Login

russian armor

IL-2 sturmovik strafe is not up to par to other skill planes

13 Dec 2014, 12:27 PM

So, guys, with all the skill planes being super cool, with the p-47 denying armor like a boss, and ju-87 oneshotting tanks, i think the IL-2 is currently lacking in the skillplane department.

Now now, i do not want to make it the oneshot everything skill plane like it was before, but i think it could use a small buff because lets be honest, for 20 munis more germans get a much better strafe.

I think a damage buff from 8 to 12 would be good.
13 Dec 2014, 12:38 PM
Patrion 14

i agree that it feels underwhelming compared to the JU87 anti tank strafe.
13 Dec 2014, 12:43 PM

Here is how I see the the 3 trafes:

The IL-2 strafe is fairly weak. It will not 1-shot squads (which is good), most of the time it will take a squad down to half HP and cause suppression. It does decent damage against light vehicles but only scratches medium tanks from the front and doesn't do a whole lot of damage against rear armor either.

P47 does a ton more damage to tanks but does not target infantry or support weapons at all. The damage is spaced out over 2 planes so it does not have extreme alpha damage. Their accuracy against moving targets is terrible as well. Heavy tanks are too much for the P47 and they will only take mild damage if you don't stay stationary. Medium tanks can get wrecked in 2-3 passes if you don't respond fast enough.

Now, the JU87 strafe... This thing is ridiculous at the moment. It's 40 ammo cheaper than the P47 strafe, yet it is better at anti-tank than the P47 (equal damage but concentrated in 1 burst rather than divided over 2 planes, wrecks all medium tanks in 1 pass with little time to respond) AND better at anti-infantry than the IL-2 strafe (way more damage, more squad wipes, wrecks support weapons) minus the suppression. It's way over performing for a 200 munition ability. The single pass strafe of the close air support doctrine is also broken. When used on the edge of the map (for short flying distance), it's a guaranteed kill on medium tanks. The shots hit the ground a mere 5 to 6 seconds after you call the plane in. Factor in nearly 2 seconds for the smoke to land, and you have yourself a situation where the enemy tank can't even accelerate away fast enough before getting 1-shotted. It can also be called in to wreck AT guns or clear infantry better than the single pass IL 2 strafe.

Something has to change with the strafes. Either IL-2 needs to be slightly cheaper and the JU87 needs to be a LOT more expensive (300 ammo at least). Or the IL-2 and JU87 need to be adjusted to match performance in price, which will mean a tiny buff to the IL-2 and a big nerf to the JU87.
13 Dec 2014, 12:46 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I think the IL-2 is the only strafe that works as intended, I'd rather like the others beeing nerfed in terms of damage alongside with a slight munitons cost decrease.
13 Dec 2014, 12:52 PM

Have to agree with luvnest, also wouldn't mind it if all the strafes became the same as the single shot equivalents.
13 Dec 2014, 12:57 PM

Single shot JU87 strafe is also broken when used on the edge of the map, I updated my previous post explaining why.
13 Dec 2014, 14:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 12:46 PMluvnest
I think the IL-2 is the only strafe that works as intended, I'd rather like the others beeing nerfed in terms of damage alongside with a slight munitons cost decrease.

Planes needs to be bring into IL2 levels, not the other way round.
13 Dec 2014, 15:35 PM

Planes needs to be bring into IL2 levels, not the other way round.

Easy to say when you have Elephnat, Tiger, IS or ISU.
Why USF players pick up Airborne 80-90% of games? For Paras, yes, but it's easier to get LMGs for Rifles. It's because of P47. It's must-have ability in late game because there is no other way to deal with Panthers, King Tiger and stuff like that.
P47 is right now only way to deal with heavies so nerfing it should go hand in hand with some new late-game AT option so you have option how to deal with heavies.
13 Dec 2014, 18:08 PM

I think the IL-2 is perfect atm. It's the JU-87 that needs to be tweaked. Ju-87 is completely undodgeable and one shots mediums. It's totally broken and I'm kind of suprised it hasn't been hot fixed.
13 Dec 2014, 19:29 PM

The IL2 feels underwhelming.. either it needs to be buffed or the other air attaks nerfed. Though, the il2 strafe stinks, i am not sure if anyone would use it
13 Dec 2014, 19:32 PM

And by the way, I dont thnik that P-47 and JU should be nerfed to the IL level (useless). It's Air strike and all faction have access to AA units so just use them as a counter rather than nerf planes and forget about them. JU just need to be toned down a bit so it won't kill medium with 1 strafe.
13 Dec 2014, 20:02 PM

And by the way, I dont thnik that P-47 and JU should be nerfed to the IL level (useless). It's Air strike and all faction have access to AA units so just use them as a counter rather than nerf planes and forget about them. JU just need to be toned down a bit so it won't kill medium with 1 strafe.

AA units are vehicles, extremely squishy vehicles.

Do you want me to draw you a picture with detailed explanation what allied AA is and what JU does to it?

Ostwinds at least have no problem surviving initial strike of P-47.
13 Dec 2014, 20:03 PM

I would like to see the IL make more passes at least, so it can still be shot down, but if it isn't then it can really do some damage if the enemy refuses to retreat it's infantry or build AA.
13 Dec 2014, 21:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 20:02 PMKatitof

Do you want me to draw you a picture with detailed explanation what allied AA is and what JU does to it?

that's why JU needs to be toned down so it won't kill medium with 1 strafe.
13 Dec 2014, 21:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 20:02 PMKatitof

XDDD okay that was funny kat
13 Dec 2014, 23:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If AA meant an insta kill on planes if it's on the zone: sure leave them as they are. Since this is not the reality we live on, we don't need skillplanes to be in the game.

I guess for you it was completely fine the IL2 wipe plane which use to target units like the P47 or the strafe pin of death.

Offmap are area denial, not instawin buttons.
13 Dec 2014, 23:18 PM

If AA meant an insta kill on planes if it's on the zone: sure leave them as they are. Since this is not the reality we live on, we don't need skillplanes to be in the game.

I guess for you it was completely fine the IL2 wipe plane which use to target units like the P47 or the strafe pin of death.

Flaktruck + Flak base or Ostwind are insta planes killers.

"I guess for you it was completely fine the IL2 wipe plane which use to target units like the P47 or the strafe pin of death. "

Sorry, but I dont get this sentence.
13 Dec 2014, 23:19 PM

Totally agree, which is why I think the P-47 is fine and the Ju-87 needs to be toned down. One is dodgeable by moving, the other isn't.
13 Dec 2014, 23:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Flaktruck + Flak base or Ostwind are insta planes killers.

"I guess for you it was completely fine the IL2 wipe plane which use to target units like the P47 or the strafe pin of death. "

Sorry, but I dont get this sentence.

You think the IL2 is useless and the other skillplanes balanced and useful. Therefore to balance it we should go back to it's previous state.

AA is not instakill in this game, since it relies heavily on RNG.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 23:19 PMEnkidu

Totally agree, which is why I think the P-47 is fine and the Ju-87 needs to be toned down. One is dodgeable by moving, the other isn't.

Both P-47 and Ju-87 first salvo can't be dodge. P47 can miss but you can't escape from it's tracking. Single AT strafe targets ground, but if it's call on the edges of the map, it's REALLY hard to dodge.

13 Dec 2014, 23:43 PM

You think the IL2 is useless and the other skillplanes balanced and useful. Therefore to balance it we should go back to it's previous state.

AA is not instakill in this game, since it relies heavily on RNG.

Both P-47 and Ju-87 first salvo can't be dodge. P47 can miss but you can't escape from it's tracking. Single AT strafe targets ground, but if it's call on the edges of the map, it's REALLY hard to dodge.

If the target moves when the flares are dropped, many of the rockets usually miss. If the target moves when flares are dropped, the ju-87 still destroys it regardless. Being in motion effects the P-47's effectiveness where it does not with the Ju. The IL doesn't do much to vehicles but is a decent infantry area denial call in.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight