Login

russian armor

Received accuracy vs Infantry armour

7 Jan 2015, 04:45 AM

If I understand correctly, received accuracy affects the chance of getting hit while armour affects the damage taken by making shots "bounce" off.

IIRC, suppression is added if a hit is rolled so received accuracy only serve to make it worse for the MG instead which is why we have units like Ober/Paras/Grens/Rifles/Volks just "ignore" suppression by MG.

What if armour is put in place of received accuracy? The MG would still roll a hit - no damage (reduced damage if the idea in the next paragraph is considered) is done if it fails to penetrate but the suppression should be adding up though. MGs won't be useless against these squads and might work better assuming they don't "outDPS" you. :snfCHVGame:

You might have those situations where soldiers start tanking and take no damage but I think (not sure about this) that can be solved with implementing deflection damage. Also, isn't there an immunity system where you can make certain things immune to certain types of weapons? Tanks are immune to small-arms so the deflection damage maybe (not sure) won't hurt the tank at all and only work against infantry. Thoughts?
7 Jan 2015, 04:52 AM

Tanks are immune to small arms because of armor, not because of a special property.

Unless HMG42 AP rounds are magical... (So i might be wrong. Hadnt tested giving infantry ridiculously high pen and have them shoot at tanks. :P)

Armor makes infantry visually take a lot of hits, in which i referred to battles between conscripts and grenadiers of old as "cap gun" skirmishes - no one would get hurt from weapons. But i would think received accuracy makes HMG's less effective as opposed to armor, in which HMG's have more than one penetration. Technically your suggestion would make HMG's more useful against infantry with super received accuracy.
7 Jan 2015, 04:53 AM

Armor makes infantry visually take a lot of hits, in which i referred to battles between conscripts and grenadiers of old as "cap gun" skirmishes. But i would think received accuracy makes HMG's less effective as opposed to armor, in which HMG's have more than one penetration. Technically your suggestion would make HMG's more useful against infantry with super received accuracy.
Exactly, right now we're seeing a lot of bum rush with infantry because HMGs can't stop them at all. This might just work to promote better play.
7 Jan 2015, 05:05 AM
Patrion 28

i think giving received accuracy with vet (less than is currently given) but having units start with armour instead of vet would be the ideal situation. that way pen weapons, like bars, matter, but units don't become harder to pen as they vet. overall i'm not really sure what the RNG difference is between armour and received accuracy except that relic likes received accuracy more right now.
7 Jan 2015, 05:16 AM

As I understand it, suppression is incurred when you are shot at, regardless of hit or miss. Accuracy has nothing to do with suppression. Cover just lowers the amount of suppression dealt per shot.

7 Jan 2015, 05:19 AM

As I understand it, suppression is incurred when you are shot at, regardless of hit or miss. Accuracy has nothing to do with suppression. Cover just lowers the amount of suppression dealt per shot.

Suppression should be affected by accuracy. It would explain why shooting at vehicles sometimes is the best way to suppress the infantry around it especially if you're using the MG42.
7 Jan 2015, 06:21 AM

^This.
Suppression is affected by rate of fire and suppression value.

Also, the only infantry unit in game with armor are shocks and on top of that, LMGs/HMGs penetration negates huge part of their armor.
7 Jan 2015, 06:26 AM

The 42 has area suppression (and so do all MG's except the maxim), so it deals suppression in an area around whatever it's shooting at. No idea how big said area is.
8 Jan 2015, 04:33 AM
Patrion 28

http://www.coh2-stats.com/small_arms/maxim_m1910_hmg_mp

Code

Suppression
Suppression far:
Suppression radius:
Nerby multiplier:

http://www.coh2-stats.com/small_arms/hmg_team_mg42_mp

Code

Suppression
Suppression far:
Suppression radius:
Nerby multiplier:
8 Jan 2015, 06:18 AM

I think vet should confer mainly survivability bonuses until vet 3 (or 5 i guess for OKW) for nearly all units. Reduced received accuracy, health, armor, REGEN, more squad members, etc.
8 Jan 2015, 19:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2015, 04:53 AMsteel
Exactly, right now we're seeing a lot of bum rush with infantry because HMGs can't stop them at all. This might just work to promote better play.

