Login

russian armor

Thoughts on OKW Artillery Flares

21 Sep 2014, 21:57 PM

So, this ability costs 60 munition, lasts as long as as a recon plane, can not be shot down and does not telegraph it's presence on either the minimap or making any sound, alerting the players that they are being watched.

Is it fair that this faction, with base defenses and T4 that almost instantly shoot down recon planes have an ability that is actually better in every way and at the same time cheaper than the Allies counterpart?

Conclusion: Increase the cost of this ability to 80 munitions.
21 Sep 2014, 22:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

a loud distinctive flare noise would be good too
21 Sep 2014, 22:12 PM

I can't agree with you about whether it is not telegraphed. Unless its tossed somewhere that isn't where most of the center of attention is, you should be able to see the glaringly obvious light that blocks your vision.

However, I have to agree that for a utility skill it works very well for the price. Not sure if I agree with your proposition either, but some adjustments would be proper.
21 Sep 2014, 22:14 PM

Increasing the cost to 80 actually makes sense.

The ability was priced with the 66% muni income in mind and was never adjusted.

Its basically cheapest and most superior scout 'plane' in game.
21 Sep 2014, 22:50 PM

But it can't crashland on your opponents units! Surely that's what you're actually paying for with recon, the big lottery win.
21 Sep 2014, 23:14 PM

Since it's more the rule than the exception that your recon plane will get shot down by the OKW buildings a price increase to 80 munitions would be the proper way to balance this. The artillery flare would still be superior to the recon plane in every way. And as Romeo said, a distinctive noise alerting you that they are using this ability would be nice.

Just compare it with the more expensive recon plane, it's loud as shit and you can see exactly where it is flying on the minimap and letting you know that you might have some units in the danger zone. You have no idea where the artillery flare is unless you actually hover the screen over it.
22 Sep 2014, 00:22 AM

it's a specops commander

I'm fine with it having good recon, since the rest of the doctrine isn't anything special
22 Sep 2014, 03:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 00:22 AMArclyte
it's a specops commander

I'm fine with it having good recon, since the rest of the doctrine isn't anything special

it's not completely useless and is OKW

NERF IT TO THE GROUND!!!
22 Sep 2014, 04:28 AM

The ability only reveals a small part of the map though, unlike calling in the recon plane. The other abilities in this commander are quite expensive (except for the grenades).

IMHO, this commander shines best in team games, I don't really think he is that great for 1vs1.
22 Sep 2014, 04:34 AM

I use it all the time and was going to make a topic about it for the same reason. I think this ability is way too good in its current form and unfair against other factions that have to use scout planes for more cost/risk.

One solution is to make this ability only available through infantry units. Just like the flare thrown by Panzerfüsilier, you would send any infantry unit to throw the flare and reveal the area. This way it can't be so easy to use and so hard to detect for the enemy.
22 Sep 2014, 05:09 AM

You can notice by the bright yellow light coming from it( altough no sound).

Also, its a specops doctrine, its abilities are supposed to be silent, commando etc and all that cool stuff like Radio Silence and stg44 upgrades and this flare, its part of the immersion (XD)
22 Sep 2014, 05:53 AM
Donator 22

IMO a price increase to 80 munition is fair and more than enough. Kronosauros pointed it out. You can notice the "flares"
22 Sep 2014, 09:56 AM

It is a feature of a doctrine based around furtivity. It is noticeable, yet require a lot of attention to spot since it is silent. I agree it should be normalized since the Oberkommando has got it's ammunition income revised to normal. It should cost 80-90M (probably 80, since you convert M to F most of the time and are very short on M throughout the game).

PS: while being "unstoppable", it also has a narrower radius than every other recon ability.
22 Sep 2014, 10:15 AM
Patrion 14

After the munitions income nivelation the muni cost was not increased for any other ability, nades, Schrecks, assault nades, offmaps - why should it be adjusted for flares specifically?

They are spammable and useful, especially in team games, yes. This is not a problem in my opinion, as it fits Spec Ops perfectly. Is it OP? I say no, your opinion can differ.
22 Sep 2014, 10:16 AM

Some of you revise this ability alone without comparison to the recon plane. Sure, it covers a little smaller area but it is not that noticeable. You have to take in consideration that OKW base defenses and T4 shots down the recon plane with due haste while artillery flares can be used with no drawbacks.

A cost normalization to 80 munition is not too much to ask for.
22 Sep 2014, 10:19 AM
22 Sep 2014, 15:01 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It's great but you never really see it because of how many other meaningful munitions choices there are for OKW and that doctrine. I think increasing the cost would just make it even more rare and unused, I think leaving it at 60 but nerfing the amount of vision granted would be a better move.
22 Sep 2014, 15:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I think it's more important to adjust the design than the cost. Whatever the cost is, if your enemy does not notice the flare on his base and your teammate blows up his priest with some off-map arty, it was munitions well spent. Some change to vision range, duration, cost, etc will not change that. So it's much more important that the player on the receiving end is made aware that he is being watched/bombed.
22 Sep 2014, 15:44 PM
Patrion 14

As a Spec Ops player, I would accept that any time as it seems more than fair.

(I would also like it if appearance of Panzerfusilier and Soviet sniper flares was similarly telegraphed)
22 Sep 2014, 16:13 PM

Its fine imo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight