Login

russian armor

USF paratrooper upkeep too high?

23 Sep 2014, 20:47 PM

Lieutenant 8 pop, Captain 8 pop, Med truck 4 pop, Major 4 pop = 24 pop

These core teching units add up to 24 population and 36 upkeep. Only the lieutenant can even be argued to be an effective combat unit. USF are drowning in Upkeep from something but paratroopers...i think not Their initial cost is something that might be looked at but the Upkeep encoured by USF teching is a serious issue with the faction,

Considering that 3 rifles and the 1 RE are nothing short of mandatory early game 49 pop of the faction is pretty much spoken for unless you don't want to build units at the start of the game or tech later on. #USFflexibility
23 Sep 2014, 22:53 PM

Lieutenant 8 pop, Captain 8 pop, Med truck 4 pop, Major 4 pop = 24 pop

These core teching units add up to 24 population and 36 upkeep. Only the lieutenant can even be argued to be an effective combat unit.

You don't have to get both the Captain and the Lieutenant you only need 1 to get to the Major; I usually only get 2 of the 3. The Captain's Bazookas are often life saving for the USF and he has a thompson, but like the paratroopers and many USF units they take a lot of damage, and the Med truck is optional.
23 Sep 2014, 23:30 PM

Ambulance is technically optional, but unless you have a teammate who gets healing, you're going to be bleeding an awful lot of manpower if you don't get it.
23 Sep 2014, 23:32 PM

You don't have to get both the Captain and the Lieutenant you only need 1 to get to the Major; I usually only get 2 of the 3. The Captain's Bazookas are often life saving for the USF and he has a thompson, but like the paratroopers and many USF units they take a lot of damage, and the Med truck is optional.

I concede that among these units you don't have to get all of them, But A rear echlon unit with 2 bazookas or a Rifle with bars won't cost you nearly as much to reinforce as the 50 MP model in Lieutenant and captain squads with less upkeep while performing the same function.

However my point is that the USF Has alot of units you can't really avoid that end up taking up alot of your popcap that might otherwise be occupied by more desirable units.
24 Sep 2014, 01:08 AM

i think for most elite infantry, they really need armour and more durability. these guys cannot be spammed due to their high cost and to be honest. there's probably only 1-2 running around the field and will be easily outnumbered by base infantry and focus fired down to bits before they can really be used, especially for line infantry equivalents like lmg paras and guards.

these guys shouldnt be matched man to man by regular squads, only by other elite infantry or upgraded squads in numbers.

as a rule of thumb, all units that cost more than 350mp needs some armour to go along with that huge cost. except for guards, who need the armour because of their mediocre dps and ambush units who pop out from buildings.
24 Sep 2014, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Get a captain, get 0.5 armor. Get LT, get accuracy buff...working as intended Kappa.
24 Sep 2014, 01:40 AM

I think Paras are fine, pricey but ultimately worth it. I would never recommend having more than 1 squad though, unless you are swimming in manpower. I see the role of Paras as allowing your infantry to keep pace with vetted, upgraded Axis infantry without having to upgrade BARs (which don't really do the job anyway). Both weapon upgrades do this, which is best depends on the map. The 6 man squad size is nice, but you can't use them like Obers/Shocks - treat them like Rifles and keep in green cover whenever possible. In fact, Thompson Paras pair very well with Rifles because the smoke grenades allow them to get close.

Another strength of paras is that they become very self-sustaining, since Vet 2 gives them passive healing and they can reinforce from beacons.
25 Sep 2014, 00:45 AM
Patrion 15

I got this but I actually don't know if it really helps Paratrooper to me more efficient. Anyone else tried it yet?

25 Sep 2014, 02:05 AM

Well paras taking 3% less damage is never a bad thing but it's unlikely to win you the game.
25 Sep 2014, 03:15 AM

I wish people post the statistics when they complain about upkeep. How much is the upkeep that makes you think paratroopers take too much upkeep? Hopefully you give numbers the next time you think a unit needs something, but I took the liberty to look it up myself.

Paratroopers take up 9 population and they can take on obersoldaten on a straight up match, which obersoldaten takes up 10 popcap so I think Paratroopers are at a fine spot.
25 Sep 2014, 06:34 AM

Permanently Banned

Paratroopers take up 9 population and they can take on obersoldaten on a straight up match, which obersoldaten takes up 10 popcap so I think Paratroopers are at a fine spot.

mabey if they are vet 3. with lmg's (witch usf actually has to pay for) And they must use thier "slowed" ability.

but a stock para squad nope. falls git the falshirjeager for free. and paras have to buy their weapon upgrades
25 Sep 2014, 07:30 AM

USF is pretty manpower starved in general. It would be interesting if they brought back the Supply Yard from COH1 with the Supply Upgrades.
25 Sep 2014, 07:52 AM

Do you give your obersoldaten orders to run circles around the airborne? Because that's pretty much the only way to make them lose to airborne.

Vet3 airborne can kinda beat vet0 obersoldaten, they'll only lose ~4 members while the obersoldaten lose 3 and are forced to retreat. Glorious victory of 38MP. Vet2 and onwards the obersoldaten just piss on the airborne though.

As to the topic at hand, I feel that the 9 popcap for airborne is justified by their benefits over riflemen (7 popcap). Their popcap is not something I see as an issue.
25 Sep 2014, 15:18 PM

9 pop for a 6 man squad vs 7 pop for a 5 man squad

paras also deal more dps than rifles

their popcap is fine, I think they should be able to drop a beacon though, and have the option to buy recoilless rifles

edit: oh, and that stupid timed-charge ability needs to be a satchel. I know I sound like I'm trying to copy/paste from vCoH, but this half-satchel half-demo charge thing is unnecessary
25 Sep 2014, 17:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Sep 2014, 15:18 PMArclyte

edit: oh, and that stupid timed-charge ability needs to be a satchel. I know I sound like I'm trying to copy/paste from vCoH, but this half-satchel half-demo charge thing is unnecessary

Dis.

They could have both - they could throw a satchel and set a charge. That would be so awesome.
25 Sep 2014, 22:53 PM

Paras upkeep and cost is in line with their abilities. Good replacement for a lost rifle squad or as a force multiplier with LMGs. Best infantry unit that you get.

Just make that demo charge into a satchel. It's a shitty ability as it stands.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★