Login

russian armor

StuG III Ausf. G Assault Gun, do you use it?

StuG III Ausf. G Assault Gun, do you use it?
Option Distribution Votes
14%
43%
31%
12%
Total votes: 51
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
7 Dec 2014, 07:37 AM

Hello,

I was wondering (And duly apologize if this has been mentioned before.. I am sure it has, what hasn't been mentioned on the internet eh? :)) if anyone built Stug III Ausf G.'s... at all?

I mean back in the day (COH days) Stug IV used to come from tier 3 (while Panzer IV's and Ostwinds came out of Tier 4) and it made sense to build them, it was an early tank (well not tank, I know, but It looked and felt like one :) ) and its early presence could break the allied fortifications.. just like it was in the real war...

But now, since they share the same tier with PIV and Ost, I can not seem to find a reason to build them at all.. They get outranged by SU85, they get circled around by T34, they are slower than T70.. I'm not even mentioning the US tanks here..

So, what am I missing? What role does this unit fill? 45 fuel is the obvious answer but I rather hold in there a little longer and get a decent tank out...

Do excuse the rant btw, I actually love Stug's. I always got them in COH and won a lot of games with them too.. But now, I totally don't see the point. :help:
7 Dec 2014, 07:52 AM
Donator 11

Well, i have seen a replay in which ost player countered 2 is2's using a p4 and vetting 2 stug's to vet1 with elite troops. Their stun is deadly. Other than that i agree with you, p4 is way better since its almost twice as durable. Stug has better anti armor capability but meh, p4 is way better.
7 Dec 2014, 08:10 AM

StuG should be reverted to it's previous AT Role, with longer range and higher penetration. The dual AI/AT role isn't awful, but Ost T3 already has 2 other AI capable tanks, one for AI/AT and one for AI/AA. And if you want an AI StuG, you can just get the Model E instead.
7 Dec 2014, 08:13 AM

Yeah, Stugs should have a reduced AI ability but have more pen and 60 range. Anything that isnt turreted and not godly powerful is looked down upon. At least have the Stug serve a decent function, even if it has to cost a bit more.

I dont use it anymore. Meta, especially with the addition of USF, makes it useless.
7 Dec 2014, 08:36 AM
Patrion 28

they're solid units. they're decent against t34 soviets and amazing against US until they get jacksons. they do fine against medium tanks as long as you protect them with paks or grens to prevent them from getting rushed and their range gives them room to safely fight enemy tanks. their AI is good enough to make them a problem for USF and the E hardcounters riflemen. i do wish they were still primarily AT though and agree the AI buff wasn't needed.
7 Dec 2014, 09:09 AM

they're solid units. they're decent against t34 soviets and amazing against US until they get jacksons.

I see.. It must be my bad micro then because one on one I always lose the Stug :( AT nades and Zis-3 guns (with their insane range) make quick work of my Stugs even if I manage to back track skillfully and manage to keep facing the T-34..

Also Stug's range is usually limited to their sight and that is nothing compared to SU-85 (with focused sight and/or Zis-3 tracking ability)...

7 Dec 2014, 09:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I don't like them for all the reasons listed here, and that Target Weak Point doesn't track the targeted vehicle. If it's a game against someone spamming shock troops then I get them so that don't just lose my Paks again and again. I always wish they were more like the Stugs from COH1, however :(
That said... :snfCHVGame:
7 Dec 2014, 10:04 AM

I don't like them for all the reasons listed here, and that Target Weak Point doesn't track the targeted vehicle. If it's a game against someone spamming shock troops then I get them so that don't just lose my Paks again and again. I always wish they were more like the Stugs from COH1, however :(
100% cast of the year. 10/10 would watch again before playing CoH2. :snfAmi:

Back on topic, I don't touch StuGs. I don't even use tanks much. I much prefer using paks and panzergrenadiere for my anti tank. I only get Panzer IV when I've got a serious advantage early game. This is especially true against USF where 2 shots from the M36 kills the StuG.
7 Dec 2014, 11:48 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Dec 2014, 09:09 AMukyo24

I see.. It must be my bad micro then because one on one I always lose the Stug :( AT nades and Zis-3 guns (with their insane range) make quick work of my Stugs even if I manage to back track skillfully and manage to keep facing the T-34..

Also Stug's range is usually limited to their sight and that is nothing compared to SU-85 (with focused sight and/or Zis-3 tracking ability)...

they are very much defensive vehicles. you cannot push with them and you can't really chase either; they're just AT guns with armour. with that said, a pair of stugs, particularly veted, or a stug pak or stug with grens screening the front is a serious threat for any medium tank. you are a bit on the back foot but that's to be expected, they cost less than a 34/76. their weapon is decent, they're just not very tough. they need to stay in the back with a screening force in front to sight for and protect them.
7 Dec 2014, 12:35 PM

I voted "No, never".

Reasons:

1) For only 45 fuel more you get a Panzer IV with up to three MGs and a turret. Also the Panzer IV has the Blitz ability.

2) StuGs go down with three shots from AT guns, two shots from a Jackson. They are way too fragile. It often happened that I get the message "tank lost" before I even know my StuG was attacked.

3) StuGs miss way too many shots. Or to be more specific, their shots seem to hit the ground everytime there is a slight height difference. That or they will hit a fence, car wreck or other obstacle.

4) StuGs are TOTALLY negated by SU-85s and Jacksons. Target weakpoint can work, but on an equal skill level the odds of coming out on top with a StuG are poor. Also they can´t fight AT guns. A Panzer IV however can circle the SU-85 and AT-guns.

So, no... StuGs are not a choice for competitive matches.
7 Dec 2014, 12:45 PM

OMG! Hilarious game!!! :clap:

I wish real life was like this too... :faint: (I dont mean to undermine the skill presented here, but this really is not real :) )
7 Dec 2014, 12:49 PM

they are very much defensive vehicles. you cannot push with them and you can't really chase either; they're just AT guns with armour.

That's actually my point exactly.. I cant do that, or do this.. You can do this but have to be very careful... All of these I can do with PIV's and they come from the same tier.. Hold in there for roughly a minute or so and I will HAVE all...

I just lost another game where I built a Stug. It got instagibbed by a Zis that seemed to be 5 km's away and then a lend-leased sherman came and mopped the field.. :gimpy:
7 Dec 2014, 12:51 PM

So, no... StuGs are not a choice for competitive matches.

... my thoughts exactly... :mellow:

7 Dec 2014, 13:09 PM

in a close game a pIV followed by a stug can be the difference between victory and defeat. waiting for a second pIV (or even a call in) may be the last nail in your coffin.
on the other hand i would strongly advice against going stugs only and only to get a stug before a pIV if you really dont have a choice (fuel shortage, etc)
7 Dec 2014, 13:22 PM

Yeah, Stugs should have a reduced AI ability but have more pen and 60 range. Anything that isnt turreted and not godly powerful is looked down upon. At least have the Stug serve a decent function, even if it has to cost a bit more.

I dont use it anymore. Meta, especially with the addition of USF, makes it useless.

This change makes sense, but it's gonna make it too effective at AT, and people will start sniping light or even medium armor. Imaging countering Shermans with a cheap unit like that.
I find stug useful in open maps. Good AI am AT capabilities. You just have to use it as it's meant to be, as an Assault Gun, not as a tank replacement (which actually happened in the real war). Vetted Stugs kick ass.
7 Dec 2014, 14:11 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

StuG should be reverted to it's previous AT Role, with longer range and higher penetration. The dual AI/AT role isn't awful, but Ost T3 already has 2 other AI capable tanks, one for AI/AT and one for AI/AA. And if you want an AI StuG, you can just get the Model E instead.

this
7 Dec 2014, 19:30 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I will use them if I am playing against the americans and I want to use a Stug E. Then I sometimes follow up with Stug G spam if it is an open map. The Stug E can deal with the riflemen well enough that I can keep my grens around in forward positions to faust the first allied tank, then rush it with my Stug E and G (maybe 2 G's if I held the fuel well). Works pretty well if you can deal with the first Sherman, after that the Stug spam becomes to strong to do anything about. Jackson's paper armor can just be chased down and the hopefully vetted Stug E and grens can deal with any infantry. It is a pretty fun strategy, I would recommend trying it. Most people will try to prepare for the Tiger in the doctrine and focus too much on AT, so the cheap tanks and strong AI lets you walk over them with the infantry to isolate their tanks.

Edit: This is not a good poll, needs an option for other or something.
9 Dec 2014, 17:43 PM

So.. after 49 votes it appears that 86% do not use StuG's for their functionality...

I don't want to look biased but this kinda proves that I am not alone in my disappointment at this otherwise wonderful unit..

And I do thank all of you that offered suggestions on how to utilize them to their fullest potential but alas I still do not see it getting a place in my build order anytime soon.

Finally, I am sorry if the options in my poll were less than satisfactory, I'll try to do a better job next time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 65
South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment