Login

russian armor

Why is there no hold ground button in this game?

• This thread is locked
11 Nov 2014, 20:47 PM

Seriously ... It's so fucking annoying to have a tank chase and then die when you are microing across the map for a second.
11 Nov 2014, 20:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

What would that button do that Stop does not do?
11 Nov 2014, 21:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 20:56 PMRomeo
What would that button do that Stop does not do?

Because it would HOLD GROUND. Is English not your first language? Units chase other units and run out of cover all the time for no reason at all when you leave them alone. It's beyond retarded.
11 Nov 2014, 21:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Vehicles given a stop command won't move on their own unless an allied vehicle needs to get past them. Infantry given a stop command will seek cover if engaged but I don't think they will leave it. I think the behavior you are experiencing is the result of an attack order followed by enemy units leaving your vision.

Personally I think even given an attack order units should never chase into the fog of war automatically. So I could support that getting changed.

A hold position button only makes sense in games where units will automatically chase enemy units on sight. Usually these games feature melee combat. Since that's not the default behavior, the stop command should be sufficient.
11 Nov 2014, 21:36 PM

Units chase other units and run out of cover all the time for no reason at all when you leave them alone.

Wut? Units only chase other units if you've ordered them to attack said unit. Otherwise they remain stationary.
11 Nov 2014, 21:46 PM

Seriously ... It's so fucking annoying to have a tank chase and then die when you are microing across the map for a second.

Some one does not know how the commands in an RTS work

So here is some enlightenment:
A unit will not leave the spot it is unless given a command. If you give them a command they will execute it to the best of their ability until the die, are given another command, or the command cannot be done. So a tank that is sitting around cannot and will not move unless you order it to attack another.

So the lesson to be learned here is that if you tell your unit to start firing at another unit, make sure you remember to re micro it because it will pursue the unit unless told otherwise, your unit dies, or the enemy unit is no longer in vision (this can be because they died as well).
11 Nov 2014, 22:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 21:36 PMKhan

Wut? Units only chase other units if you've ordered them to attack said unit. Otherwise they remain stationary.

Some one does not know how the commands in an RTS work

So here is some enlightenment:
A unit will not leave the spot it is unless given a command. If you give them a command they will execute it to the best of their ability until the die, are given another command, or the command cannot be done. So a tank that is sitting around cannot and will not move unless you order it to attack another.

So the lesson to be learned here is that if you tell your unit to start firing at another unit, make sure you remember to re micro it because it will pursue the unit unless told otherwise, your unit dies, or the enemy unit is no longer in vision (this can be because they died as well).

God narrow thinking like this is the reason why games stay bad. This is a feature in Starcraft and other RTS'es. It is a simple request and easy enough to implement and strictly improves gameplay. People like you can simply continue using your apm for other things and people who do care are better off. It is a strict improvement.

And it makes a huge difference which is why it is in games like Starcraft II ...
11 Nov 2014, 22:23 PM

God narrow thinking like this is the reason why games stay bad. This is a feature in Starcraft and other RTS'es. It is a simple request and easy enough to implement and strictly improves gameplay. People like you can simply continue using your apm for other things and people who do care are better off. It is a strict improvement.

And it makes a huge difference which is why it is in games like Starcraft II ...

Maybe youre better off playing your beloved Starcraft 2 chess game with "essential" RTS features and having your fun there, instead of coming here and spreading toxicity.
11 Nov 2014, 22:28 PM

Because it would HOLD GROUND. Is English not your first language? Units chase other units and run out of cover all the time for no reason at all when you leave them alone. It's beyond retarded.

What if I told you that it already got that function?

It would be just renamed stop button.
11 Nov 2014, 23:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

This would had been a real concern on a previous patch. Your units dance way less than before and they stay on cover.

Instead of asking for a hold ground, you should ask a button for ALL UNITS for hold fire.
12 Nov 2014, 00:07 AM

Get off your high horse you ignorant idiot.

What you're asking for is literally already in the game via the stop command. Hell, hold ground is actually the default functionality of a squad. If you tell them to move to a spot, they'll go there and engage anything in range (seeking cover if possible) but they will not actually move on or chase stuff on their own.

But I guess you probably already knew that, since you're so good at this game and stuff.

Seriously though, go away. Maybe next time do your homework before trying to come to the forums and cry about something that you're utterly wrong about. Might help. Just a thought.
12 Nov 2014, 00:09 AM

Instead of asking for a hold ground, you should ask a button for ALL UNITS for hold fire.

Hold fire should be an option on every unit. It would allow for better ambushes.
12 Nov 2014, 01:13 AM

Wow, Romeo, you're way more polite than I would have been. Seeing someone insult you like that out of their own ignorance is kind of infuriating though. I hope a mod locks this and bans that trash.
12 Nov 2014, 03:15 AM

Maybe youre better off playing your beloved Starcraft 2 chess game with "essential" RTS features and having your fun there, instead of coming here and spreading toxicity.

Why can't COH learn from other games? SC2 definitely learned from other RTS's including previous versions of itself? This is a fanboy argument and not really worth responding too.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 22:28 PMKatitof

What if I told you that it already got that function?

It would be just renamed stop button.
\

Only it doesn't work that way does it? Vehicles will chase out of cover or placement. Maybe ground units don't but valuable fuel-based units definitely chase.

This would had been a real concern on a previous patch. Your units dance way less than before and they stay on cover.

Well if the functionality is the same it would be great. Maybe infrantry doesn't, but vehicles certainly do. And as for units "sticking" precision movement is actually a little more difficult now as nudging your units is difficult as they will default to the nearest cover when you sometimes want to dance out of range. It is unsettling but that wasn't what my original point was about anyways.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2014, 00:07 AMCieZ

Get off your high horse you ignorant idiot.

What you're asking for is literally already in the game via the stop command. Hell, hold ground is actually the default functionality of a squad. If you tell them to move to a spot, they'll go there and engage anything in range (seeking cover if possible) but they will not actually move on or chase stuff on their own.

But I guess you probably already knew that, since you're so good at this game and stuff.

Seriously though, go away. Maybe next time do your homework before trying to come to the forums and cry about something that you're utterly wrong about. Might help. Just a thought.

Only it's not. It doesn't apply to vehicles who always chase things.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2014, 01:13 AMEnkidu
Wow, Romeo, you're way more polite than I would have been. Seeing someone insult you like that out of their own ignorance is kind of infuriating though. I hope a mod locks this and bans that trash.

I didn't use any ad hominem attacks though a lot of people in this community have attacked me for pointing out an obvious issue. If you want the game to keep bad aspects, that's your perogative, but taking personal affront to that is fanboyish. This game is far from perfect. I guess at this point the only people left are diehards. This game is so inferior to vCOH in so many ways and it only got marginally better after the last patch.
12 Nov 2014, 03:26 AM

No they don't. Nothing chases anything until you give it a attack order. Is it really that hard to admit you were wrong?
12 Nov 2014, 03:34 AM

Bro, vehicles don't chase either. Only if you've clicked to tell it to attack an enemy unit. If you have told a Sherman to attack a Panzer IV, for example, it will sit in place firing as long as the P4 stays in range. If the P4 backs up out of range, your Sherman will follow, but only because you gave the attack order. If the Panzer IV had simply driven by, into the range of your Sherman, and then backed away without you clicking to attack it, your Sherman would not chase it.

I don't think we can be any clearer about this.
12 Nov 2014, 03:42 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Only it's not. It doesn't apply to vehicles who always chase things.

The hell are you talking about. Vehicles chase nobody unless you order them to do so. This whole thread is pointless.
12 Nov 2014, 04:10 AM

12 Nov 2014, 04:18 AM

Vehicles absolutely do not chase unless you give them an attack order. I'm not sure what version of COH 2 you're playing - but it certainly isn't the same one the rest of us are playing.

Anyways... pointless thread is pointless. Hopefully a mod closes it up soon.
12 Nov 2014, 04:25 AM

snip

You're wrong broseph, do you even CoH? Non turreted vehicles will rotate in place to engage enemies that are in range. The only circumstance for a vehicle pursuing is you gave an attack order on a unit that is not in range. It will only pursue until it is barely within range, where it will park until the target leaves your max range again. If you lose vision on the target the tank sits there and will not aimlessly drive in to the fog of war.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★