28 Jan 2015, 05:06 AM

Permanently Banned
Yeah a range buff would be nice.

no it wouldnt
28 Jan 2015, 05:15 AM

useless? you are crazy :D
28 Jan 2015, 05:23 AM

no it wouldnt

I admit it's not a bad unit, but it is an underused one. It having better range would be a good way towards making it a little more practical.
28 Jan 2015, 08:02 AM

the sturmtiger is a really niche unit that really excels in deleting support weapons, and being a blob deterrent.

generally, you want to use it break up defensive lines such as AT guns, HMGs and mortars. a sturmtiger will pretty much always win you a war of attrition, since you'll be deleting whole support weapon teams with each shot. lets say you kill an AT gun that is 270mp, and maybe a couple infantry models near it. youve deleted a weapon that has a high impact on the battlefield, and youre able to pullback, reload and get ready to delete another team BEFORE THE ENEMY HAS ENOUGH MP TO REPLACE THEIR LOSSES.

Deleting support weapons REALLY adds up in the late game. This is especially true against the 120mm mortar, which costs A LOT of manpower to replace, as well as the pack howitzer. just keep firing at slow moving teams and you'll rack up kills and make it easier to break apart the enemy with your infantry and vehicles.

it excels particularly in semoisky and ettlebruck since theres so many line of sight blockers for it to shoot through.

occasionally youll get a good hit on an infantry blob, and thats pretty game winning. any vehicle caught in the blast radius gets an immobilized crit from what i can tell, but personally i only shoot it at vehicles if theres ntohing else to shoot it at.

you want to get this vehicle when the game is at a stalemate and you already have sufficient AT (volks, raketens, JP4, panther, allied paks, etc) to deal with enemy armor.
28 Jan 2015, 08:08 AM

If you are not using it conjunction with your infantry your doing it wrong obviously, it's excellent as bait/damage soaker as well as a great blob deterrent.

Yes, but I mean at the current state, they can see it coming and decent players spread out or retreat when they see or here it. It's also not a very stealthy unit or unless the blob is completely static, they will see it and either retreat or spread out. So you will end up killing 1 squad at best, then retreat, reload and do it again.

That's why you suggest a range buff. So at least you can surprise your enemy. I'm even fine with a penetration or damage nerf, so you can easily counter blobs without killing tanks.
28 Jan 2015, 08:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 08:08 AMRMMLz
So you will end up killing 1 squad at best

wiping one squad every minute is very good.
28 Jan 2015, 08:18 AM

wiping one squad every minute is very good.

Yea I'm not arguing that, maybe it's a L2P problem for me because I can't even kill one squad per minute. But I still think it needs some tweaks.

To be honest, it used to have a huge psychological effect on the enemy which was great. I can't forget people retreating their whole army when they saw it aiming. It still does against newbies.
28 Jan 2015, 08:21 AM
Donator 33

Most maps have plenty of places with sight blockers - you just need to use something as bait. The change made it way more reliable if you can be bothered with sneaky positioning.

In 4v4 (everybody blobs) it can kinda pay its way without firing. You just patrol around the front lines and everything retreats when it sees you. Last time I only fired twice in the whole game... the constant threat of a loaded sturmtiger seems more intimidating than the occasional support weapon wipe.
28 Jan 2015, 08:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 08:18 AMRMMLz

Yea I'm not arguing that, maybe it's a L2P problem for me because I can't even kill one squad per minute. But I still think it needs some tweaks.

To be honest, it used to have a huge psychological effect on the enemy which was great. I can't forget people retreating their whole army when they saw it aiming. It still does against newbies.

as i mentioned in my first post, just use it to kill support weapons since you will be inflicting HUGE manpower damage and will be breaking the legs of the allies. support weapons usually wont be able to get out of the radius of the blast if you aim it correctly.

honestly i think it would be super OP with a range buff. the sturm would be able to shoot from outside a units sight range, meaning theres no opportunity to react to it at all. you'll just see a huge ass rocket heading towards your infantry and before you can even retreat youll have lost a squad that mightve been vet 3 or had weapon upgrades, where as the enemy spent nothing other than purchasing the sturm itself.
28 Jan 2015, 08:32 AM

If you think that the Sturmtiger is useless then you've
A: Never used it at all
or
B:Never used it properly

If you can use this unit well, you can wipe key units with one shot, I would love if it cost less and did less damage, atm it is less viable when a Panther which is just a more conservative choice is 15(?) more fuel.

Just think, do you really need More Anti tank with 4+ Shrek volks running around :snfBarton:
28 Jan 2015, 08:47 AM

...just use it to kill support weapons since you will be inflicting HUGE manpower damage and will be breaking the legs of the allies. support weapons usually wont be able to get out of the radius of the blast if you aim it correctly...
purchasing the sturm itself.

You persuaded me to use it in my future games. Gonna try that approuch. Tnx
28 Jan 2015, 11:13 AM

Lemonjuice is correct it is the best anti support weapon out their able to wipe out a squad or more every minute. But it is possible to fire out of the los by targeting your target at the edge of the circle thus giving you 5 extra range. you need the infra red track for it to be really effective.
28 Jan 2015, 11:19 AM
Benefactor 115

Completely overshadowed by the stuka, never ever seen one in an even game
28 Jan 2015, 11:50 AM
Patrion 14

The unit is awesome, but I rarely get to build it. Yes it will wipe support weapons but at this time in the game Obers and potentially Stukas are on the field. It might scare away infantry (a good player will just spot the gun being aimed and move at a leisurly pace, literally, outside the blast radius). But, a Panther will net you juicy tank kills, completely negate enemy medium tank rushes, as well as inflict manpower drain on enemy infantry with its MGs.

It is a bit of a niche unit, a siege breaker, good at its job, but the meta does not favour it. You will want a Panther or a KT in 95% of the cases. Does this mean the unit should be buffed? Not really. It just highlights how insanely useful the rest of OKW T4 is.
28 Jan 2015, 13:31 PM

So I am the only one who experiences bugged behaviour of the Sturmtiger?
28 Jan 2015, 14:10 PM

the sturmtiger is exactly the unit you need when dealing with massive zis+ maxim camp blobs
28 Jan 2015, 14:25 PM

We don't need to BUFF the range on the Sturmtiger, this monster already has enough armor to deflect majority of the shots coming from the front. I think the unit is fine in terms of balance.
28 Jan 2015, 16:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 13:31 PMgokkel
So I am the only one who experiences bugged behaviour of the Sturmtiger?

I have had it hit terrain (or something) after its change as well, wasting its shot.
28 Jan 2015, 17:08 PM

Permanently Banned
Sturm is fine honestly
29 Jan 2015, 01:39 AM

I've never used a Sturmtiger because a Panther or even King Tiger is always a better choice. Even the Panzer IV's are a better choice. If you want a delete buttom, then the Stuka zu Fuß is cheaper and more reliable. The Sturmtiger is just a giant gimmick, unfortunately.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★