Login

russian armor

CoH2 and the new Sector System

18 Apr 2013, 21:19 PM

so the opinions about the "new" sector system are next to the blizzard the biggest change that splits the community i think

most ppl i talked with said that they would prefer the same system like in coh1 (and i full agree with this)

but im not so stupid to think that relic will realy change the system^^
so i thought about some ways the system could be improved

instead of 1-2 real mun/fuel secors and 5-6 "strat" sectors just add only strat sectors
double the whole sectors on every map.

these "Menpower" sectors offers you only mp and nothing else
but you can still "upgrade" these sectors to a mun or a fuel sector (which would offer also only fuel or mun then and not longer mp)
now we have again some cutoff points

the system will work more or less like in coh1
every sector next to your base which was upgrades to a mun/fuel sector offers you +5 mun/fuel. if there is an additional sector between the upgraded sector and your base you get +10 mun/fuel. and the last option is if between the upgraded sector and your base are 2 or more sectors you get +15 mun/fuel

so the more cutoffs you may have the more you get out of these sectors
this system would also slow down the whole teching so we would finaly see again a midgame and not always the jump from early into late game^^

but its just an idea and i wanted to see what you guny think about this?
18 Apr 2013, 21:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Fyi, all 'strategic points' give ammo and fuel. I don't really mind that change. Already getting used to it. As long as they keep in the cut-off mechanic we'll be alright.
18 Apr 2013, 21:26 PM

yeah but thats the point^^
with the upgrade of the current strat points you dont have an easy way to cutoff your enemy :P

you always have to destroy first teh outpost and normaly there are not that much points there :D

also the fact that all current points offers you mun, fuel and mp leads also in the massive mun reserves to spam arty

but hey this is just my opinion :P
i dont say my suggestion is perfect^^
18 Apr 2013, 21:40 PM

So far it feels like this is a change that is not actually damaging the game. I expected worse. You still have some points that give more than others, and the whole aspect of customizing the points is not so bad.

I am more concerned about cutoffs - seems like the sectors are large and placed so that cutoffs will happen rarely. That is worrying and I would like them to be a major element of the game.
18 Apr 2013, 21:48 PM

Kholodny has some good cut-offs I've learned the hard way ;)
Joe
20 Apr 2013, 04:24 AM

I don't think any points actually give you manpower? The manpower seems to be set by upkeep and all the points give fuel/munitions.
20 Apr 2013, 10:45 AM

Fyi, all 'strategic points' give ammo and fuel. I don't really mind that change. Already getting used to it. As long as they keep in the cut-off mechanic we'll be alright.

i think if each strategic point gave sth like 20 mp as well with the opportunity of giving 40 with an OP then we d see a vast improvement .
20 Apr 2013, 10:52 AM

Dat game need moar points on map!! we liked cut-offs and it's necessary also in CoH2
20 Apr 2013, 11:03 AM

The original concept as I understand it (ie last year when the game was announced) was that everything would be a regular strat point, and the player would choose which points to OP into munitions/fuel points, thereby creating a different 'map' every game. This system was interesting and different, and I could've gotten behind it.

Unfortunately what we now have is basically a bastardization of the vCoH resource system, with the odd fuel or munitions point and then just a metric shitton of strategic points, and it's not economical to upgrade any of them. They should either go the whole hog and change it properly, or just make it like vCoH again. While the way it is currently is _ok_ and not on my personal list of things that urgently need addressing, it's still not ideal.
20 Apr 2013, 13:46 PM

Completely agree with Tommy, it's neither truly different and trying to be innovative nor an improvement on the vCoH method. Change for the sake of change.

Cutoffs I'm actually not as worried about despite them being a larger issue, simply because the community will end up making most of the competitive maps I guess =/
20 Apr 2013, 15:44 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2013, 11:03 AMTommy
The original concept as I understand it (ie last year when the game was announced) was that everything would be a regular strat point, and the player would choose which points to OP into munitions/fuel points, thereby creating a different 'map' every game. This system was interesting and different, and I could've gotten behind it.

How could this have ever been better? Players wouldn't play maps differently or OP different points, they would simply OP points near their base and every single multiplayer game would become a campfest. I'm very thankful that the resource system has been at least changed back in the right direction, and don't find that change "unfortunate" in the least.

Relic has been listening to feedback and changing the game in the correct direction at each opportunity. It's very encouraging.
20 Apr 2013, 15:50 PM
Senior Caster Badge

How could this have ever been better? Players wouldn't play maps differently or OP different points, they would simply OP points near their base and every single multiplayer game would become a campfest. I'm very thankful that the resource system has been at least changed back in the right direction, and don't find that change "unfortunate" in the least.

Relic has been listening to feedback and changing the game in the correct direction at each opportunity. It's very encouraging.

100% agree. It was never clear to me why anyone would ever OP anything except the points linked to their HQ sector or how cutoffs could ever world with a resource system built on OPs rather than CoH's high and medium resource points. I wish the maps and resource system were much more like the original CoH and hopefully Relic will move in that direction (why do strategic points give us munitions and fuel? So that terrible players can come back from losing the important points on the map? That's not a recipe for a good game...) and community map makers can give us legitimately good maps for CoH 2
20 Apr 2013, 17:13 PM

Wasn't it supposed to be something like:
OPing a point in a sector closest to your base would give you minimal resources, barely worth it.
OPing a point several sectors away from your base would grant you a large amount of resource gain.
This would mean that people will fight for the frontline more as they want to keep the sectors furthest away from your base, and not sit and camp just 1 sector away from your base.

Either way, I think they need to make up their minds, now we got some weird hybrid of the 2 having normal strat points give you both fu, mu and possibility to be OPed for more, with (what I can tell atleast) no difference if its close or far away from your base sector.

+1 for the good ol' v-CoH way of doing it.
20 Apr 2013, 17:19 PM
Senior Caster Badge

That sounds a bit better but I don't recall those details from the stuff we heard. In any case I think we can all agree it sucks now.
20 Apr 2013, 18:17 PM

Wasn't it supposed to be something like:
OPing a point in a sector closest to your base would give you minimal resources, barely worth it.
OPing a point several sectors away from your base would grant you a large amount of resource gain.
This would mean that people will fight for the frontline more as they want to keep the sectors furthest away from your base, and not sit and camp just 1 sector away from your base.

Either way, I think they need to make up their minds, now we got some weird hybrid of the 2 having normal strat points give you both fu, mu and possibility to be OPed for more, with (what I can tell atleast) no difference if its close or far away from your base sector.

+1 for the good ol' v-CoH way of doing it.

yes indeed
my idea was based on the original idea relic had when the announced the first time a new sector system
but we cant see anythig from this right now
the current one is realy bad so imo move back to coh1 system or improve teh current one
like now its just crappy :(
20 Apr 2013, 21:19 PM

I don't see anything "crappy" seems fun and entertaining to me....and also intense
21 Apr 2013, 01:04 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I don't see anything "crappy" seems fun and entertaining to me....and also intense

It would be good if you would explain why you find it fun, entertaining, and intense compared to the original CoH. To me, the reduced number of cutoffs and the relatively lower importance of fuel + munitions points makes things less fun (because each game becomes more monotonous - the fights over points other than VPs aren't as intense), less entertaining (see above) and less intense (see above).
21 Apr 2013, 01:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

It would be good if you would explain why you find it fun, entertaining, and intense compared to the original CoH. To me, the reduced number of cutoffs and the relatively lower importance of fuel + munitions points makes things less fun (because each game becomes more monotonous - the fights over points other than VPs aren't as intense), less entertaining (see above) and less intense (see above).

perhaps because he isn't comparing anything.
21 Apr 2013, 01:52 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Well, NorthWestFresh said "I don't see anything 'crappy'" and most of what's crappy according to the rest of the thread are the ways in which the system diverges from CoH, so I figured NorthWestFresh was disagreeing that the changes from CoH to CoH 2 made the game worse.
21 Apr 2013, 10:07 AM

that was exactly what i thought when i read his post :D , maybe he hasnt played vcoh all that much MVGame + that the fixed pop and mp income and their separation from the sector system just makes for dumbing down strategy in the late game
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★