, dangerous to reload its single shot at a time, hardly anyone built it in the first place and it cant defend itself vs anything. A percentage of the time it shoots shot blockers instead of aimpoint and has a very very niche use so making it harder to use doesnt seem to have any real justification.

+1

I play mostly large team games, and I see ST every 15 to 20 games, it's that rare. And not without reason.
IMO ST should be totally different animal. First of it should be a doctrinal "terror" unit. It really has no business as an option in the doctrine that already has KT and JT, that's just plain' ridiculous !? And as a doctrinal unit on the other hand, it should profit from the range buff (at least 30-50%) 'cause with that single shot/manual reload/duration/staying still it really makes the appearance mostly as the troll unit at the end of the match. I mean if the ISU can selfspot and squadwipe from the 70+ range, then why ST wouldn't be able to do a little more from the range of 55 I guess ?
30 Jan 2015, 17:38 PM

I really like the SturmTiger.

I think it is tempting but dangerous to compare the panther with sturmtiger . Yes they come from the same tier and have a similar fuel cost, but that is where the similarities end.

The panther will compliment a wide array of builds and strategies, where as the SturmTiger, imo works best with an army built around it.

Its easy to make a defensive stronghold with OKW. But tricky to hold fringe sectors on a map. A sturmtiger can work beautifully with this by having a couple rakketens in buildings protected by your flak truck andbinfantry as a fall back point for the tank to reload, helping to make up for the lack of a panther.

You gain the ability to dish out very heavy damage to places your main force might struggle to reach, while also forcing the engagement to somewhere you have chosen, thats if your opponent wants to attempt to take it out.

Only the stuka can provide this kind of indirect fire, but is not as lethal and comes in tier 3. Stiger allows u to go medics + flak.

Side note, I really like it with special forces doctrine, flare can spot for it and command panther increases its sight and also movement which is quite helpful.
30 Jan 2015, 17:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2015, 17:48 PMRollo
What do you think of it now they removed unit targeting and nerfed the range in exchange for being able to ignore geometry?

Personally I think they made it even less useful, if you ask me Relic should either revert the changes or buff the range by about 30%. The unit isn't even useful against a ZiS wall anymore since you need to practically drive up to point blank and aim for 4 seconds to hit anything

Undo changes. As a former Sturmtiger fan i totally agree with your estimation.
31 Jan 2015, 14:48 PM

on a side note, When I first saw the sturmtiger in the Western fronts trailer, my first thought was "how long will it take relic to nerf that into oblivion"

much longer than I expected but I'm sure they'll probaly nerf the grenade launcher soon.

Sturmtiger grenade abilty moved to vet 5.

SturmTiger vet 5 inreased to "you will never see that shi... ever" from "you will probably never see that shi"

Sturmtiger crew now needs to exit the vehicle to use the grenade ability.

Sturmtiger range reduced to 30.

Sturmtiger must purchase tracks before moving.
31 Jan 2015, 15:49 PM

on a side note, When I first saw the sturmtiger in the Western fronts trailer, my first thought was "how long will it take relic to nerf that into oblivion"

much longer than I expected but I'm sure they'll probaly nerf the grenade launcher soon.

Sturmtiger grenade abilty moved to vet 5.

SturmTiger vet 5 inreased to "you will never see that shi... ever" from "you will probably never see that shi"

Sturmtiger crew now needs to exit the vehicle to use the grenade ability.

Sturmtiger range reduced to 30.

Sturmtiger must purchase tracks before moving.

Haha hilarious!

Sturmtiger Vet1: Sturmtiger can now utilize its maingun.
31 Jan 2015, 16:00 PM

Sturmtiger needs buffs. That's for sure.
Going for ST in 1v1 is suicide.

It's really hard to catch something with it.
The biggest impact is when enemy does not know there is ST and you will surprise him with shot around the corner or something like that but later it's just scary unit that does not shoot.
31 Jan 2015, 16:41 PM

SturmTiger can one shot Jackson or any AT gun. Can catch enemy blob and is durable. You need some micro and it is problem? If someone want easy tool of doom, walking stuka wait for you.
In 1v1 you need lucky shot (you can oneshot Jackson), but in team games, is very strong with proper use.
31 Jan 2015, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2015, 16:41 PMAradan
SturmTiger can one shot Jackson or any AT gun. Can catch enemy blob and is durable. You need some micro and it is problem? If someone want easy tool of doom, walking stuka wait for you.
In 1v1 you need lucky shot (you can oneshot Jackson), but in team games, is very strong with proper use.

Yes the ST can 1 shot a jackson, but your opponent would need to be brain dead to allow this to happen. The Jackson has hugely higher range and speed so just because it can does not mean anything. In fact a single jackson is enough to make it fall back since 3 penetrating shots and you realize you should have picked a panther.
31 Jan 2015, 19:21 PM

Yes the ST can 1 shot a jackson, but your opponent would need to be brain dead to allow this to happen. The Jackson has hugely higher range and speed so just because it can does not mean anything. In fact a single jackson is enough to make it fall back since 3 penetrating shots and you realize you should have picked a panther.

inb4 160 fuel kills 135 fuel.
1 Feb 2015, 05:06 AM

Permanently Banned

Yes the ST can 1 shot a jackson, but your opponent would need to be brain dead to allow this to happen.

pathing...
1 Feb 2015, 07:25 AM

pathing...

pathing for tanks in this game is basically ever 3/5 drivers are drunk. Somehow survive the tank death and hop into another tank to do the same dumb driving.
1 Feb 2015, 08:09 AM

Permanently Banned

pathing for tanks in this game is basically ever 3/5 drivers are drunk. Somehow survive the tank death and hop into another tank to do the same dumb driving.

Yea...

Plenty of time u tell ur tank to reverse. you take ur eyes of for 1 second, only to find that it is spinning in place trying to get past a bush

:foreveralone:
1 Feb 2015, 09:32 AM

Increase range to 45 - 50.
1 Feb 2015, 18:28 PM

pathing...

So the ST is balanced as long as pathing remains inconsistent?

Seriously though why is a Jackson allowing a ST to ever get close let alone raise the gun and fire? If you lose a tank to the ST that is entirely your own fault.
1 Feb 2015, 19:09 PM

Permanently Banned

So the ST is balanced as long as pathing remains inconsistent?

Seriously though why is a Jackson allowing a ST to ever get close let alone raise the gun and fire? If you lose a tank to the ST that is entirely your own fault.

its map dependent
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS