Login

russian armor

M8 Greyhound Canister Shot

3 Nov 2014, 23:27 PM

I think this ability is a little over the top and needs toning down slightly. I played a game last night where it one shot three of my full health grenadier squads, all on separate occasions. (not in a blob)

I think it should not have the ability to squad wipe, if it does then it needs to cost 150 munitions. I know there are counters for the unit itself, yeah that;s not a problem, but I don't think any one ability should have the damage potential this one does. The range of the canister shot needs to be severely toned down as a matter of priority.

One might argue that USF needs the canister shot ability (as it stands) vs OKW blobs of death, so it's probably a matter of if it's nerfed to balance USF vs OS, then it will make the unit near on useless vs OKW.

3 Nov 2014, 23:38 PM
Donator 11

It's less about the overall balance between factions and more that canister shot is all the greyhound has going for it. It IS a pretty silly ability, but relic doesn't seem interested in fixing anything related to recon company. At best they might remove the crit that causes it to instant kill infantry, but do nothing to anything else.

In the mean time treat it like a bundled nade. Keep moving around it (preferably toward it) and when it closes in or stops firing be prepared to GTFO.
Vaz
3 Nov 2014, 23:44 PM

You weren't blobbing and an ability that hits a single point killed 3 of your squads in their entirety. You weren't blobbing though.

:megusta:

3 Nov 2014, 23:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 23:44 PMVaz
You weren't blobbing and an ability that hits a single point killed 3 of your squads in their entirety. You weren't blobbing though.

I think this ability is a little over the top and needs toning down slightly. I played a game last night where it one shot three of my full health grenadier squads, all on separate occasions. (not in a blob)

It's a pretty stupid ability, since being on retreat or in any sort of cover doesn't protect the target in any way (in fact being in cover makes the squad members bunch even further, increasing one shot chances. on the other hand, it's the only thing the greyhound has going for it...
3 Nov 2014, 23:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 23:44 PMVaz

I think you might need to actually read the post properly.
3 Nov 2014, 23:58 PM

Yeah no. Just focus fire if you see one, its not like it instantly fires when you hse the ability, you have to wait for the turrent ro turn then theres a short wine-up time.

Kill it before it kills you, its that simple.
4 Nov 2014, 00:00 AM
Patrion 14

If we take this point seriously following that line of logic almost any grenade in the game should be 150 munitions.

The unit comes at 3 cps for a faction that does not accumulate vet quite as fast as the vanilla factions (no xp for buildings), costs 40 fuel and comes significantly later than the m20. If you can handle an m20 with a pak and scout car or a teller or just a faust and a pak then you have all the tools to deal with a m8.
4 Nov 2014, 00:18 AM

Yeah nerf the only thing recon support has going for it....
4 Nov 2014, 00:26 AM

If we take this point seriously following that line of logic almost any grenade in the game should be 150 munitions.

The unit comes at 3 cps for a faction that does not accumulate vet quite as fast as the vanilla factions (no xp for buildings), costs 40 fuel and comes significantly later than the m20. If you can handle an m20 with a pak and scout car or a teller or just a faust and a pak then you have all the tools to deal with a m8.

You need to read the original post as well.
4 Nov 2014, 00:33 AM

Well to be honest it is pretty silly that it is a guaranteed kill on any model in the area, no matter the cover, retreat, whatever. Grenades don't get that luxury.
4 Nov 2014, 00:41 AM

Good thing its not a gernade but a canister full of metal balls being shot out of a 37mm cannon.
4 Nov 2014, 00:56 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It has being said before, tone down canister shot, buff Greyhound main gun.
4 Nov 2014, 07:30 AM

Good thing its not a gernade but a canister full of metal balls being shot out of a 37mm cannon.

Yeah but balance should be more relevant than the gun it's coming out of right?
4 Nov 2014, 07:50 AM

I've used this ability a few times since the RNG gods awarded me the recon commander. Every time I used the ability it one shotted the squad. It's OP.
4 Nov 2014, 08:38 AM

It does not wipe squads that often in my experience. We need statistics, not just anecdotal evidence.
4 Nov 2014, 10:36 AM

4 Nov 2014, 11:59 AM
Patrion 14

I've gone back and tested the ability a bit more and it seems the same thing that made grenades a lot more potent is elevating this ability to new heights: units clumping up a lot more due to the new cover.

It's not a guaranteed squad wipe as some would like to suggest but it seems a tad too effective. The unit without the ability is however not on a par with similar scout cars, especially considering its cost. Therefore reducing the effectiveness of the ability or increasing the cost for it would just render the unit redundant (I've read your post and just took the point you made and used redactio ad adsurdum to try to illuminate how absurd it is to put it almost on the same level as strafe, propaganda, 1.6... demo charges).

The best way I can think of to fix it would be to give the m8's main gun a bit more damage (to be able to challenge other light and medium vehicles) and to make the canister shot not track the target so that it can be dodged by moving but has the same effect as a nade if one does not. It will require some testing if the angle needs to be increased because it's getting to easy to avoid.
4 Nov 2014, 12:07 PM

M8 can't do anything else besides canister shot.

It needs 5 shots to kill Kubel.
4 Nov 2014, 12:08 PM

M8 has a serious case of the T34 Ram syndrome. An extremely underpowered unit that is only relevant because of a seriously OP ability.
4 Nov 2014, 12:55 PM

It has being said before, tone down canister shot, buff Greyhound main gun.

This.
One time, I've lost 2 squads with one canister shot. Well yes it was pretty stupid to put 2 squads behind one sandbag but come on.
keep in mind that it has a certain "aim time" before it fires. move towards it but not in a straight line when you see one.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
South Africa 1
Germany 537
Peru 4
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L