Login

russian armor

Mg42 constantly humiliated

16 Dec 2014, 00:45 AM
Patrion 28

.50cal has a narrow arc and a very slow rate of fire. I find myself retreating this MG every time because its really easy to fight off. Now with the MG42, the gun has an excellent rate of fire, largest arc and not to mention a superb vet ability! You have to put a little effort into the MG42 when the Rifles are not being suppressed within the arc, just make sure to change the target to the unsuppressed squad.

the rate of fire is fine for the amount of damage and suppression it does.

if you use the M2 as a backbone for several rifles, and particularly with grenades, it won't take much damage and can stay on the field for a longtime, particularly with a major/ambulance.

again, rate of fire is not the be all end all and only acts as a modifier to the suppression and damage. the MG42 does have a huge arc outside of buildings but the poor traverse means it can effectively use all that arc in most situations. the maxim has a tiny arc but doesn't have any problems because it resets so fast and doesn't give a shit about suppression/pinning.

incendiary ammo does give the MG42 a huge amount of damage against infantry and vehicles but it takes forever to go off and sprint on the M2 allows for very fast repositioning and kiting. sprint is by no means a bad vet ability.

the MG42's ease of use depends on the map. this is true of all HMGs. both the maxim and M2 are easier to use than the MG42 because they don't care as much about positioning.

as far as HMG rankings go, i order them maxim>M2>MG42>MG34. i'm not going to include the kubel because the only similarities are suppression.
16 Dec 2014, 00:47 AM

Like someone suggested, adding a manual reload option would already help a lot. Sometimes the machine gun shoots 2 rounds and starts to reload while there's a blob of 3 squads charging at it.

Implementing a manual reload would make it more useful, even make it slightly better without taking the skill element away - it would actually promote more skillful and generally good MG42 play. However, it still lacks a bit in suppression too.
16 Dec 2014, 00:52 AM
Patrion 28

on the topic of manual reload, a bar above the HMG showing the shots left would help. i suspect that's difficult enough to implement that we won't see it though.
16 Dec 2014, 00:57 AM

In vcoh the mg42 had a higher accuracy at the more models that it fired at. I dont know if that is true for coh2, but overall the mg42 is very disappointing.

Give it a manual reload, Its discerning when you do have the mg in a great spot and it shoots about 5 bullets before reloading.

Without buffing it to much, increase suppresion at blobs. 1200 bullets per minute should be enough for 10-15 guys to hit the dirt.

I dont know much of the bulletins but maybe they can stack and/or do something. vet 2 sounds like it scales well enough, sounds like early game is the op issue. Also sounds like mg42 should be good because its the mg42...thats gets us nowhere.

16 Dec 2014, 01:03 AM

Have Grens engage enemy.
While the enemy is fighting your grens, move your MG in and set up.
Oh look, the enemy cant fight your grens now because suppression.

Sounds like your just leaving it alone and expect it to handle the squads that walk into its arc of fire.
16 Dec 2014, 01:03 AM

blitzkreig mod did it perfectly maybe Relic can learn something from it, mgs can suppress squads in no cover just fine but in yellow cover it takes too long for them to suppress even one squad.

Oh well, that could be forgiven, but what really sucks is that suppressed squads have too much defense buff. It takes too long to kill a unit when they are suppressed. Also, the MG42 needs to have a dps buff, it shouldn't have less dps than the Maxim it's the MG42!!! Units that are slowly crawling up should be punished by getting chopped to pieces. Also the American 50 cal should also get a dps buff.
16 Dec 2014, 02:07 AM

I am all in for a Mg buff for all factions. Mg 42 needs damage. Maxim aoe supression and M2 a bit of both. Just increase setuptimers so its not too good.
16 Dec 2014, 02:51 AM

Just remove the incoming accuracy nerf to MGs. In WFA DPS has increased too much. Its one thing to need Muni to throw a nade or molo. More annoying is just LOL YOLO the front and gun it down.

This is the worst on the 50 cal and thats its worst problem IMHO. Most expensive MG in the game going against squads that have the DPS to quickly cut down 6 Man Soviet squads shooting at a 4 man squad with 25% incoming accuracy nerf...BRILLIANT!
16 Dec 2014, 02:57 AM

MG42 alone is useless it is because FOV, it can't see far enough. if u throw a gren infront of it about 1/3-1/2 of MG42's range, two of them can lock down a path for a quite long time, also if u give that gren a lmg it can kill fast enough too, unless enemy using early light vehicles like jeeps or scout cars.
16 Dec 2014, 03:05 AM
Patrion 14

mg42's fine for me
16 Dec 2014, 03:06 AM

Please rmemeber that the mg42 is a 240 mp unit, just like most infantry squads. Use it in conjunction with grenadiers and pioneers to decisively win a fight with suppression. units that get suppressed are COMBAT INEFFECTIVE.

also personally I would rank the 50cal as the best machine gun, with the mg42 close behind and the maxim and mg34 bringing up last.
16 Dec 2014, 03:28 AM
Patrion 28

units that get suppressed are COMBAT INEFFECTIVE.

not the maxim :3
16 Dec 2014, 03:41 AM

Maxim's mechanic under suppression is broken, My HMG42 catch Maxim on moving once, it got suppressed into pinning, it was able to turn and fully pining my HMG42, yes i do win the engagement (i don't really want call it a win more like a draw) force it into retreat because Maxim team was down to 2 men but it was able to down 2 of my HMG team crew member and force my HMG into retreat at same time as a conscript squad closing in.
16 Dec 2014, 03:42 AM
Patrion 14

or is mg42/34 and 50 cal. all hmg even suppressed can suppress other units
16 Dec 2014, 03:44 AM

Please rmemeber that the mg42 is a 240 mp unit, just like most infantry squads. Use it in conjunction with grenadiers and pioneers to decisively win a fight with suppression. units that get suppressed are COMBAT INEFFECTIVE.

also personally I would rank the 50cal as the best machine gun, with the mg42 close behind and the maxim and mg34 bringing up last.

Then why do suppressed Obers still kill a 50 cal frontally....

I would agree that almost all infantry units suppressed are combat ineffective but it only takes one to get a lucky shot to kill the gunner to cause the chain reaction. The higher the DPS of the squad the more often it happens.

The gunner should be the last model killed imho that would make MGs more effective in General.
16 Dec 2014, 03:49 AM

Then why do suppressed Obers still kill a 50 cal frontally....

I would agree that almost all infantry units suppressed are combat ineffective but it only takes one to get a lucky shot to kill the gunner to cause the chain reaction. The higher the DPS of the squad the more often it happens.

The gunner should be the last model killed imho that would make MGs more effective in General.

it wouldn't really make sense if the gunner was the last one to die, but i think it would be better for gameplay. the chain reaction of soldiers arming the gun and then getting sniped off is horrible. It essentially means wiped squad from high dps units like obers.
16 Dec 2014, 04:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 03:42 AMpigsoup

or is mg42/34 and 50 cal. all hmg even suppressed can suppress other units

all those guns are almost impossible to turn and setup while suppressed... Maxim can..
16 Dec 2014, 04:37 AM
Patrion 14

all those guns are almost impossible to turn and setup while suppressed... Maxim can..

good thing mg34/42 have bigger arc
16 Dec 2014, 06:06 AM

I don't mind that infantry can crawl up and nade you (re-positioning is micro, micro is good), but when your MG team gets focused down in a second or two in the mid/late game because it is effectively always at one less level of cover than everybody else, it's just dumb.

End the daggum +25% received accuracy on all weapons teams, and give MG crews vet bonuses relating to pack/set up time, traverse, and small received accuracy buffs to keep them alive in the late game.

And up the 42's damage a wee bit - I know that mostly it's firing to keep their heads down or whatever, but it's the friggin MG42.
16 Dec 2014, 06:23 AM

The only thing I'd change about it would be it's horizontal traverse speed (needs to be faster) and adding an automatic reload when out of combat( or something similiar).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★