Login

russian armor

Volkssturm commander?

28 Jun 2014, 00:02 AM

It would be great if we would get commander that would have call in Volkssturm unit.

Stat wise i think they should be around sturmpios only with panzerfaust and upgrade to lmg. Maybe 0-1 CP and coming out of the buildings like partisans.
28 Jun 2014, 00:20 AM

Wouldn't that go against the whole point of the Oberkommando West? The units that are available to the OKW are supposed to represent the German Army in the late 40's(Battle hardened and having the best equipment in the war) which is evident by the fact that every unit the OKW has is high cost, but very effective; having a cheap conscript/penal like unit in the unit roster doesn't make any sense, and it would also throw the balance off by quite a bit. I don't think i'm alone in saying that the current balance is pretty damned great at the moment.
28 Jun 2014, 00:21 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

So you want sturmpios that can cripple their main counter and can appear next to support units from buildings? The Volkssturm were not well trained soldiers, they would be closer to Osttruppen (which have 6 men).

Edit: How would the be different from Falls?
28 Jun 2014, 00:21 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

looking at those pics they should be like osttruppen but even worse...

I dont know anything about volkssturm IRL but they look like even older civilians that got drafted in the last stages of the war.
Making them like sturmpios/pgrens with lmg and faust would be laughable
28 Jun 2014, 00:35 AM

Volkssturm were actually just old and very young people. In 1944 the Wehrmacht had a huge manpower bleed, so Goebbels decided the let everyone fight in the war. Cripples (which already had served), old and young men and women combined with a super fast training lead to a nearly useless infantry. Berlin was defended by 90% of these guys. They died like flies. Well, what do you expect from a 60 year old man?

I don't think the Volkssturm should be in the game. They would have like 10 men in one squad but they would deal absolutely no damage. Just a meatshield.
28 Jun 2014, 00:41 AM

The history behind the design of OKW is bogus. The personnel quality of German formations in 44' were lower than those of 43', and those of 43' were lower than those of 42'. The Wehr peaked in 41' in this area.

The winter 1944 German elite divisions were generally a thin strip of veterans from earlier battles bolstered by the majority: green conscripts age 18-16 frequently. Generally 3 months of training or less prior to the Ardennes offensive. The damage caused by the offensive was mostly the result of strategic surprise and deception rather than formation quality.

Wouldn't that go against the whole point of the Oberkommando West? The units that are available to the OKW are supposed to represent the German Army in the late 40's(Battle hardened and having the best equipment in the war) which is evident by the fact that every unit the OKW has is high cost, but very effective; having a cheap conscript/penal like unit in the unit roster doesn't make any sense, and it would also throw the balance off by quite a bit. I don't think i'm alone in saying that the current balance is pretty damned great at the moment.
28 Jun 2014, 00:42 AM

Sturmpioneers? I don't think you know who the Volkssturm were.

The Volkssturm were basically conscripts armed with anything Germany could find (including french, american, soviet, etc weapons scavenged from armouries). They consisted of workers, first war veterans, policemen, rear echelon personnel, teenagers, the elderly, and anyone else the Nazis could get their hands on for their last stand army.
28 Jun 2014, 00:55 AM

I think it would be kinda interessting having either a Volkssturm, a Werwolves or a H-Youth Commander.

But I could imagine plenty reasons why relic wouldnt want to go near that kind of stuff.

But dangit, this would make for a badarse avatar.

28 Jun 2014, 00:57 AM

I think it would be kinda interessting having either a Volkssturm, a Werwolves or a H-Youth Commander.

But I could imagine plenty reasons why relic wouldnt want to go near that kind of stuff.

But dangit, this would make for a badarse avatar.

Are you sure that isn't a partisan? Afaik Germany never allowed women in combat, not even during the bitter end.
28 Jun 2014, 01:10 AM

The essence shows OKW as having the "best equipment" in small quantities, they are shown as mainly resource scarce.

They are poorer quality than the versatile Ostheer army overall. They have mg34s, lack panzerfausts, rely on light vehicles mostly until heavies come in etc.

Allowing them to spawn out of buildings wouldn't make sense, since they aren't "infiltrating" nor would they have the skills to do so. They would similar to ostruppen, with some utility like fausts. But they probably wont get made due to the actual history behind them.
28 Jun 2014, 01:14 AM

Are you sure that isn't a partisan? Afaik Germany never allowed women in combat, not even during the bitter end.

(H-Youth) AA gun crew.
28 Jun 2014, 01:37 AM

The last pic of opening poster shows a german soldier teaching a woman how to shoot panzerfaust. I think the women like that one used the panzerfaust to combat the enemy and not for something else :p
28 Jun 2014, 02:09 AM

Those photos are caps from a German propaganda newsreel, it's on youtube somewhere.

In reality many volksturm either deserted, surrendered or were targets for artillery concentrations.

Many women served as auxiliaries and service elements for the armed forces.
29 Jun 2014, 05:55 AM

The history behind the design of OKW is bogus. The personnel quality of German formations in 44' were lower than those of 43', and those of 43' were lower than those of 42'. The Wehr peaked in 41' in this area.

The winter 1944 German elite divisions were generally a thin strip of veterans from earlier battles bolstered by the majority: green conscripts age 18-16 frequently. Generally 3 months of training or less prior to the Ardennes offensive. The damage caused by the offensive was mostly the result of strategic surprise and deception rather than formation quality.

Not necessarily. While the overall strength of the German Army wasn't as strong as it was from 39-41, it did have the benefit of having Panzer SS and Heer divisions that were extremely skilled, and had a considerable amount of experience in battle. When the Allies started their campaign in Western Europe, German high command transferred divisions/men who fought in nearly every major battle in WW2 to reinforce Western Europe's defences, so I definitely think the title of "elite divisions" is appropriate and why that persona fits the OKW perfectly. Another thing to take into consideration is that some divisions performed well above any Allied divisions, while others didn't enjoy that same success, so you're correct in stating that not every German division were elite formations.

There's countless battles in WW2(On the Western Front) where Panzer SS divisions faced off against Americans who had more men, resources, tanks, planes and etc and won, so we do have to give credit where credit is due; Relic sought to make the OKW a faction based on Panzer SS and Heer divisions during the Western Front and it reflects that I think. Germans on the Western Front from 41-45 didn't have the manpower, resources, tanks, artillery numbers that the Allies enjoyed, but they made up for that with extremely battle hardened troops, superior training, weapons and tanks.
29 Jun 2014, 07:35 AM

No, I don't want another osttruppen unit type in the game.
29 Jun 2014, 09:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge

To be fair though I recall you are on record as being somewhat enamoured with purported German qualititive superiority.

Stomach and ear battalions don't fit in your Weltanschauung
nee
10 Jul 2014, 21:23 PM

That's a character from the movie Der Untergang.

The Volkssturm would just be the OKW equivalent to Osttruppen, and we already have lots of combat infantry units for OKW. A "Volkssturm" commander would probably not even live up to the name, just like many of the "Blitzkrieg" commanders.
10 Jul 2014, 21:25 PM

I would like to have some Special Operation Doctrine. Not the one we got, but with units like Brandenburger or Wehrwölfe. Some kind of Sabotage Squads with booby traps, mines and a Hummel ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 19
Netherlands 5
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak