Login

russian armor

Patch 08/12/14

PAGES (11)down
9 Dec 2014, 12:47 PM

Sorry but i think that this is an excuse. Since when did Relic do that what you are saying and why are you expecting it to happen now?

That's the whole point, they never have. They should! If you disagree with that... you're an idiot. Or you have extremely low expectations of standards of communication between developer and player. If so, go play other games and see how great it can be. Star Citizen, for example. Those guys are so customer focused - and it's the source of their success. they're making history there.

I think, for once, this community should be more understanding.

No. Understand?
9 Dec 2014, 13:35 PM

They dare to release a performance patch after I upped my rig?!...fothermuckers!:*(
9 Dec 2014, 13:38 PM

Maybe it will be in the next week a large patch with news new units weapons vehicles in 1944??

dude...do you ever read the thread you post in? and do you ever do anything else than ask about the addition of late war units?

on topic: i didnt really have that many performance issues so this patch is kind of a downer for me with so many other issues being left unadressed. i really dont care much about the isu/jt either, because i barely play teamgames anymore.

i would have liked to see changes/fixes regarding:
-call ins
-units getting stuck on dead entities
-zook buff
-obers nerf
-soviet price reduction for 2nd high tier building
and many gardening more
9 Dec 2014, 13:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2014, 12:36 PMVaz

Can anyone break these down a little. I don't know if this is more cynthia trolling or if it's something real I just don't recognize.

I believe these are improvements/ changes to the CPU instructions and AI? But I am only guessing.
9 Dec 2014, 13:59 PM

That's the whole point, they never have. They should! If you disagree with that... you're an idiot. Or you have extremely low expectations of standards of communication between developer and player. If so, go play other games and see how great it can be. Star Citizen, for example. Those guys are so customer focused - and it's the source of their success. they're making history there.

No. Understand?

Where did you read that i disagree with that? You missed the point of my post. So if you come down a little bit, maybe you will understand it.
If you wanna attack Relic, please do it in another thread. This thread is about the patch and this patch is very good for many people.

And about Star Citizen, yeah, if the Community donates Relic 60 million Dollars they will for sure focus on them.
Imo, Star Citizen is a bad joke (not the game but about this founding model). First you have to donate for the game to be developed and then you have to pay again to buy it and then.... you have to pay a monthly charge for usage. So yeah, they went to an entire new level of getting peoples money.
Here is my source. If this is wrong, forgive me and i mean it (i can accept being wrong and apologize if necessary :)).
Link

9 Dec 2014, 14:04 PM

This thread is about the patch and this patch is very good for many people.
And bullcrap for a whole lot more.
9 Dec 2014, 14:19 PM
Donator 11

So are we going to say a patch is coming out on Thursday? Otherwise I'm quitting coh till a balance patch hits.
9 Dec 2014, 14:54 PM

Can anyone break these down a little. I don't know if this is more cynthia trolling or if it's something real I just don't recognize.

1. Entity extensions that have expensive updates now run in parallel on multiple processor cores.
2. Optimized weapon targeting update.
3. Optimized PropertyBagGroup lookups by pre-caching them to allow for constant time lookup.
4. Replaced temporary data structures using heap allocators with stack allocators.
5. Optimized AI combat evaluations and AI Info updates for AI Opponent and made them run in parallel

It is difficult to comment on game code specific things like "Entity extensions" when you have no knowledge of Coh2's code, but I will try to explain the rest.

1. means that they changed some algorithms they are using so that those algorithms now benefit from having more cores in your CPU. The thing is, algorithms have to be specifically programmed to be able to use this, which means it can be a lot of work.

2. Seems to have something to do with the way an unit chooses what to shoot at. Like, how often the game checks what target the unit "wants to attack/is told by the player to attack", but that's more of a guess.

3. I don't no what the "PropertyBagGroup" is, but pre-caching lookups can be explained like that: Imagine you are friends with Rommel, Patton and Mickey Mouse. If you want to call one of them on the telephone, you have to look up their number in a huge telephone book, which takes some time. Instead of searching for their numbers every time, you can write them on a piece of paper and put it next to your telephone. The next time you want to call one of them , you look up their number on the piece of paper, which takes next to time.

In computer terms, if there are calculations you are doing very often in your programm code, you can instead do the calculation once and then store it, and if you need the result again you just look it up, which is much faster.

4. They changed one way to store data with another. Smart choice of data structure can save a loot of computation time.

5. "Optimized AI combat evaluations" should mean some improvement to what the AI does, most likely so that it can better recognize when to retreat etc.
"made them run in parallel" should mean that different AI opponents can now be calculated by different CPUs, which uses multi core CPUs more efficiently in the same way as 1.

All of those changes imply that Relic put some manpower into optimization. Improving the performance of a finished programm is not an easy job, especially if you have to clean up messy code. I can understand that Relic has not put more changes into this patch, as there is always the danger of breaking something important, and if you have changed only a few things, you know better where to look at.

Let us hope this is the first of a series of patches improving the stability and performance of the game.
9 Dec 2014, 14:54 PM

So are we going to say a patch is coming out on Thursday? Otherwise I'm quitting coh till a balance patch hits.

No need to speculate or get your hopes up.

Demand, instead. Demand clarity, honesty, communication. Who knows, maybe it'll even come.
9 Dec 2014, 15:01 PM

I like that patch more than any ballance patch they could make. Ballance patches are quite frequent while optimisation patch is sth we're waiting for since lounch. Fps is better by about 10% right now. Taking into consideration what they wrote in the patchnotes it should be even better (and i mean much much better) on cpu-bottlenecked rigs but sadly I cannot test it as all my computers are gpu-bottlenecked in coh2.

Btw, for ppl using HDDs: I recommend defragmenting the partition you have coh2 installed on before testing the changes as every patch (including this one) will radically slow down your loading time if you do not and you may think it's the foult of patch.

If my game is installed in the windows drive (C:\), should I defrag it to get better performance?
9 Dec 2014, 15:06 PM

Optimization. Going to Stack allocators from heap is a change in how the application deals with memory. Heap can be quite complex to manage and this might have been causing the memory leaks some of us has experienced.
Hopefully that will have been fixed by going to stack.

But ofc it is a game and overflow is probably gonna be an issue unless they know their code. But if they have identified the error as being heap not freeing up memory, one would think they fix their heap. We'll see if crashes are more prominent now or not.
9 Dec 2014, 15:07 PM

Expecting 2 patches in 2 days is.... naive to say the very least.
So...

9 Dec 2014, 15:09 PM

When I saw the patch notes, I noticed ISU: decrease this, decrease this and decrease that. Jagd: increase everything lol. Aside from the joke, cant wait for the BIG December patch (if it ever exists), please relic give the community a NICE Christmas gift!
9 Dec 2014, 15:34 PM
Patrion 14

thx for the explanation.

anyway, i feel the optimization but not much. but its a step in a right direction.

EDIT: although on my second game, about 1 hr into the session, mouse drag started to lag, like moving the camera around was stuttering.
9 Dec 2014, 16:09 PM
Donator 11

Just stop whining, performance issues were a real problem of the game and caused player base to shrink so right now:
1. The game will be smoother
2. If you don't want smoother game (or you run on constant 60fps) you can now make it look better which is also nice
3. We will probably see less crashes, if not because of heap->stack transition of some variables, then because of less performance issues. That means there will be less leavers (as some leaves were coused by a bluescreen for example)
4. You will not need such a good rig to play so we will have more players, and that means shorter waiting for a match.
5. They also said they improved pathing, anybody knows how to test it? I do not but it was sth I heared whining from the very beginning of the game and I can feel (by for example seeing more and more su-85 on the field, those had the biggest problems back then) that it is improving from one patch to another.

Summing up this patch is really good and was definitely needed.

I can even say it was more important than ballancing because I'll tell you the sad true: that game will never be ballanced in the way most people want it to be. Not to say the gameplay is more and more shallow from one ballance patch to another as usually ballancing means substituting asymetrical ballance with symetrical one...
9 Dec 2014, 16:23 PM

Best patch. All my loadouts is there.
9 Dec 2014, 16:27 PM

Don't worry balance patch is coming and it's going to be a major one judged from the time separating the last one.
Performance patches are always good. My PC is more then capable of handling CoH2 but few of my friends struggled so overall good changes.
9 Dec 2014, 17:04 PM

"You know what would really bring the community together !? Posting nonsense on patch notes!!"

Thanks Relic !
9 Dec 2014, 17:15 PM

I hate that shit, its so unprofessional

Whats with the trolling in the patch notes?

Whats with the fucking chat moderation
9 Dec 2014, 17:29 PM

I hate that shit, its so unprofessional

Whats with the trolling in the patch notes?

Whats with the fucking chat moderation

Chill out. They changed some aspects of the game very few of us would understand even if they'd wrote in plain English. I like this kind of twist.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS