Login

russian armor

Automatch System & Ranking

13 Jan 2015, 20:17 PM

Hi,

I feel that this game urgently needs some strats to separate players skills. I know we arent a lot and this will make to wait a bit long for a match but is a must for seducing new players who try to play mp. I say "try" cuz its really imposible to play a team game if ur new.

I tried to bring some friends from sc2 but they fell frustrated in automatch cuz they always play vs skill players. And I sometimes get bored cuz my team is bad and the other is good. I dont care loosing, but if the match is super unfair its really boring.

I always end making closed matchs with my coh2 friends and we try to make fair teams and when that happens this game is really good and entertaining. You didnt notice a lot balance problems in similar skills team matchs.

TLDR;

Make different leagues so players with similar skills matchup togheter. It would bring motivation for new and avg players. And the most important, it would bring really good fights.

Edit:Sorry didnt notice l4hti post talking about this.
13 Jan 2015, 20:37 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

The reason experienced players get matched up with non-experienced players is because the playerbase is so small. That means if nobody is searching with your ELO, you get matched with someone below yours.
13 Jan 2015, 20:46 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Also: whenever you have a new arranged team, you have 10 games before the system gives you a proper ELO.
13 Jan 2015, 20:48 PM

The reason experienced players get matched up with non-experienced players is because the playerbase is so small. That means if nobody is searching with your ELO, you get matched with someone below yours.

Yes its true, but i prefer waiting a lot and have a good match than playing fast and get stomped and bored in 10 min.
13 Jan 2015, 20:55 PM

I dont disagree necessarly. But. Reset your search, dont let it expand the parameters, and you more or less get what you wish for.

Beeing able to set those yourselfs would be ideal.

You play axis mostly? Justa guess because the long waiting time leads to more or less random matchmaking.

Ingame ranking beeing shown and stuff like that would also go a long way for motivation i think. And people who play with extending search for fast games apreciating the fact they have been schooled when they see a 2 digit rankers has whooped their 5 digit ass.
13 Jan 2015, 21:18 PM

You know this is not league of legends with 3M players right? I don't think they can do anything about it. Try playing at peak hours. And in my experience, if you want to introduce this game to someone you have to coach them in compstomp and then watch a few high level games in a party with them. If they are RTS players they will learn the game pretty quickly.
13 Jan 2015, 21:23 PM

Play compstomp until your SC2 mates get use to the game.
13 Jan 2015, 21:23 PM

There is tousands of active players of the "scrub a-move" level.

Matchmaking problems start only if you are rank 400 or better, where its difficult to find you equal game, because you're either getting a scrub in placement or top 10.

It all comes down to population and general lack of actually good players.
I mean, my best rank was 47. I definitely do not consider myself as top 50 player. That speaks about how many good players are there, because bads will always have equal games with other bads, no game ever lacked in bads.

And nothing but huge regular good player surges will get top 400 players get equal games regularly.
13 Jan 2015, 21:55 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2015, 20:37 PMluvnest

Thats the theory, yes.

The CoH1 matchup algorithm attempted to find a suitable enemy based on your ELO rating. Lets assume the algorithm works the same way and it is not able to find a suitable opponent during a given period of time. So the search radius gets expanded and the process starts again.

But there is one problem: When i am searching the algorithm doesn't even try to find a opponent with a ELO rating similar to mine. It takes about three (!) seconds and i get matched with someone with a rank about 1000 below mine. Thats way to fast. Something like this shouldn't happen. It never did in CoH1 even during the time the player numbers start dropping. But in CoH2 this happens very often.
13 Jan 2015, 22:13 PM

I dont disagree necessarly. But. Reset your search, dont let it expand the parameters, and you more or less get what you wish for.

This only goes so far. I've had incidents where I've got instantly matched vs a top 20-50 player because he simply has been searching for so long, I can't do anything about it.

This is the answer to what Fanatic posted too.
13 Jan 2015, 22:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2015, 22:13 PMTNrg

This only goes so far. I've had incidents where I've got instantly matched vs a top 20-50 player because he simply has been searching for so long, I can't do anything about it.

This is the answer to what Fanatic posted too.

I don't use celo, so i really have no idea abpout correlation between search time and search radius. I would have thought it takes a while and the radius be few hundred tolreance at best.

Katitof gave a nice reason, why a few hundred would make sence considering the playerbase. As such if you'd be roughly one thousand it could be ok. And Fanatic would be within that range too, if it'd be an exception to usually getting oponents closer in rank when only searching for a short period.

13 Jan 2015, 22:25 PM

I don't use celo, so i really have no idea abpout correlation between search time and search radius. I would have thought it takes a while and the radius be few hundred tolreance at best.

No one really knows how the automatching exactly works, just the principle. I'd say after 5-10 mins of searching you can get basically anyone against you.
13 Jan 2015, 22:40 PM

Permanently Banned
Go play for Barsa its be better :p
HALA MADRID :snfBarton:.
13 Jan 2015, 23:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2015, 22:25 PMTNrg

No one really knows how the automatching exactly works, just the principle. I'd say after 5-10 mins of searching you can get basically anyone against you.

Somehow i cant get celo running. Once i have i will keep track of celo range of matches with controlled maximum time untill search reset.

Maybe someone else does already and shares the data to us, or wants to do the same. Feel invited! You know them statistics, the more the merrier!
14 Jan 2015, 01:24 AM

Play compstomp until your SC2 mates get use to the game.

Yea, its a good way to start, but dunno maybe this game needs some strats so you can fight in MP beeing a noob player too. For example in Sc2 in bronze league you will be matched vs noobs skill. So you learn playing.

Why this game didnt show rankings? why didnt have a basic thing ingame like that? Its a must for people motivation. I just cant understand why they didnt put it. Its basic for a multiplayer game!!!!! comeon!!

Go play for Barsa its be better :p
HALA MADRID :snfBarton:.

LOL i follow Madrid too. Here in Argentina everybody follow RMadrid.
14 Jan 2015, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Why don't we show rankings? Because it made people instantly surrender/quit before the game started.

While stupid, it was one of the reason they hide the starts and level on the loading screen.
14 Jan 2015, 03:38 AM

while i agree that the playerbase is too small to do any fancy stuff, the current mm is far from perfect.

THis is what they should do imo:

Lets pretend you are rank 1

1. begin search
2. does not find anyone from 1-50 (im just putting an arbitrary number).
3. Now starts looking at rank 1-100
4. Finds no one
5. Now starts looking at rank 1-200
6. Now the mm should "locK" at a suitable range where you can still get a decent matchup but it will not match you up against too easy or hard of an opponent

obviously the search ranges are subject to change and debate, but this is my general idea.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★