Login

russian armor

@ Relic, please expand prioritise vehicles

30 Nov 2014, 14:38 PM
Patrion 14

I think it is a no brainer that all tanks and vehicles that have even the slightest potential to hurt tanks should have the ability to prioritise vehicles. I was charging my 3 tigers to 4 easy eight and 2 isus with my teammate, but there was a cache as i was advancing, and of course the tigers not only shoot at the cache to reveal their presence and have their the turrets were facing their ass when reaching in range of shermans.

but that is just one example. once, in combination of airplane smoke, i swarmed a su85 with 3 222s. but of course 222 was shooting at stray infantries to almost empty out their clip before the crucial engagement.

i really dont get why all vehicles doesn't have this feature.

may be even schrecks, bazookas, and ptrs should have ability to make it only shoot at vehicles.

*EDIT:Hold Fire would be more fair.

**If you have a problem with 3 tigers and immediately assumed i was talking about noob 4v4 spamfest, you know because 4v4 is for noobs and degenerates who dont appreciate the game's full potential, see the spoiler:

30 Nov 2014, 15:16 PM

Yes, all tanks should have this ability and so should Panzerschrecks etc. Additionally they have to fix how it works currently, because it doesn't work as it has been described at introduction.

The machine guns on tanks don't fire anymore when you activate "Prioritize vehicle". The ability should only apply to the main gun however, the machine guns should still shoot at infantry. An exception is the top machine gunner upgrade, however this sometimes does still fire and sometimes doesn't. I believe it has to do with when you do the upgrade, before or after using the ability.
30 Nov 2014, 15:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2014, 15:16 PMgokkel
Yes, all tanks should have this ability and so should Panzerschrecks etc...

The machine guns on tanks don't fire anymore when you activate "Prioritize vehicle". The ability should only apply to the main gun however, the machine guns should still shoot at infantry. ...

Why not introduce a auto reinforcement like in DoW2 too...

Hell lets take all micro out of the game and just pick a faction and watch the CPU play for you.

It is true that buildings and caches are quite high on the target priority list. But this has allways been the case. Not only in CoH2 but also in CoH1.

Units not picking a target you want the to shoot can be circumvented by actually microing your units and focus fire them.

In the case of the anecdote with the Tigers rolling in its a just the players fault. For example no: No combined arms and no scouting. Of course the Tigers will start shooting at caches if this it the only target they see. Watching them turn their turrets to 6'clock and still not stopping them to give them time to finish the cache and turn their turret back to 12'clock is also just the players fault. It deserves to be punished. Badly microed heavy armor is no "i win button" and it shouldn't be.

The 222 will allways focus infantry and light vehicles because that is its purpose. If a T70 would have stood near the SU85 they would have fired at this. Again: micro them and the SU85 can be flaked. Using 222 to take out a SU85 is supposed to be more difficult than just pull a frame and click "move" behind the SU85.
Taking a T4 one purpose dedictaed AT unit with a T2 anti infantry armored car needs to be difficult and rewarding. Otherwise what would be the purpose of having T4 TDs in the first place. By the time these roll out its easy to have lots of 222s. Also the SU85 is a counter to all armor. Even heavy. Just swarming it with armored cars means using a unit directly against its hard counter.
Send in two Panzergrens with Schrecks and watch the SU85 retreat or disintegrate.
30 Nov 2014, 15:50 PM

This is not a design choice of Relic, it is just a badly implemented function. Look at the change log description for this ability, it fits the description that I demand:

"We have created a new ability similar to hold fire which enables the user to restrict main gun fire based on target type. For example, an Elefant with priority targeting activated would no longer fire on infantry; instead, the unit would only engage vehicles. This greatly enhances the usability of a unit by restricting unwanted vehicle rotation and enhancing weapon efficiency."

Currently it doesn't only restrict main gun fire and it doesn't enhance weapon efficiency in cases where there is infantry standing around being ignored for no reason by machine guns.

If a game in your opinion doesn't offer enough opportunities to prove your skill, this is a badly designed game. This cannot be fixed by just putting poorly implemented game mechanics into the game so that the player is more busy fighting the software than the enemy player. In the case of the Machine Gun upgrade on tanks like the Panther it is also not consistent right now.
30 Nov 2014, 16:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2014, 14:38 PMpigsoup
I was charging my 3 tigers t

stoped reading
30 Nov 2014, 16:49 PM

stoped reading

What does this have to do with what he's proposing?
30 Nov 2014, 19:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2014, 14:38 PMpigsoup

may be even schrecks, bazookas, and ptrs should have ability to make it only shoot at vehicles.

I agree, or only a HOLD FIRE for the AT model only. Right now when I engage with Schreks/Zookas and the enemy is microing their armored unit well, I have to constantly order my AT units to move so they won't waste the rocket on infantry, and I lose AI firepower.
30 Nov 2014, 21:24 PM
Patrion 14

stoped reading

i know what you are thinking, 3 tigers, 4v4 noob. but it was actually a 2v2 and the map was trois point so it wasn't that bad of a spam fest really.i just had small infantry force because i made a lot of mistakes early-mid game and lost a pak and mg42 to a single isu shot, which freed me up for a third tiger.

we are not pros, but it was a decent game.

In the case of the anecdote with the Tigers rolling in its a just the players fault. For example no: No combined arms and no scouting. Of course the Tigers will start shooting at caches if this it the only target they see. Watching them turn their turrets to 6'clock and still not stopping them to give them time to finish the cache and turn their turret back to 12'clock is also just the players fault. It deserves to be punished. Badly microed heavy armor is no "i win button" and it shouldn't be.

you can look at the replay if you want but don't bother, ill tell you what happened.

it was a game on trois point, of course it lead to a stalemate between left and right 'island', why not because it is such a great open map. allies were massing isu and easy eight.

we were top.

we, axis, had to make a move, and this is where i took my 3 tigers in around the top. bear in mind, the map was split literally vertically. and the allies built a cache on the northest point on the western island. i lead my tigers with a sweeper. we encounter the cache, and as far as the american could see, he could only see the sweeper. so he charged them with three easy eights for a quick wipe, leaving behind a jackson and an easy eight (just came out i think) in reserve. which i kinda knew from my ally's ir halftrack.

this was my only chance: allies had 4 easy eights, one jackson, one isu and another isu incoming (we destroyed one isu before). my tigers were going to attack from the north while my partner's two panthers were going to wait for the right moment to flank.

and when the shermans were moving in, i had to take the opportunity, because 3 shermdogs were literally just isolating themselves. i could see the shermans via my pioneer's vision. but since my tigers did not have direct vision, my tigers were targetting cache and i had no choice but to face my ass when i met shermman face to face. i couldve backed away, but the element of surprise would not be there, because he wouldve seen my 3 tigers shooting at a cache. so he'll mine up, rearrange etc ect

i mean choosing when and whom to fire your first salvo matters a lot. its not a matter of micro, its a matter of it being not possible, choosing your first salvo's target.

Using 222 to take out a SU85 is supposed to be more difficult than just pull a frame and click "move" behind the SU85.
Taking a T4 one purpose dedictaed AT unit with a T2 anti infantry armored car needs to be difficult and rewarding. Otherwise what would be the purpose of having T4 TDs in the first place. By the time these roll out its easy to have lots of 222s. Also the SU85 is a counter to all armor. Even heavy. Just swarming it with armored cars means using a unit directly against its hard counter.
Send in two Panzergrens with Schrecks and watch the SU85 retreat or disintegrate.

getting su85 with 222 should be difficult in term of keeping 222 alive, finding a right moment (over extension), and right coordination (smoke). it should not be hard because you can't choose which target your vehicle target.
30 Nov 2014, 23:11 PM
Patrion 28

it's not about micro either. you can't prevent your tanks from rotating their turrets and still move them with micro, the best you can do is use target ground and move orders to keep them aiming in roughly the same area while enemy tanks move around them.

i think all AT weapons should have holdfire and not prioritize. holdfire increases the micro requirements while prioritize reduces them.
1 Dec 2014, 09:55 AM

I gotta agree, all tanks should be able to priorities vehicles. Give 'em all hold fire while we're at it too. The more control we have, the better. Turret facing is also an idea I've heard tossed around, that'd be cool to see as well. But anything more than that and we risk cluttering the ability tab too much.