Looked up Relic's changelog when they changed Ubersoldaten armor to received accuracy:
http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog/page4

Sep 9 2014
Obersoldaten

We converted the unit’s armor into received accuracy, as received accuracy blends in better with the current structure of infantry combat. Units can negate the received accuracy through veterancy and positioning; whereas, armor is only negated through penetration which heavy weapons possess. Additionally, the damage of the KAR 98 was increased to offset the damage reduction on the LMG34.
KAR 98 damage from 14 to 16
Armor from 1.25 to 1
Received accuracy modifier from 0.87 to 0.7

The reason given was that infantry received accuracy can be overcome by veterancy (as vet infantry units gains accuracy bonuses), whereas armor does not(as no vet infantry unit gains penetration).
9 Jan 2015, 06:18 AM

Looked up Relic's changelog when they changed Ubersoldaten armor to received accuracy:
http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog/page4

The reason given was that infantry received accuracy can be overcome by veterancy (as vet infantry units gains accuracy bonuses), whereas armor does not(as no vet infantry unit gains penetration).
Take note that my suggestion is based on the information I had before where suppression is only added when it rolls a hit. I got this information from the strategy desk when I asked over there last time. Katitof and others say that suppression is not affected by hit/miss and only depends on base suppression value and rate of fire.

Therefore, if suppressions is affected by hit/miss, then my what I suggested would make the MGs more consistent regardless of vet which would stop blobs of high dps units just rushing MG crews all the time due to them not having received accuracy that makes them avoid bullets which means no suppression.

If hit/miss doesn't matter, then this idea of mine will not apply.

I'm not sure exactly which is true but I'm going to believe that received accuracy affects suppression because I can shoot at squads and not suppress them but shooting at a vehicle next to them for 100% accuracy and let the AoE suppression make them hit the dirt instantly.
9 Jan 2015, 20:34 PM

http://www.coh2-stats.com/small_arms/maxim_m1910_hmg_mp

<Da truth>

[/code]

Oh it does eh? The area multiplier's just half a what the 42 does. Cool.
11 Jan 2015, 18:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yes and no.

Accuracy does not affect suppression against the squad itself, but it affects splash suppression. Basically:

For every bullet shot at the target squad it will receive the suppression value of the bullet multiplied with the cover modifier and modifier if the squad is suppressed, regardless if it hits or not.
Suppression_amount * cover_table_entry * squad_state_entry = Suppression per shot on target squad

For every bullet hitting the target squad all squads in an area around it will suppress all all squads in an area around it depending on the cover modifier of the targeted squad (not the ones nearby!), the state modifier (pinned/suppressed) of the targeted squad the splash modifier.
Suppression_amount * cover_table_entry * nearby_suppression_multiplier * squad_state_entry = Suppression per hit on target squad for all squads in a nearby_suppression_radius area around the squad.

Keep the "targeted" and "hit" in mind. Accuracy matters for splash suppression and both splash and target suppression depend on the cover and state of the target squad.

Complicated? A bit :p
Now look at what that means:

If you are shooting at a pinned/suppressed squad, others in the area will receive lower suppression!
If you have two squads as targets, one in the open, one in green cover and you shoot at the one in the open, both will quickly get suppressed. If you shoot at the one in cover, none will get suppressed.
If you fire at a house, nearby units will not receive noticeable suppression.
And now comes the really trick part where knowledge shines.
If you fire at an Oberkommando truck or a tank, it will deal no damage, but massively suppress all squads around it since usually cover, state and accuracy are all < 1. For a tank as target they are all 1, meaning you have a huge splash suppression! ;p
12 Jan 2015, 02:51 AM
Patrion 28

misread, please delete
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment