Login

russian armor

Spamm or skill ?

26 Aug 2014, 18:00 PM

For the mods: I know this is somehow OT, but people need to learn the difference between people searching and actual fraction distribution, so all this whining finally stops. If you think it is too far OT, PM me and I'll move the OT stuff to an own topic you might want to pin.

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2014, 14:58 PMFul4n0

no, but if 75% of players searching for a game, are axis players, only a 33% of axis players searching at a time will find a game, coz only 25% of players searching are allied players...

So an axis player has to wait 3x more time than an allied to get a game....

isn´t this a problem for you???

Well, every player has a certain ELO number and someone of you ELO-level might not be searching too, thus searching as allies does not automatically grant an instant game. But the longer you search, the bigger the ELO-"search area" gets, and in my experience it is not that bad as axis compared to allies. Shorter search time would be good if searching as axis, but as it is slightly more popular this will not happen due to these facts: player base is not that big, fixed factions / no mirror matches (good because of the setting). You cannot nearly reach a 50/50 distribution consistently with such a small player base, as there will always be that ~5 people more searching for the other faction. No faction design can change that fact.

So if in a week every day it says 80% are searching as the the Axis then over 7 days, correct my logic if I am wrong, then 80% of players playing this game are playing as the Axis. I mean I could be wrong.... but I don't think Iam.

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2014, 16:02 PMChris

Thats it !!

So, to make it easier to understand for you, I'll use absolute numbers. Whenever I'm online, there are around 6000 players online. Let's assume ~100 people are searching for games (which will be far to high, I guess it will be 10-20, but nevermind for now) and half of the players are playing online ( => 3000; which surely is not enough). So among these 3000, 1500 are playing allies, while the other 1500 play as axis. (please don't tell me you don't understand why) Now, in case all of the 100 peolpe searching selected axis, that makes a total of 1600 axis vs 1500 allies. 1600 / (1600 + 1500) = 51.6%. Not that much you see? With less people searching and more than half of the people playing, let's say 50 searching and 4000 playing, you have 2050/4050 = 50.6%.
There is practically no difference in the player bases! For every player playing axis, there is exactly one player playing allies. Not more, not less. The few people searching do not change a thing.
26 Aug 2014, 18:40 PM

what they are saying is that you match up evenly ... 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 .... that 80% are people waiting to play. So as an allies player you get MORE games in because you rarely have to wait. You search and get a game where as the poor Axis player is searching and searching and searching.....
26 Aug 2014, 19:12 PM

what they are saying is that you match up evenly ... 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 .... that 80% are people waiting to play. So as an allies player you get MORE games in because you rarely have to wait. You search and get a game where as the poor Axis player is searching and searching and searching.....

but the short wait times are also a detriment for allies player. The group of allies that end up getting a match are usually different skill levels due to the small number of people searching as allies. It is probably easier for Axis to have a team with similar rating
26 Aug 2014, 20:57 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

For the mods: I know this is somehow OT, but people need to learn the difference between people searching and actual fraction distribution, so all this whining finally stops. If you think it is too far OT, PM me and I'll move the OT stuff to an own topic you might want to pin.........

Not required,though thank you for your consideration :)

Those at the helm of the ship of state, have decided it should now make an adjustment of its course... so please feel free to carry on ;)

26 Aug 2014, 21:31 PM

The number of people SEARCHING as a faction does reflects which faction is more POPULAR. Said that it only shows when there are continuing trends of more people searching as that faction. These pattern dont show people that only play one side or which people switch sides to get a quicker game due to a longer que.

so the number does GENERALY shows axis is more popular due to the continuing trend of higher percentage of player seaching as axis at any given time.

The end
26 Aug 2014, 21:56 PM

The number of people SEARCHING as a faction does reflects which faction is more POPULAR. Said that it only shows when there are continuing trends of more people searching as that faction. These pattern dont show people that only play one side or which people switch sides to get a quicker game due to a longer que.

so the number does GENERALY shows axis is more popular due to the continuing trend of higher percentage of player seaching as axis at any given time.

The end

Thank you
27 Aug 2014, 00:46 AM

The end

Yes, Axis is more popular, but not by a 4 to 1 margin like the search stats might suggest if you apply faulty logic to them.
27 Aug 2014, 01:13 AM

I wouldnt say its a 4/1 ratio, maybe 3/1 ratio or even 5/3. So if you really want find out here's what you can do! Over say 12hr log the percentages of the factions of ever hour. Once this is done you can make graph or calculate the average percentage which will give you a better idea of what the ratio is.

also the bigger the data base you have the more accurate the average will be, so if you take the percentages every half hour for two weeks around the clock the better the results will be.
27 Aug 2014, 05:08 AM

When WF came out I frequently saw 50% searching as allies for about two weeks. Then it went back to the majority searching as axis.

Yes, 80% searching as axis does not equate to 80% only playing axis. However, since I've never seen 80% searching as allies, and see 70 or higher searching as axis almost every time I log on (coupla times a week, random times a day, since closed beta), it's not too much of a logical leap to say that the axis are the player base's favorite as a whole.
27 Aug 2014, 05:37 AM

I wouldnt say its a 4/1 ratio, maybe 3/1 ratio or even 5/3. So if you really want find out here's what you can do! Over say 12hr log the percentages of the factions of ever hour. Once this is done you can make graph or calculate the average percentage which will give you a better idea of what the ratio is.

also the bigger the data base you have the more accurate the average will be, so if you take the percentages every half hour for two weeks around the clock the better the results will be.

Did you even read what I wrote? You will get ~51/49, probably less, if you consider everybody playing and searching, which is what you have to do to calculate percentage for each faction. Which shows that there is almost no difference in player base. (Even less than) 51 out of 100 people prefer axis.

I guess I should have listened to SlaYoU, some people are not good enough with numbers to understand the basics... :(
27 Aug 2014, 05:49 AM

Not skill or spam, but the skill to spam.... :D
27 Aug 2014, 06:28 AM

Well, the Soviets are considered as the easiest out of all factions.

The popularity of axis isn't really to do with balance, it's because the Axis will always be popular in any game. I'm sure that the majority of the axis searching are OKW too because of their 'cooler' Units.
27 Aug 2014, 06:50 AM

Well, the Soviets are considered as the easiest out of all factions.

Hmm... not sure where you got that from.

There's a lot that Soviets miss out on depending on their build order, units which all other factions get as standard often.

Trying out Soviets first off is a recipe for continuous disappointment.
27 Aug 2014, 08:02 AM

Did you even read what I wrote? You will get ~51/49, probably less, if you consider everybody playing and searching, which is what you have to do to calculate percentage for each faction. Which shows that there is almost no difference in player base. (Even less than) 51 out of 100 people prefer axis.

I guess I should have listened to SlaYoU, some people are not good enough with numbers to understand the basics... :(

The matter of fact is more that 80% of people want to play Axis first, whatever their reasons are.
Now since 100% of that pool of player want to play the game, some of them just switch faction to have a faster one.

So now the question is what is inside the "whatever reasons" that make them wanting to play Axis first.
27 Aug 2014, 08:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 08:02 AMEsxile

So now the question is what is inside the "whatever reasons" that make them wanting to play Axis first.

Well, most players history knowledge starts and stops on Holywood movies, they are all like:

And they stay at this usually.
27 Aug 2014, 08:18 AM

Hey maybe next Brad Pitt movie "Fury" or so called will change some minds, people will start playing USF to control a cool Sherman tank! :D
27 Aug 2014, 08:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 08:18 AMEsxile
Hey maybe next Brad Pitt movie "Fury" or so called will change some minds, people will start playing USF to control a cool Sherman tank! :D
Who would want to control an M4 just to be Brad Pitt? :S
27 Aug 2014, 08:35 AM

I want to be Shia Lebeouf IRL! And the tank seems to be an E8... so cheated!! Some people over that forum will probably call the director to nerf it.
27 Aug 2014, 08:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 08:35 AMEsxile
I want to be Shia Lebeouf IRL! And the tank seems to be an E8... so cheated!! Some people over that forum will probably call the director to nerf it.
The director went Rifle Company. Expect the white phosphorus, M2 flamethrower and veteran riflemen coming along.
27 Aug 2014, 10:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 08:02 AMEsxile
The matter of fact is more that 80% of people want to play Axis first, whatever their reasons are.
Now since 100% of that pool of player want to play the game, some of them just switch faction to have a faster one.

Imagine you have 8 people searching as axis, 2 people searching as allies. Finally, matchmaking puts two if them into a game. If one new axis an one new allied player starts searching (which would be a 50/50 split for the newcomers), you still stay at 80% axis.
A constant 80% searching axis does not neccessarily equal 80% wanting to play as axis at first, in fact you can't derive anything from these numbers alone (especially not your statement of "80% want to play axis first").

edit: To make it clear: you can't derive what people want to play from these numbers (no % of player preferring axis over allies everytime), you can only derive how many people actually play a faction (what I already did in this thread).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★