Login

russian armor

Pathfinders (USF)

23 Jan 2017, 12:44 PM

Wait, just to make clear that I understood that correctly: Instead of receiving officers free by teching up (something that has looked quite hypocritical since the removal of OKW's teching boons, and especially when looking at Ostheer and Soviet teching), officers would have to be upgraded from Riflemen separately of teching up?

On one hand that offers so much interesting possibilities (tying the exact officer upgrade to the veterancy level of the squad that is to be upgraded, i.e. a vet1 Rifleman squad can only become a Lieutenant, while upgrading to a Major requires a vet3 squad), but on the other hand that would require significant rebalancing of those officers, considering that a Major has significantly less combat impact than a Rifleman squad (thus reducing the probability for players to upgrade to him).

There are many way to implement promotion of riflemen to other infantry or officers. The simplest for start would be to have the additional option to promote a riflemen to LT for lets say 75 MP 50 FU once riflemen hits vet 1 while losing lets say 50% of his vet.

A similar principal could apply to ranges, paratroopers, assault engineers, pathfinder and so on...

Or one could even try to have RE being able to be promoted (even to riflemen) but in that case veterancy would probably have to go up to 2 or even 3.

If one wanted to be really creative, one could try to have USF start with a single riflemen, have riflemen locked behind an officers and allow RE to be upgraded to other infantry.

That would give USF a unique feel, create thematic feel of an untrained army, make the need to nerf riflemen less severe since they would hit the field later and allow more diversity builds since one would be able to have more core infantry types by choosing doctrines.
23 Jan 2017, 13:59 PM

I'am the only one using Pathfinders with a UKF mate in 2v2 that drop me 2 vickers for them ?

I mean, they snipes squads like ...

And when they pick a LMG 34 ... lol :p
23 Jan 2017, 14:17 PM

Give it a ammo costing snipe shot like the Tommie marksman upgrade in vcoh. I think it will make it a unit good for countering snipers. Else it is just a dead weight.
23 Jan 2017, 14:37 PM
Patrion 14

Just make them spawn out of buildings
23 Jan 2017, 14:41 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 14:37 PMLooney
Just make them spawn out of buildings

Real looney?

Where the fuk have u been
23 Jan 2017, 16:07 PM

Real looney?

Where the fuk have u been

Where the fuck has this thread been? Posts before today were 2014 lol.

It's got some really good ideas though. Be nice if paths could get moved to 0cp and maybe have their other two guns be something more suited to long range (instead of m1 carbines) or even like a single 1919 upgrade. Because they do cost more than riflemen, and IIRC they have a whopping reinforce cost of 35. Or just decrease the cost to bring them more in line with support infantry (maybe like 220-240/22-24 to reinforce) but I'd rather see some increased combat effectiveness or at least an ability. The idea about promoting riflemen or REs is intriguing to say the least, and would actually be really cool, but I doubt it would ever happen in coh2 (maybe coh3? Fingers crossed).
23 Jan 2017, 16:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 18:51 PMBryan
Very small suggestion, i'd like to see Relic consider moving the Pathfinders in the Airborne doctrine from one CP, to 0 CP. Reasoning is, it opens up more options for USF players who are rather limited in the very early game. Similar to Assault engineers, more options would be nice, although I acknowledge it has some knock on effect on timings early game, as it means USF would be able to get a squad(S) out without building time from the barracks.

Assault grens for Ostheer appear to work okay in this regard, would Pathfinders?

Indeed
23 Jan 2017, 20:44 PM

The biggest problem of the airborne doctrine is that by the time airborne come in the player is forced to build too many rifles to still build airborne.

Completely agree.
23 Jan 2017, 21:00 PM

If we are going to necro...

I like the idea of pathfinders moving to 0cps. If they are too powerful make them gain their sniping power at vet levels. This would allow players to invest in pathfinders early, without overpowering weapon teams, and would make airborne a possible replacement for rifle spam. Their reinforcement cost also needs to be reduced. Their current rate and speed is too outrageous to make them worthwhile.
23 Jan 2017, 21:12 PM

I like the idea of pathfinders moving to 0cps. If they are too powerful make them gain their sniping power at vet levels. This would allow players to invest in pathfinders early, without overpowering weapon teams, and would make airborne a possible replacement for rifle spam. Their reinforcement cost also needs to be reduced. Their current rate and speed is too outrageous to make them worthwhile.

+1 on all accounts.

Additionally, Pathfinders should be able to call in arty without the ability being locked behind a commander.
24 Jan 2017, 00:37 AM

the only reason i necro'd this is that the stupid "osther mortar OP" Thread disappears from the front page.

Turned out even better LOL
24 Jan 2017, 01:00 AM

Shock Troops at 0 CP...remember that?
24 Jan 2017, 02:24 AM

Shock Troops at 0 CP...remember that?

Yes but the 2 units aren't even comparable. Paths lose against everything but pios 1v1. They are support infantry, not elite troops.
24 Jan 2017, 02:30 AM

Give it a ammo costing snipe shot like the Tommie marksman upgrade in vcoh. I think it will make it a unit good for countering snipers. Else it is just a dead weight.

They have this on AA.
Airborne could use some buffs, Pathfinders would a good place to start I think.
Vaz
24 Jan 2017, 04:45 AM

I remember pathfinders having a large pop cost as well, big reason why I sometimes didn't want to use them. Their damage output can get insane with the right conditions, but they can't take a punch at all. They would frequently instantly die.
24 Jan 2017, 05:55 AM

How about it?

1. You can call them in 0 CP (But without sniper rifle. Only 4 M1 carbins)
2. You can get scoped rifle with 40 muni (60 muni is too expensive I think)
3. After upgrade, they can't get any other weapons (yea some people say it was OP)

Then I think, it will be better.
24 Jan 2017, 06:09 AM

Need to reduce their cost then, if they can't get BARs and will be a support scout sniper unit, they shouldn't cost 290 MP nor 37 MP per model.
24 Jan 2017, 06:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 18:59 PMRomeo
That wouldn't change the fact that pathfinders are a total waste of manpower. They cost more than a rifle squad and have less firepower and less utility.

Getting them earlier wouldn't help as they're not useful that early in the game. Instead, they should be either cheaper or more effective.

Who's the ugly actress in that pic? Don't recognise her.

Don't recognise the dude either tbh, tho of the two I'd probably cum in him first.
25 Jan 2017, 06:56 AM

Need to reduce their cost then, if they can't get BARs and will be a support scout sniper unit, they shouldn't cost 290 MP nor 37 MP per model.

Honestly they shouldn't even be that expensive to all in or reinforce in their current state. They're good infantry, but no replacement for rifles. They are a support squad, not elites, as their reinforcement cost would suggest (which is ironically more expensive than both the usf elite units').
25 Jan 2017, 22:12 PM
Patrion 27

I Really like the GeneralsGentelmen mod change for Pathfinder:

Lieutenant
Replaced with Pathfinders due to too much overlap with Riflemen

Pathfinders
Beacons are unlocked via Airborne or Recon Support Company
Veterancy requirements increased from 360/680/1360 to 480/960/1720
Reinforcement time reduced from 7.6 to 6 seconds
Reinforcement cost reduced from 37 to 32
The price decrease seemed necessary since Pathfinders were reliant on double BARs and quick vet

Otherwise, I'd be happy with Pathfinders being able to spawn from garrisons in friendly territory (all infiltration units should have to be in owned territory) and left at 1cp.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★