Login

russian armor

KV1-Useless?

• This thread is locked
1 Nov 2014, 23:59 PM

Some weeks ago i got Counterattack commander (the one featuring B4 arty and the KV1 tank). I noticed than the KV1 is useless- Underpowered cannon, slow as fuck and "meh" armor.

My question is: Is it worth to get one, or i should spawn another non-doctrinal tank instead?

...or maybe im not using the KV1 as i should?
2 Nov 2014, 00:06 AM

The KV-1 is its own class. It's not a Medium Tank, but it's not a Heavy Tank, it's somewhere in between.

It is nice if you can get one or two supported by AT gun or su-85, they have pretty strong armor, ok against all german medium armor, however, not agaisnt heavy armor

The KV1 is a heavily armored T34, more or less. Get SU85s and use the KV1 as a spotter or a meat shield since that's pretty much what you need it for. The main point of this commander is the B4, which is only useful if the opponents were stupid enough to not pick a commander with recon and Stuka Bombing Strike.
2 Nov 2014, 00:24 AM

The thing is, the KV1 comes out before any other heavy tank, so use it as a damage sponge in conjuction with Su85s and the B4. The SU 85 is your sword, the KV1 is the shield.
2 Nov 2014, 00:41 AM

KV1 is alright against infantry at least and can damage tanks somewhat. As others had said it's really just an damage sponge tank with a mediocre gun, not underpowered. A panther does well against KV1s but I saw many times where a Tiger just does not penetrate the KV1 even after multiple shots but that's just personal experience since Panther's penetration is only slightly higher than the Tiger's.

KV1 is useless against Jadgtiger, PAK43 and Elefant since those tanks can penetrate any armor 100 pct.

I think the KV1 does it's job well against Panzer IVs Tigers and Panzershreck squads so it does have it's uses.

The KV1 does not have "meh" armor since it has better armor than a Tiger tank in the game.
2 Nov 2014, 01:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 00:24 AMbobop6
The SU 85 is your sword, the KV1 is the shield.

This is an excellent way of putting it.

The KV-1 on his own is not a great unit. It has heavy armor and good HP so it is great for taking shots to the front armor. However, the gun (same as T34/76) is weak against enemy front armor. Anything heavier than a P4 will simply shrug off the KV-1s shots. So by itself it's an awkward unit that can either fight face on, soak damage but not dish it out, or flank, and do damage but take lots of it in return, wasting the fact that it has thick front armor.

It is only when you add in the B4 and the SU-85 that the magic starts to happen.
2 Nov 2014, 01:56 AM

all soviet ussles. play 4vs4 and u know why. kv-1 only for drop u 140 fuel.
i kill 3 isu next bynext with my JK at winter maps. and every late game JK + ostwind + tiger or panters and u can do nothing. since game F* kubell spam with (omg 5fuel coast) no change since control map. If Okw lose kubel they take +5fuel from garbage. (-5 fuel +5 fuel) well done relic balance is fine! and now soviet cant build uslees scout car +15 fuel coast and so bad that u must wait, T1 now 50 fuel coast. what the f* testers its do?
2 Nov 2014, 02:30 AM

all soviet ussles. play 4vs4 and u know why. kv-1 only for drop u 140 fuel.
i kill 3 isu next bynext with my JK at winter maps. and every late game JK + ostwind + tiger or panters and u can do nothing. since game F* kubell spam with (omg 5fuel coast) no change since control map. If Okw lose kubel they take +5fuel from garbage. (-5 fuel +5 fuel) well done relic balance is fine! and now soviet cant build uslees scout car +15 fuel coast and so bad that u must wait, T1 now 50 fuel coast. what the f* testers its do?

This post was quite an adventure.
2 Nov 2014, 04:20 AM

They actualy nerf soviet T1 to adjust it to OKW kubel nerf.

Its the biggest joke of all jokes in COH2.
2 Nov 2014, 06:33 AM
Patrion 27

And then never reverted the M3 or M5 penetration values back to what they were before Kubel became as strong as it is.

The KV-1 comes in one of the best Soviet commanders which was tailor-made to fight the OKW. KV-1 can solo the Panzer Schewere HQ and shrugs off Puppchen hits while it gobbles up light vehicles. It also has a 2nd mg on the back of the turret.

That being said the KV-1 is slow, expensive and has a fairly weak gun but I think it is a great unit and fun to use.
2 Nov 2014, 07:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge

The KV-1 is its own class. It's not a Medium Tank, but it's not a Heavy Tank, it's somewhere in between.

It's the scariest tank in the world in 1941.

As Ostheer in those TOW you have to fight this thing without shreks, without fausts and your only armour is a Stug-E and an early P-IV.

Really it is with the anti-panther, if you want to have a category for things that are too potent to be medium tanks but not heavy enough to be heavies. But whilst the Panther is AT, the KV-1 is Generalist and the KV8 AI

+++++++++++++

The KV1 is a nice tank, I'd use it more if it was not just in the one doc.

It's not something you use to fight tanks with; you use it to take the lead, attract fire and drive off infantry so your SU-85s can kill their armour.

With that MG in the rear turret I feel like it is something I ought to just drive straight into the middle of the enemy and wreck stuff.

But you don't make it your only tank. IS2s, T34/85s and 152s (maybe) can be your only armour; the KV-1 really shines when backed up with T4.

If it helps, view it as a KV-8 with better AT and less good AI; you wouldn't use only KV8s, don't use only these
2 Nov 2014, 07:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 00:24 AMbobop6
The thing is, the KV1 comes out before any other heavy tank, so use it as a damage sponge in conjuction with Su85s and the B4. The SU 85 is your sword, the KV1 is the shield.

Exactly this. Others have stated this, but this is very eloquently put.

It's basically a heavy tank with t34 stopping power. And you can call it out relatively early (8 CP). Its heavy armour and decent anti-infantry firepower make it great for pushing forward. It even works well when you've been cut off from fuel, because it costs much less fuel than the other Soviet tank call-ins.

Just support it and don't push too far forward with it because it's so slow at retreating.

It won't do squat against anything heavier than a Panzer IV, and that's ok. By then you should have some AT guns and/or su-85s to back you up. In the heat of battle I often make the mistake of calling in too many KV1's instead of making SU-85s, and I regret it once Tigers and Panthers start showing up. Don't make this mistake.

Bottom line: use it early, plow through light defenses, and retake control of key points until you get more firepower. This tank can take a serious beating. Just make sure you're dishing out an equal or greater amount of damage at the same time.
2 Nov 2014, 08:15 AM

It's a bloody Churchill if you're familiar with vCoH. Churchill is the shield. Firefly the sword
2 Nov 2014, 09:06 AM

Isn't the rear armor thicker than the front armor?
2 Nov 2014, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

270/165
2 Nov 2014, 17:24 PM

If it can't penetrate anything then it shouldn't cost fuel. Yes it's garbage.

ROLFCOPTER, dat description.
2 Nov 2014, 17:30 PM

its will be KV-85 for this commander. Kv-1 its since war tank when germans have pzIII and pz-4 with short gun like command panzer4. replace this unit and make Is-1 or Kv-85 with 140 fcoast. Kv-1 must be in t4 with 100 fcoast

2 Nov 2014, 18:55 PM

I've seen players try to use KV-1 as a shield with jacksons. It didn't amount to much because we just ignored the KV-1s and killed the jacksons. They had us pinned most of the game, until they started wasting their resources on those KV-1s. Was hilarious. Would attach replay but dunno how, they really tried to make use of it.

KV-1 would make more sense if heavies weren't so omnipresent, but they are so... it has a tiny window of usefulness, and even in that window it doesn't excel at anything, its just mediocre.

I'd only ever put one out if I were desperate.
4 Nov 2014, 07:57 AM

I've seen players try to use KV-1 as a shield with jacksons. It didn't amount to much because we just ignored the KV-1s and killed the jacksons. They had us pinned most of the game, until they started wasting their resources on those KV-1s. Was hilarious. Would attach replay but dunno how, they really tried to make use of it.

KV-1 would make more sense if heavies weren't so omnipresent, but they are so... it has a tiny window of usefulness, and even in that window it doesn't excel at anything, its just mediocre.

I'd only ever put one out if I were desperate.

Very true for anything more than 1v1, since those matches inevitably become heavy tank slug fests. After the mid-game, the player should transition to su-85s and start using the B-4.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★