Login

russian armor

Map Hac- Er, I mean, Searchlight

29 Jun 2014, 15:06 PM

Does nobody think this is a bit ridiculous? You get to see where your opponents are at all times and they can't even see where your searchlight is.

It lets them counter everything you do before you do it. You can't set up ambushes for vehicles, can't flank anything, and you can't sneak around the map or make any troop movements without the thing spotting you. It's like an inbuilt map hack.

At the very least we should be able to see where the enemy searchlight is when it's spotting you, then we can at least have a chance to take it out.
29 Jun 2014, 15:11 PM

Does nobody think this is a bit ridiculous? You get to see where your opponents are at all times and they can't even see where your searchlight is.

It lets them counter everything you do before you do it. You can't set up ambushes for vehicles, can't flank anything, and you can't sneak around the map or make any troop movements without the thing spotting you. It's like an inbuilt map hack.

At the very least we should be able to see where the enemy searchlight is when it's spotting you, then we can at least have a chance to take it out.

• Its defenseless
  • Limited range
  • Costs quite a bit of fuel for what it is, and since OKW get 66% resources
  • Useless without support
29 Jun 2014, 15:24 PM
Senior Caster Badge

You mean the IR HT? I tried it out vs the AI and it seemed of limited use - it only spots stuff under the searchlight and even that only happens in an arc in front of it that sweeps back and forth, so it's not like a continual maphack. And like SturmTigerNeffarion said, it's a heck of a thing to spend fuel on.
29 Jun 2014, 15:28 PM
Patrion 14

It's one of those units I've never made and probably wont until I see a cleverer player develop some stunning use for it.
29 Jun 2014, 15:33 PM

It literally reveals what your enemy is going to do. How is it not useful?

I get that it's expensive and has no self-defense, but so does the self-propelled Howitzer and that's pretty useful. Yeah, I know, poor comparison. But the point being that just because it needs a cheap throwaway unit to babysit doesn't mean it's useless. I can't even see where it is to start flanking it anyways.

Like, its range is long enough that it can sit pretty far back and be safe, which is aided by the fact that Allies can't see it.

I just think if I'm going to be facing up against the Eye of Sauron, I should have at least be able to tell where it is.
29 Jun 2014, 16:00 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Look, post some replays of you owning it up with it and I'll accede to your point. Until then I'm pretty sure you're talking straight out of your ass.
29 Jun 2014, 16:21 PM

I'm going to use it my next few OKW games and see if I can figure out strats for it.
29 Jun 2014, 16:36 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Dunno how strong it is in 1v1... usefulness seems to scale up in bigger modes (OP in big teamgames). But I'm not a fan of any of these map-hackish abilities (like radio intercept) that don't require any micro.
29 Jun 2014, 16:50 PM

Shouldn't be continuous..
And should be restricted in range. Now it's like, the hell.
29 Jun 2014, 16:51 PM
Patrion 27

It comes from the same truck as the Infantry Gun massively improving their performance by spotting without extending.
29 Jun 2014, 16:56 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I'm pretty sure it is restricted in range.
29 Jun 2014, 19:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As AMI said, it scales well with higher numbers.
But it´s not like we have Partisans map hack, radio intercept (up to some point), interrogation, spotting scope on vet2 222, infantry tracking, etc.

Until proved wrong by replays (1v1 or 2v2) i would say it´s fine.
29 Jun 2014, 20:00 PM
Patrion 14

it does have restricted range. i like the idea of it being non continuous is nice though. as of now it just scans all day long.
29 Jun 2014, 22:42 PM

I played a terrific 1 hour 4 v 4 today with IR searchlight, 2 x Jagdpanzer IV, and 1 captured M8/1 75mm Infantry gun.

The IR searchlight is superb in team games and vital. It also helps the Jagtiger a lot. It's an early warning device that helps spot for artillery and exposes units significantly into the fog of war.
30 Jun 2014, 07:50 AM

It might be an issue 3v3+ games, yet again there should be enough recon around to localize it.
30 Jun 2014, 08:08 AM

People should stop complaining about OKW units. OP that, OP this. Compared to other factions, many OKW units can be considered as OP. But again everybody forgets about income limitations of the faction. If you nerf some of these units, than OKW will lose the small advantages that helps it to overcome its serious problems, like resources income.
Stop analyzing single units, whithout considering the context. This is this faction's architecture. Deal with it, and if you think is to easy for OKW, play with it and see if you maintain your opinion.
30 Jun 2014, 08:12 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

We're not allowed to criticize the design and functionality of single units because the faction as a whole has a weaker income system? Frankly that's ridiculous. I'll say it again... this unit kills the True Signt system completely and requires zero micro to do so. That's no fun to watch, no fun to micro (because you don't micro it) and no fun to play against. I'm not saying "remove it from the game", I'm just saying it should be made a little more micro intensive and a little less robotic.
30 Jun 2014, 08:31 AM

Making it require some micro is a good idea. Maybe it can do just one sweep with an active ability that has a cooldown.
30 Jun 2014, 09:34 AM

We're not allowed to criticize the design and functionality of single units because the faction as a whole has a weaker income system? Frankly that's ridiculous. I'll say it again... this unit kills the True Signt system completely and requires zero micro to do so. That's no fun to watch, no fun to micro (because you don't micro it) and no fun to play against. I'm not saying "remove it from the game", I'm just saying it should be made a little more micro intensive and a little less robotic.

Then the search mode should be manualy toggled and un-toggled and the infrared ray sweep could be slower. Any other changes would be inappropriate in my view.

Even so, tbh I would gladly accept this unit removal from game and other nerfs if OKW gets a normal fuel income.

As I said, everything should be judged by the context.
30 Jun 2014, 09:58 AM

I meant - restricted in range as in should have a smaller range.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★