Using 222 to take out a SU85 is supposed to be more difficult than just pull a frame and click "move" behind the SU85.

And while we're at it, why not introduce 'panic' that makes squad members randomly become pinned or retreat while in combat? After all, we're supporting the idea that lack of control over your units is a good thing.
1 Dec 2014, 10:19 AM
Donator 11

Biggest mistake was implement the "target tanks only" function for AT guns. The little skill ceiling in this game was even more reduced and it was a good tactic to have AT guns on hold fire even if tanks where in range to lure them in so when you opened fire with 2 AT guns it was too late to reverse out of the firing range of the AT guns. But to micro the "hold fire" ability was too much for scrubs and Relic gave in.
1 Dec 2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Yep, every AT in the game needs prioritise vehicles. Especially things like heavy tanks that have really long reload time it's really punishing if your tank derps out and shoots at a Pio squad or something. You can use attack ground to clumsily battle with the AI but you have to be careful not to actually attack or there goes your long cool down.

@Spajn: There's a difference between taking out micro, and not giving a player the interface and tools they need to control their units and abilities as intended if you really enjoy artificial clunky micro go play Coh2 with a ball mouse.

1 Dec 2014, 11:02 AM
Donator 11

Yep, every AT in the game needs prioritise vehicles. Especially things like heavy tanks that have really long reload time it's really punishing if your tank derps out and shoots at a Pio squad or something. You can use attack ground to clumsily battle with the AI but you have to be careful not to actually attack or there goes your long cool down.

@Spajn: There's a difference between taking out micro, and not giving a player the interface and tools they need to control their units and abilities as intended if you really enjoy artificial clunky micro go play Coh2 with a ball mouse.

You actually take micro potential out of a players hands by removing hold fire and put "tanks only" instead. I already explained what that potential is.
1 Dec 2014, 11:19 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2014, 11:02 AMspajn

You actually take micro potential out of a players hands by removing hold fire and put "tanks only" instead. I already explained what that potential is.

hmm. prioritise vehicle might be a little too much noob friendly...

may be that ability should be only available for TDs and AT guns, as their special ability for being anti armour oriented.

but we need hold fire at least on like almost every vehicles.
1 Dec 2014, 11:22 AM

I think all units should have 'hold fire' ability. Even in 1997, Total Annihilation had this feature. (hold fire/return fire/fire at will) Manual target priority setting (e.g. for a tank destroyer, 1.tank destroyer 2.heavy tank 3.medium tank 4.light vehicle disabled:infantry,building) will be better.
1 Dec 2014, 12:12 PM

stoped reading

Yes, I wanted to stop reading too. Also, what you are saying is basically bringing down microing to 0 for tankbattles, I dont agree.
1 Dec 2014, 12:12 PM

Hold fire is another thing, that would be great.
1 Dec 2014, 12:27 PM

I think TD's, ATG's should only ever fire on infantry/buildings if given manual order to do so.
It is just plain stupid that units like SU85's or Elephant's are sniping infantry without any micro from player and equally stupid that Su85's and other TD's die because they use their precious shot to shoot at stray infantry model that showed up at the edge of FOW even tho they are placed in good strategical position by player.

P.S. for those who mention micro.
'Rogue' TD targeting infantry/building requires manual target order which in turn requires tank to stop and slowly turn it's turret towards desired target.
Sometimes they can be quite stubborn and as soon move order is given they will start targeting infantry again. (giving enormous advantage to vehicle equipped with smoke, fast reloading vehicles)
In turn this negates all good flanking work or/and planning and gives opponent 'get out of jail card'. IMO
1 Dec 2014, 13:02 PM
Patrion 14

Yes, I wanted to stop reading too. Also, what you are saying is basically bringing down microing to 0 for tankbattles, I dont agree.

Hold fire is another thing, that would be great.

maybe you should read and not post useless trolly posts.
1 Dec 2014, 14:12 PM

maybe you should read and not post useless trolly posts.

It's not trolly, I just don't agree like I said.
Sorry to not agree man.

Also offtopic, if you're starting with 'I was charging with my 3 tigers', you can't expect all people to respond in a constructive way :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★