Login

russian armor

Most requested unit in coh2 history...

PAGES (10)down
22 Sep 2014, 00:44 AM

axis fanboys will never give up, and agree with us ...

my hope is something new to usf when single player comes out.
23 Sep 2014, 12:29 PM

After all I wouldn't mind the Pershing.

But for God's sake, relic, if you ever consider to implement a heavy vehicle for the USF please, please make it NON-DOCTRINAL.
23 Sep 2014, 13:50 PM

Jumbo Sherman armor upgrade for regular Shermans to make them damage sponges? Wouldn't have to be doctrinal, keep their damage around the same, and just buff their armor and health.
23 Sep 2014, 14:01 PM

There is one thing I don'T get...
why are people arguing that the US need a heavy tank and think this means a M26.
The Pershing isn't a heavy tank. Its a medium. Allthough a undermotorised one.
The M26 is comparable to a Panther but slower and with a gun comparable to that of the Tiger E.

Personally I think a doctrine specific M26 wouldn't be much of a problem but it won't be what people argue for. A M26 even if a game balance centric laissez faire approach to histoic reality is chosen (wich is the case in CoH2) will never be able to go toe to toe to a KT or JT. Head on a Tiger is the best i can do. Head on against a Panther the latter is likely to win. A M26 should be more capable vs infantry compared to the Panther though.

The M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman has better frontal armor than the M26 and comparable side and rear armor. The turret armor of the Jumbo is conciderable better.
Its power to weight ratio is similar. It only carries a less potent gun.
For a damage sponge type unit this is a far more intresting template.
23 Sep 2014, 15:24 PM
Patrion 15

Jumbo Sherman armor upgrade for regular Shermans to make them damage sponges? Wouldn't have to be doctrinal, keep their damage around the same, and just buff their armor and health.

If a Sherman reaches Veterancy 1 it could improve it's armour with sandbags, half-tracks, tree logs and concrete like their crews did in WWII to improve their tanks armour versus for example Panzerfaust. It would be a more real way to improve the Sherman's armour ingame.

23 Sep 2014, 15:41 PM

that often had little effect and just slowed the tanks down
23 Sep 2014, 19:10 PM

I miss pershing and 'allied war machine'.
23 Sep 2014, 19:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

vCoH Experts nearly always went for Armor doctrine....it's hard to see what they might pick for their doctrine of choice, currently
23 Sep 2014, 19:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2014, 17:00 PMKatitof
You do realize USF army are based on battle of bulge?

You do realize pershing arrived to Europe months after that, therefore its unrealistic to ask for it?

First 20 Pershings arrived in Antwerp in January of 1945.

That is more than all the Sturmtigers ever built.
23 Sep 2014, 19:55 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

After all I wouldn't mind the Pershing.

But for God's sake, relic, if you ever consider to implement a heavy vehicle for the USF please, please make it NON-DOCTRINAL.

Fair dos! ;) The OKW KT is also non-doctrinal
23 Sep 2014, 20:00 PM

I'd rather the USF be worked around their Tank Destroyers and Artillery to kill Heavy Tanks. It's a neat concept that's barely even explored.

Also 76mm Shermans, although that would also mean some rebalancing of the Panzer IV / T-34/76 to better work with the new Tank.
23 Sep 2014, 20:02 PM

I like the idea of bringing back the sand bags on tanks. From what I remember in the first COH they had them on the front of Shermans. They would block one frontal shot, which helped a lot more then you would think.
23 Sep 2014, 20:02 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

^^ ^^

Whatever floats your boat ;)
23 Sep 2014, 20:21 PM

Re: Jumbo Sherman

There were more than 260 of these built and used in combat in late 1944. That means more of these were fielded than Elephants, Ostwinds, sturmtigers and 50mm Pumas put together.

They were considered essentially impervious to any AT gun from the front.

Despite that, the allies didn't go forward with making more. They found them too limited in speed, maneuverability, and cross country ability.

The Sherman really did have values that aren't modeled in COH. They were very mechanically reliable. Performed well in their designed role (breakouts). Were easy to repair even after having been knocked out.

This helped make possible many of the breakneck chases of the US Army through France and at Remagen, and the complete turn of the 3rd Army front during the Battle of the Bulge. All of them were operations because of opportunity and not planning.
23 Sep 2014, 21:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2014, 19:55 PMAvNY

First 20 Pershings arrived in Antwerp in January of 1945.

That is more than all the Sturmtigers ever built.

All of the sturmtigers have actually seen combat.
Most of the pershings not, just two did(or I'm confusing it with super pershing? anyway normal ones in combat were even more rare then sturmtigers).
23 Sep 2014, 22:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Tiger's 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 gun couldn't penetrate the Jumbos frontal armour (178 mm @ 30 degrees). Would have been fun to see it in-game as an Sherman who won't go full BBQ after a couple of hits.

For extra lols add the Pershing with armour upgrade and APCR ammo, yes please.
23 Sep 2014, 23:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2014, 20:21 PMAvNY
There were more than 260 of these built and used in combat in late 1944. That means more of these were fielded than Elephants, Ostwinds, sturmtigers and 50mm Pumas put together.

They were considered essentially impervious to any AT gun from the front.

Despite that, the allies didn't go forward with making more. They found them too limited in speed, maneuverability, and cross country ability.

Some units that were not blessed with Jumbos made field modifications to some of their own. "Expedient Jumbos" were M4A3's modified with extra armour scavenged from the many wrecks laying around from the Battle of the Bulge.

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2014, 20:21 PMAvNY
The Sherman really did have values that aren't modeled in COH. They were very mechanically reliable. Performed well in their designed role (breakouts). Were easy to repair even after having been knocked out.

This helped make possible many of the breakneck chases of the US Army through France and at Remagen, and the complete turn of the 3rd Army front during the Battle of the Bulge. All of them were operations because of opportunity and not planning.

A lot of the benefits of Allied Tanks aren't portrayed in-game unfortunately. The ability for Tanks that were "KIA" to be salvaged and returned to combat, the ease of repairs, the lower costs and superior numbers, etc. A lot of these would be too hard to balance, but in it's current state, Allied tanks are underwhelming in the late to end-game (the period where everything is Vet 3/5 and the Super-Heavy tanks roll out).

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2014, 21:57 PMKatitof

All of the sturmtigers have actually seen combat.
Most of the pershings not, just two did(or I'm confusing it with super pershing? anyway normal ones in combat were even more rare then sturmtigers).

Nah there were more than 2 M26's used, but only the first batch saw any action, and it was in the final months of the war. There were 2 only Super Pershings, and only one saw light action.

If I'm not mistaken the Tiger's 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 gun couldn't penetrate the Jumbos frontal armour (178 mm @ 30 degrees). Would have been fun to see it in-game as an Sherman who won't go full BBQ after a couple of hits.

Yes, they could. That's one of the reasons it's being suggested as a viable alternative to an IS-2 clone.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS