Login

russian armor

Relic trying to save War Spoil with Free Commander Rotation

PAGES (7)down
15 Jul 2014, 23:11 PM

People will never be satisfied. I am so tired of the whining. Yes war spoils needs a little tweaking but its nice in comparison to having to pay for everything.
16 Jul 2014, 00:00 AM

Well....the reason it's upsetting is because there are completely different tactics you can't even practice because you don't have "said" commander. Maybe by the time you do get it, it will be nerfed. Sort of like the Tiger Ace. At first in Vcoh2 it was pay to win commander. Now no one complains about it that much because since there are more factions, it's not necessarily OP now.

Since buying OKW/US I'd have expected more than 3 commanders. Soviets and OST gave us many to choose from and a lot of them were sort of similar. The game has changed so much that I think the reason most are complaining is because NEW commanders are totally different and people just want an even playing field. I don't want the new commanders because they are OP or whatever, I just want them to level the playing field. Everyone who bought WFA should have 6 commanders to choose from. The drops should be commanders similar to the normal ones with different layouts but it's setup that the spoiled commanders are indeed vastly different.
16 Jul 2014, 00:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2014, 23:11 PMRogers
People will never be satisfied. I am so tired of the whining. Yes war spoils needs a little tweaking but its nice in comparison to having to pay for everything.

You're right: I don't have to pay for things I want.

Instead, I don't get anything I want at all.
16 Jul 2014, 00:47 AM

I just don't understand. How can anyone be happy with this system? What was wrong with the old system of unlocking things yourself if you wanted to? Do people forget this is an RTS game?

War spoils is classic MMORPG gating content through RNG. All they did was take all the DLC to date, shuffle it up a bit, sprinkle in duplicates, and release it back to you will abysmal drop rates. Think about that for a second... the phrase "drop rates".... in your RTS game, drop rates....

If they wanted people to stick to playing this game for a long time then they should have done the same thing they did in DOW2. Which is unlock skins for units in the game when you lvled up. Or unlock commanders through the ranking system. Which I thought they already had.

1. Unlock through achievement.
2. Pay for commander.
3. RNG

RNG is always the wrong choice, it artificially extends the life of your content. Especially if the other choices are taken away.

This genre of game does not work well with access to units being behind a RNG mechanic.
16 Jul 2014, 00:57 AM

I just don't understand. How can anyone be happy with this system? What was wrong with the old system of unlocking things yourself if you wanted to? Do people forget this is an RTS game?

War spoils is classic MMORPG gating content through RNG. All they did was take all the DLC to date, shuffle it up a bit, sprinkle in duplicates, and release it back to you will abysmal drop rates. Think about that for a second... the phrase "drop rates".... in your RTS game, drop rates....

If they wanted people to stick to playing this game for a long time then they should have done the same thing they did in DOW2. Which is unlock skins for units in the game when you lvled up. Or unlock commanders through the ranking system. Which I thought they already had.

1. Unlock through achievement.
2. Pay for commander.
3. RNG

RNG is always the wrong choice, it artificially extends the life of your content. Especially if the other choices are taken away.

This genre of game does not work well with access to units being behind a RNG mechanic.

I think they just want to stick to winning formula of COH Online........
16 Jul 2014, 01:19 AM

@Brachiaraidos
@Wooof
@Milkacow

+ over 9000 to you guys.

I don't believe in aliens much...but if I did, the COH2 community is a piece of humanity I would be embarrassed to show them.

+ 10,000
16 Jul 2014, 01:20 AM

@Brachiaraidos
@Wooof
@Milkacow

+ over 9000 to you guys.

I don't believe in aliens much...but if I did, the COH2 community is a piece of humanity I would be embarrassed to show them.

+ 10,000
nee
16 Jul 2014, 01:29 AM

Increadibly stupid idea. Just a marketing ploy. The only people that remotely benefit are those that don't own commanders on the rotation and want to try playing as them. Even the description points that out quite clearly: those that don't own the commanders get to try them. It is therefore not for the entire community, but catered to those who are without to give them a taste, to manufacture a demand for products they do not yet own.

Want a better idea? Make the rotation using exclusive, up-and-coming and therefore very limited selection of new commanders. It would effectively be a beta programme for the community to try out commanders that Relic or other consumers have made to test out, either to sell eventually or just for kicks. If some commanders turn out very popular and balanced, they can become bonafide commanders for free or for sale; Relic can even use the experience to craft new original commanders and hence test THOSE.

As is, it's just a short-sighted attempt to pad their numbers and regenerate interest in the game.
16 Jul 2014, 01:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 00:21 AMNalano

You're right: I don't have to pay for things I want.

Instead, I don't get anything I want at all.

blame these same exact people who cried p2w before.

There is a chance for you to NEVER get something that is "available" to everyone.

That should not be possible. That is preventing someone from getting a War Spoil that was promised to be obtainable. Now, other systems have trading which means it IS possible to obtain something you'll never earn. But we have nothing of the sort.

In short, it is the worst idea in the world to half-release a luck-based drop system.

Also, bulletins and faceplates are worth nothing. The thing with TF2 is that you can craft crappy items into metals that are universally worth something. That is why i fear for a trading system. No one wants a lot of the spoils, at least you wont get anything that you might not already have in return.

so they should implement trading, so you can trade your worthless bulletins and faceplates for a commander? good luck convincing someone to accept that trade.

i think what you want (and all the other complainers) is to just be handed all the commanders for free without playing the game. the whole point of this system is to give incentives to actually playing the game. obviously theyre hoping this will prolong the lifespan of the game. will it? maybe not. but giving out everything for free day 1 sure wont. the fact people have made multiple threads on how to farm drops, how much they hate drops, how much they want the new commanders, etc. only proves the idea is atleast partially working. people want the new commanders. to get them, you have to play. thats exactly what relic wants, people playing their game.
16 Jul 2014, 02:59 AM

I posted this in the other thread on this issue and I'll post it here as well.

I don't want to "craft loot," I don't want to "grind for legendary drops," I don't want to trade "hats," and I don't want to buy / test drive commanders.

Here is what I want: I pay $60 ($80 now with this expansion) and I receive all of the content that ships with the game immediately.

This drop and commander rotation system is the most half assed attempt at artificial longevity I have ever seen implemented into a game.

It is amazing that even 1 person at Relic thought that any of this was a good idea or would be well received by the community.

It's also telling that Relic has been almost completely silent on this issue since they know that their terrible incentive program has been chewed up and spit out by the community.

And to the people comparing this to TF2 or DOTA 2 (ignoring the fact that the "cosmetic economy" or "pay2grind-less" systems are absolutely horrendous), this is a game I paid a significant amount of real money for, not received for free.
16 Jul 2014, 03:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 02:59 AMVulture

I don't want to "craft loot," I don't want to "grind for legendary drops," I don't want to trade "hats," and I don't want to buy / test drive commanders.

Here is what I want: I pay $60 ($80 now with this expansion) and I receive all of the content that ships with the game immediately.

This drop and commander rotation system is the most half assed attempt at artificial longevity I have ever seen implemented into a game.

It is amazing that even 1 person at Relic thought that any of this was a good idea or would be well received by the community.

It's also telling that Relic has been almost completely silent on this issue since they know that their terrible incentive program has been chewed up and spit out by the community.

And to the people comparing this to TF2 or DOTA 2 (ignoring the fact that the "cosmetic economy" or "pay2grind-less" systems are absolutely horrendous), this is a game I paid a significant amount of real money for, not received for free.

Exactly. Its a PAID REAL TIME STRATEGY WORLD WAR II THEMED GAME. Why the hell is there a severely RNG based drop system that is unpredictable and drops duplicate items?

I can play for years and years and not get all content. I dont have that patience.

Neither do most people.

And even those games listed you can buy most of the content yourself.
16 Jul 2014, 03:36 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 01:42 AMwooof

so they should implement trading, so you can trade your worthless bulletins and faceplates for a commander? good luck convincing someone to accept that trade.

i think what you want (and all the other complainers) is to just be handed all the commanders for free without playing the game.

There are people who think that, but I'm not one of them

I would like a clear idea of what I have to do.

When acheivements were linked to bulletins you knew what you had to do, and could go out and do it - often using tactics and units you would never have used otherwise (Chasing T-70s with Panthers, baseraping someone with SU-76s, etc)

It's not like the only two options are:

P2W

or

Duplicate Faceplates from here to eternity
16 Jul 2014, 03:41 AM

I can play for years and years and not get all content. I dont have that patience.

Neither do most people.

yeah how is anyone ever expected to make any real progress with the system the way it is right now. I play COH2 a fair amount and i barely get any drops and when i do its duplicate anyway. The current system makes it practically impossible to get some of the games key content.
16 Jul 2014, 03:47 AM

In its current form, its actually a terribly conceived system.

"Hey, why don't we ignore every proven system in the industry and make our own terrible system? That sounds great. At least we can say we were trying to innovate or something if it fails."

A system where paying for content and unlocking it through game play has been tried and proven in many games. An example that works that I can think of straight away is Battlefield 3 & 4. Guaranteed unlocks as you play, as well as an option to pay real money to unlock everything that you want if you don't have the time to invest. Investing time in multiplayer to unlock more content is fair, but a system based completely off of RNG is stupid when said content effects MP matches.

All Relic had to do was just improve on their old progression system, i.e. you unlock X Commander at Y level at Z Prestige, as well as implement an option to pay for commanders instead of leveling up, on top of that a lottery system at the end of matches to unlock faceplates or skins. These aesthetic add ons could also be bought if players wanted, but perhaps Relic could make a few rare faceplates/skins only obtainable through war spoils, at least they don't effect game play.

If the content was purely aesthetic, I would understand, much like the the drop system of CS:GO, where at the end of matches you have a chance to get a loot crate or random gun skins. However they provide all interchangeable weapons as a baseline, so at the least all matches are fair. So instead of providing a fair system where you could invest TIME to be guaranteed to unlock content as you level up, as well as providing an option to invest MONEY to unlock content, Relic went the completely nonsensical route of a lottery system to unlock actual game affecting content.

In a direct response to what you say about this community, I find the circle jerk defense for Relic's mistakes equally embarrassing. Why defend bad decisions?
16 Jul 2014, 04:12 AM

Its another good idea/bad execution by Relic. War spoils must prioritize things that affect game play (commanders, bulletins) rather than cosmetic trash (faceplates/skins/victory strikes) for the sake of the game play. Thats why Valve f2p games doing so well (dota2 300k+ players any given time): everybody gets exactly same full content for free, then players can buy/win customization items from load screens to tons of cosmetic.

And what we have in coh2? You want rifle/mech company for unique play stiles they provide? Playing a lot and dont bother to spend some cash on them if they were available in steam? Well, FUCK YOU, either grind 24/7 with scripts or enjoy another shitty faceplate.

And giving commanders which everybody who want them bought anyway months ago not fixing anything.
16 Jul 2014, 04:42 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 02:59 AMVulture

you know, they are creating new contents after the release. it's not like they had all the content ready to go at the release and slowly released them one by one.

it's funny how you act like you got half a game at release/purchase. you did get a full game and you are paying for for NEW contents.
16 Jul 2014, 04:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Why defend bad decisions?

how do you not know what an opinion is???
16 Jul 2014, 04:53 AM

I have an idea!!! Lets make these commanders earnable and purchasable!:) :D
16 Jul 2014, 05:32 AM

know whats funny? :D P2W is pay2win but in this case its now play2win
16 Jul 2014, 05:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2014, 04:48 AMWiFiDi

how do you not know what an opinion is???

An opinion is that thing that's like an arsehole right?
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS