Login

russian armor

OKW Reinforced Steel Barricade

11 Nov 2014, 14:46 PM

A new OKW strategy I have been facing is Sturms building the damn Reinforced Steel Barricade (OKW barbed wire) around VPs and fuel points or across narrow access points. The dumb thing about this wire is that the Engineer wire cutters can't cut it...:facepalm:

The stuff can't be shot at once fully built and even a grenade just barely damages it. It says on the description the only way to get through it is to crush it with a heavy vehicle...

Which means if you go for an Allies strategy that doesn't rush a vehicle in 7 minutes then the OKW can wire you off until you build and divert a vehicle over to the wire to get rid of it.
I find that early game and even late game doing this can totally gimp infantry play because they can just cover points or routes on their flanks with the stuff and I HAVE to divert a vehicle over to get through it.

Otherwise I get funneled right into OKW Shrek blobs, Obers, and Flak HT/HQ. This strat is really effective and really annoying.

Any thoughts on maybe tying this super barbed wire to the wire cutter upgrade for Sturms? Requiring them to get that upgrade before they can build this BS wire.

Or increasing the build time of this super wire so they can't as easily spam the stuff all over the map?
Their placement time for it seems really fast.

Yes I know wire is supposed to halt infantry but the other wire can be countered with grenades or wire cutters, but not the OKW super wire, you need a tank to roll over it to get rid of it or expensive munition abilities.

Thoughts, opinions?
11 Nov 2014, 14:52 PM

What youre describing is a good design that points to the disparity between the factions. If there is a problem, the problem is Imo that okw are to good at all the stuff the other factions can do.
11 Nov 2014, 14:52 PM
Patrion 14

A new OKW strategy I have been facing is Sturms building the damn Reinforced Steel Barricade (OKW barbed wire) around VPs and fuel points or across narrow access points. The dumb thing about this wire is that the Engineer wire cutters can't cut it...:facepalm:

The stuff can't be shot at once fully built and even a grenade just barely damages it. It says on the description the only way to get through it is to crush it with a heavy vehicle...

Which means if you go for an Allies strategy that doesn't rush a vehicle in 7 minutes then the OKW can wire you off until you build and divert a vehicle over to the wire to get rid of it.
I find that early game and even late game doing this can totally gimp infantry play because they can just cover points or routes on their flanks with the stuff and I HAVE to divert a vehicle over to get through it.

Otherwise I get funneled right into OKW Shrek blobs, Obers, and Flak HT/HQ. This strat is really effective and really annoying.

Any thoughts on maybe tying this super barbed wire to the wire cutter upgrade for Sturms? Requiring them to get that upgrade before they can build this BS wire.

Or increasing the build time of this super wire so they can't as easily spam the stuff all over the map?

Yes I know wire is supposed to halt infantry but the other wire can be countered with grenades or wire cutters, but not the OKW super wire, you need a tank to roll over it to get rid of it or expensive munition abilities.

Thoughts, opinions?

I think a good change may be allowing it to be cut by wire cutters, but IMHO, I find it to be ok the way it is right now. Sov can use satchel if t1 or mortar/zis if t2. USF has a harder time, but can counter by attacking the sturms when they are laying the wire. I think that the best way to counter this kind of wire spam is to keep your units on the prowl. catching a sturm squad setting up wire is a guaranteed 1-2 model kill, and that early in the game a retreated sturm squad can net you the whole map.
11 Nov 2014, 14:54 PM

That's not even in the same book as "ok". It couldn't be ok. Why a wire is better than other wire? Nurf the okw wire!! :)

No seriously, this should not be.
11 Nov 2014, 14:59 PM

Axis ub3rsteel is too 133t 4 your feeble wirecutters.
11 Nov 2014, 15:02 PM

Axis ub3rsteel is too 133t 4 your feeble wirecutters.
I knew I was ub3r and too l33t for feeble wirecutters.

On-topic: I think giving them this kind of wire is ridiculous. I remember my opponent locked the northen munition and VP with this wire and I had to bring a captain to actually clear the path for my teammate. Then we met a kubel instead which I'm not gonna go into... <444>_<444>

Maybe give them regular wires unless they choose luftwaffe ground forces or fortifications for that doctrinal ability that allows you to build flaks.
11 Nov 2014, 15:02 PM

I think it should be cuttable, but it would take longer than normal wire, like 2xtime. Using OKW überwire feels like abuse in Ettelbruck Station and Crossing in the woods middle VP. Only counters early game to the wire are demo charges and demos (too expensive) and soviet mortars and zis (too slow and unreliable). It is too retarded, that it costs ton of munitions and lots of manpower to destroy OKW überwire, because the wire is free :p :snfBarton:
11 Nov 2014, 15:05 PM

I used to have a problem, but then i learned that all factions have usually easy ways to destroy this.

If your soviets, use gaurds PTRS or zis gun attack ground.

If your USF, use captain bazookas, USF m20 bazookas, M15 halftrack to destroy them.

