Login

russian armor

Map Hac- Er, I mean, Searchlight

8 Jan 2015, 11:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jan 2015, 02:29 AMDeesis

as far as i know the search light turns into a laser on vet 5

right, and it's shoting down USF and soviet space shuttles.
8 Jan 2015, 11:01 AM

It works together with a Sturmtiger. Shoot the Sturmtiger before the enemy sees it, while you know perfectly where the blob is moving.

And this strat works? How often do you use it and in which mode 1v1, 2v2, higher?

Pretty risky regarding MP and fuel, isn´t it?
8 Jan 2015, 12:44 PM

And this strat works? How often do you use it and in which mode 1v1, 2v2, higher?

Pretty risky regarding MP and fuel, isn´t it?

Obviously when relic matchmaking decides to place me against some players that got coh2 during the latest steam sale.
8 Jan 2015, 12:54 PM

Obviously when relic matchmaking decides to place me against some players that got coh2 during the latest steam sale.

this. my last couple of 2v2s have been vs players with an average of 5 hours played... no fun
8 Jan 2015, 14:05 PM

The IR Searchlight DOES give away its position. I at first thought it was graphical corruption but when it sweeps your units it changes their color so you know youve been swept by it. You can use this to figure out exactly where the HT is.

It is a gimmicky waste of fuel and is in no way shape or form OP. If Mortars and such could auto fire or it reduced scatter on swept units to make arty more useful then maybe. But it doesnt do any of those things. It just tells the enemy you have seen him and shows you where he is in an uncontrollable cone.
8 Jan 2015, 15:31 PM

I agree with Ami, this unit requires 0 micro skills and it scales really well 2v2+. In large scale games, the 25 fuel cost is hardly an issue for the OKW.
8 Jan 2015, 15:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I found this unit to be very good, even in 1v1 you can use it to a great effect.
9 Jan 2015, 08:21 AM

It's a good unit, but it's incredibly impractical. It comes out of the T1 building (so you could get a cannon-HT or PJIV), and it costs a fair bit of fuel/mp.

Realistically, you just aren't going to buy it early game; it's too much of an investment. Even if you had 100% map vision, the resource hit alone would probably set you back - and the thing doesn't have 100% map vision. It has a small FoV that it scans across a larger FoV. Oh, and it takes time to setup.

The only time I've ever used it in 1v1 is when the game has been going on for a LONG time (40+ minutes) and has become a stalemate (both times this has happened was on that map with the river/stream across the middle, and a bunch of trees. forgot the name). At that point, you have enough units to defend in a static manner; which is where the thing shines.

You can use it to spot for your Stuka, meaning that you can strike your enemies WHILE they are massing - this is absolutely amazing; but it means having a Stuka (100 fuel) and an IRHT (35f?) + a considerable amount of MP. It's often more effective to get a panther if you want to push. If you're not using it to spot for Arty, it's pointless.

You're not going to use it to stop flanks - if you built one, you're obviously at a stale-mate, and you've already made a defensive line which won't get flanked easily; or you can play well enough to move your forces around in a quick manner.

Basically, it's not OP. It's decent, and insanely situational. When it's used RIGHT it's incredible, but using it right is so rare in 1v1 that it's basically a 'joke' unit.
9 Jan 2015, 08:37 AM

Naaah it's useless in 1s and 2s. In 3s and 4s it's good though. But in 1s and 2s you are gonna need something too attack the enemy with even if you know where they are.
9 Jan 2015, 09:02 AM

... but we complained about all OKW units and this is the only one left :P. Hehe.

+1
10 Jan 2015, 05:21 AM
Donator 11

It just needs to be seen through the fog of war like in singleplayer. Unit fixed
10 Jan 2015, 08:15 AM
Patrion 28

nope, because then it get's hard countered by artillery.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★