Login

russian armor

Dropped weapons

9 Jan 2015, 01:12 AM
Donator 11

Ptrs is not as bad as you guys say, it's just another victim of heavy tank meta. AT rifle can harm and kill all light and medium vehicles (not counting panther as medium) that germans can field. Even p4 has paper armour without vet and you can help guards with buildings, mines, at nades, button and eventually mark target. They also do quite significant damage to okw trucks even after setting up. The problem with guards is that the squad is multi role and as such is very flexible but not super effective in any given role, still they can be used very effectively, they just need specific playstyle that utilisises all of the abilities and weapons they have not removing their PTRS, if you want pure AI squad you can always go with shocks.
9 Jan 2015, 01:28 AM

PPSH should drop since german soldiers (especially in stalingrad,need a source) loved to pick them up an use them over their MP40s. Otherwise i think everything that should drop is dropping already.

Actually they used them because German Infantry rarely got Sub Machineguns, those were usually reserved for squad leaders, officers, vehicle crews, and PDWs for rear-echelon personnel. Most soldiers used Bolt-Action Rifles while the squad-level firepower came from the portable Machine Gun. The Russian Army on the other hand lacked Machine Guns in the early war, but made up for it with large numbers of Submachine Guns. Russia even had entire divisions armed with SMG's, which was very different from German SMG use. As a result German soldiers in Stalingrad preferred to scavenge PPD and PPSh SMG's to replace their Kar 98k Rifles as they were much better suited for the environment.
9 Jan 2015, 02:33 AM

Stuff.

Just as a little sidenote: The Germans attempted to try and re-kit the MP40 into a high-capacity submachinegun in response to the Soviet doctrine of the heavy usage of PPSh-41 and PPD-40 submachineguns. The MP40/I with a dual-magazine system that worked by sliding one magazine to the side, latching the other in place in the process was the "solution" to the problematic issue of the MP40's viability in sustained firefights. They didn't perform very well.

9 Jan 2015, 03:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2015, 02:33 AMeebies

Just as a little sidenote: The Germans attempted to try and re-kit the MP40 into a high-capacity submachinegun in response to the Soviet doctrine of the heavy usage of PPSh-41 and PPD-40 submachineguns. The MP40/I with a dual-magazine system that worked by sliding one magazine to the side, latching the other in place in the process was the "solution" to the problematic issue of the MP40's viability in sustained firefights. They didn't perform very well.

if i remember correctly one of the reasons was because it disrupted the balance of the weapon.
9 Jan 2015, 03:39 AM

Guards with LMG are the ol' Loot Goblins. Good times.
9 Jan 2015, 07:15 AM

if its the kind of weapon that has a max of 2 per squad (lmgs, bazookas,..) then it can be dropped.

I think theres a few good reasons for this,

1- it would screw up most squads (eg grenadiers excel in long range, picking up a ppsh would be a nerf for them)

2- weapons would be dropping constantly and itd be hard to figure out which ones the important ones are

3- to play the game well youd have to know the exact stats of every minor weapon type. eg what does more damage a mp40 or a ppsh? - as it stands all you need to know right now is that theyre close quarters weapons.
9 Jan 2015, 17:03 PM

There is a 'pillage' system in place that's different than dropped slot items. It seems to function by hovering over the body (even dead) of a fallen enemy/friendly, and whatever that entity was last armed with, you obtain for the first entity in the squad that doesn't have a slot item, be it a Lt's Thompson, or the crusty old Mosin that that Pacifist Engineer just dropped. I still don't have it working, and it's not enabled in game, but it's in the game's files.

EDIT: Also get that Nub Cannon 40/I out of this thread. Bane of my existence in RO2. I master the tough-to-use PPSh-41 in that game (high recoil, because reasons), and everyone and their dog spams their no-recoil death cannon from 250m, full auto. Blech. A right pain in the ass to reload, though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★