But i do agree that it's a little bit bullshit.

Soviets have a harder time dealing with them, due to their builds being slightly more diverse.

Nobody ever doesn't go m20 as USF , so they have an easy way.
11 Nov 2014, 15:06 PM

I think a good change may be allowing it to be cut by wire cutters, but IMHO, I find it to be ok the way it is right now. Sov can use satchel if t1 or mortar/zis if t2. USF has a harder time, but can counter by attacking the sturms when they are laying the wire. I think that the best way to counter this kind of wire spam is to keep your units on the prowl. catching a sturm squad setting up wire is a guaranteed 1-2 model kill, and that early in the game a retreated sturm squad can net you the whole map.

The problem with "catching a Sturm while they are laying wire" is that they do it when my units have retreated and need to reinforce at HQ. I counterattack only to run into a wall of the stuff already up. I did catch a Sturm once and wiped the squad, but he had almost completed a full circle around a VP in the 1 minute it took me to reinforce and counterattack. (I was playing on Rails and Metal).

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 14:54 PMJohnnyB
That's not even in the same book as "ok". It couldn't be ok. Why a wire is better than other wire? Nurf the okw wire!! :)

No seriously, this should not be.

JohnnyB, come on. This is not one of those nerf everything the OKW has hard threads. Do you really need to troll here? I am a fan of OKW, look at my playercard, most of my playtime is as OKW. I just wanted to discuss if this wire seemed too good or too easily used.

It just seems to synergize a little too well with the defensive abilities of the OKW and it takes away one of the Allies main ways of beating superior German infantry in flanking.
11 Nov 2014, 15:06 PM

Thoughts, opinions?

You can direct fire at the wire now. This problem used to be way worse back when you could not. Really if you see lots of wire going down you just need some dedicated clearing. Tanks and light vehicles clear them pretty quickly, so the only really impact time for the wire is early on. Ways of dealing with the wire is applying pressure to the sturm pios if you can, the wire does not build incredibly fast so if the Sturm pios are under fire a lot or always retreating they cannot build up tons of it.

I would not be opposed to an increase in build time though
11 Nov 2014, 15:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

On most maps it doesn't even matter. On Ettelbruck it's extremely annoying. There definitely needs to be an easier way for the allies to get rid of it.
11 Nov 2014, 15:18 PM

At least make allies able to cut it, maybe it should take a longer time 'OK' but why do allies need a wirecutter if can't cut wires?

Let that sink in..
11 Nov 2014, 15:24 PM

At least make allies able to cut it, maybe it should take a longer time 'OK' but why do allies need a wirecutter if can't cut wires?

Let that sink in..
Maybe they should have brought something that can cut chains.
11 Nov 2014, 15:31 PM

allies can have demo charges

okw can't have wire
11 Nov 2014, 15:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I laugh at the idea of someone spending 45/90 muni on a satchel/demo to destroy a free barbwire which can be built again later :D

Minesweeper kit should be able to cut it but 2x/3x slower speed.

It seems you haven't experience the worst aspect of it, the ghostwire. Same results, 0 time to build it.

:::::.....:::::
I'm not sure if Guards can manually target it (finish barbwire).
:::::.....:::::

Bonus: you can also block and mess up with pathfinding by using sandbags with Volks. You can stop M3 and M10 with it, and forcing extra micro with infantry. On retreat they would take the long path.
As allies you can use tanktraps with RE.
11 Nov 2014, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 15:31 PMHitman5

okw can't have wire

Make OKW wire cost 10-15 muni per block and we can agree on 90muni demos being a proper counter.
11 Nov 2014, 16:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2014, 15:31 PMHitman5

okw can't have wire

Too many fanboism in 1 post.
My eyes hurt.

11 Nov 2014, 16:33 PM

I think they should be cuttable, but then leaving behind the tank traps when the wirepart is cut. Maybe take longer to cut than normal wire as well.
11 Nov 2014, 17:35 PM

JohnnyB, come on. This is not one of those nerf everything the OKW has hard threads. Do you really need to troll here? I am a fan of OKW, look at my playercard, most of my playtime is as OKW. I just wanted to discuss if this wire seemed too good or too easily used.

It just seems to synergize a little too well with the defensive abilities of the OKW and it takes away one of the Allies main ways of beating superior German infantry in flanking.

You got it completely wrong. Actualy I agree with what you said, read my last phrase "seriously". But I just thought that was verry funny. Nurf the wire.
11 Nov 2014, 18:01 PM

It was introduced because OKW has no infantry that can inflict engine damage except for Panzerfüsiliers.
So Relic implemented it in order to weaken the effect early vehicles have on okw.

I would've found it much better, if they'd give shrecks to stormpios and give volks any ai upgrade + engine damage.

As an Us player you can use also the bazooka of a utility car to destroy the barb wire.

Honestly I find tank traps more abusive on ettelbrück than the okw barbwire :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS