Login

russian armor

US troops vs HMG

30 Jun 2014, 23:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 20:34 PMBidet

no you can't balance the game like this because hmg cost ONLY 240

all i see is a german player, who just want to lock an army with only 240 req. Your 240req hmg is just overwhelmed by a bigger force, thats all, hmg can already counter 2x their price, and i'm ok with it, but don't expect to lock all the map with 240req unit wich require no skill to be used

your hmg is overwhelmed? fall back and bring your force, HMG already slow your enemy advance, and its the goal.

Like it or not, no matter how little skill is put into it your opponent is throwing 1000+ manpower and untold munitions at a fight. I don't give a toss how amazingly you micro your one gren squad and your HMG, that is a massive force that needs to be engaged with similar numbers.

Would you feel better if they all came in groups of two five feet apart? Because no amount of micro is going to be worth investing if all you want to do is punch through a relatively weak defense.

You can yell 'omg blob' all you want. You were heavily outnumbered, you lost for that reason alone.

Next time, use your clearly superior micro to hit the blob from two sides, or lure them into MG's in green cover (MG's being plural, not one. Two MG42 in green will blob control any size of blob)

Believe it or not, overwhelming an MG is not actually a 'mistake' that needs punished. It's just a fight. A very simple one called 'I shoot more bullets from all these guys than your MG42 can'

So what if he's throwing 1000 manpower? If he's willing to throw 1000 mp away by just marching into supported MG up front then be my guest. I'll take it. CoH2 is all about counters and HMG should be a hard counter to a blob. US MG does that, Maxim does that as well (it requires some micro however but I'm fine with that) but German MGs don't and I don't think that's fair.
If he flanks me with that army. Yes of course I should loose but if he just walks into MG emplacement hes army should be thorn into pieces. If that's not the case then it will only encourage more blobing because why flank if I can just walk into it and win every time.
As an example you wouldn't throw 1000mp worth of infantry against KV8 would you?
30 Jun 2014, 23:09 PM

Remember WW1 and shouts of over the top then hundreds of soldiers walking/running into MG fire and sometimes overrunning MG's with sheer numbers if you have enough troops then dont see no reason why MG cannot be overran if you're willing to take casualties as a result.
30 Jun 2014, 23:40 PM

So what if he's throwing 1000 manpower? If he's willing to throw 1000 mp away by just marching into supported MG up front then be my guest. I'll take it. CoH2 is all about counters and HMG should be a hard counter to a blob. US MG does that, Maxim does that as well (it requires some micro however but I'm fine with that) but German MGs don't and I don't think that's fair.
If he flanks me with that army. Yes of course I should loose but if he just walks into MG emplacement hes army should be thorn into pieces. If that's not the case then it will only encourage more blobing because why flank if I can just walk into it and win every time.
As an example you wouldn't throw 1000mp worth of infantry against KV8 would you?

Hard counters are not by default completely immune and untouchable by the thing they counter.

You have 240mp, possible 480, in an MG and a gren squad. 1400MP arrives in 5 rifle squads with 600 Muni of BAR rifles.

No, you do not get to 'expect to win' that.

You just don't.

I can kill a Jagdtiger with 1000 fuel's worth of T-70's, too. Just because you hard counter does not mean you cannot be overwhelmed.

If your force is vastly, vastly smaller and flanking would take time or effort, simply blowing your face off is a perfectly viable tactic. The fact that blobbers do it inadvertently is a small footnote.

MG's are magical 'all infantry please go away' buttons.

Throwing 1000MP worth of infantry at a KV8 will also mean a dead KV8 so long as that infantry has any AT capable weaponry, yes. Say, three shrecked Pgren squads. Tasty dead KV8 lunch.
1 Jul 2014, 00:05 AM

Remember WW1 and shouts of over the top then hundreds of soldiers walking/running into MG fire and sometimes overrunning MG's with sheer numbers if you have enough troops then dont see no reason why MG cannot be overran if you're willing to take casualties as a result.

Because you don't take heavy casualties from the MG 42 or MG 34, both scale very poorly at range, and can be overrun by a blob with minimal casualties. A Maxim or M2HB both have higher DPS and scale better over range. At close range the M2 has the highest DPS of any MG in the game, 10DPS higher than the DShK, the previous best MG. In fact, the MG 34's max DPS is only marginally lower than the Maxim or M2HB's minimum DPS, and 2 points lower than the DShK's minimum DPS.
1 Jul 2014, 00:06 AM

Hard counters are not by default completely immune and untouchable by the thing they counter.

You have 240mp, possible 480, in an MG and a gren squad. 1400MP arrives in 5 rifle squads with 600 Muni of BAR rifles.

No, you do not get to 'expect to win' that.

You just don't.

I can kill a Jagdtiger with 1000 fuel's worth of T-70's, too. Just because you hard counter does not mean you cannot be overwhelmed.

If your force is vastly, vastly smaller and flanking would take time or effort, simply blowing your face off is a perfectly viable tactic. The fact that blobbers do it inadvertently is a small footnote.

MG's are magical 'all infantry please go away' buttons.

Throwing 1000MP worth of infantry at a KV8 will also mean a dead KV8 so long as that infantry has any AT capable weaponry, yes. Say, three shrecked Pgren squads. Tasty dead KV8 lunch.

3 squads of suppressed Riflemen shouldn't be able to win against supported MG42 attacking up front and being blobed in the middle of its firing arc. Period.
If he would sent one squad on the left edge of the arc and another one on the right and one of them went through I would be all right with it but he got his 3 squads bunched up right in the centre, suppressed and still managed to win this engagement. No suppressed unit should be able to take out a heavy machine gun shooting at it. Not to forget that my MG was in yellow cover, had a Grenadiers squad spotting for it and US blob was in negative cover as they were walking on the road.

On the side note why don't you try to throw a 1000mp worth of infantry against KV-8 when your opponent is decent and knows what he is doing and come back and share your experience.
1 Jul 2014, 00:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 10:33 AMUmbert

Agreed.

It is so frustrating to see them slowly walking to the MG after the gunner got shot, then standing up taking a look around, kneeling down checking the munitions belt and then starts to shoot. Please shorten this animation/setup time.

And add some more multipliers for each unit in its firing arc. So the MG either suppresses "harder" or kills more if a busload of people are in front of it.

This sounds like a good idea. +1
1 Jul 2014, 01:07 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Doesn't the MG 42 already have a incremental modifiers that raises suppression and damage based on the number of models where it's blasting at? Maybe those could be raised.

Problems with the MG 42, as has been stated are the next gunner needs to immediately start firing rather than waiting to get blasted off as he looks around. There is also the fact that the 42 takes forever to reload and tends to do it at the worst possible times.

1 Jul 2014, 02:10 AM

IMO MGs should automatically get a "free reload" (without any animation) if there have been no enemies in it's LoS in the last 30 seconds (or X amount of time, exact value not important). That would prevent the irritating problem of "Omg enemy spotted! *fires 5 rounds and then has to reload*" that sometimes happens, without requiring a manual reload button.
1 Jul 2014, 07:33 AM

This proves that you have never seen blob of 3 Schrecked PGrens frontally attacking a KV-8...

If you blob them and attack it from the front, your T70 will be nice little campfires before you can say "holy sh*t, that was a bad idea", if the JT has a spotter. Which is equivalent to Oz' scenario with MGH + spotting Gren. These T70 only win if you attack from all sides. Which is what should be neccessary when attacking HMGs.

Hell... you proved your own point wrong with your argument...
1 Jul 2014, 22:31 PM

This proves that you have never seen blob of 3 Schrecked PGrens frontally attacking a KV-8...

If you blob them and attack it from the front, your T70 will be nice little campfires before you can say "holy sh*t, that was a bad idea", if the JT has a spotter. Which is equivalent to Oz' scenario with MGH + spotting Gren. These T70 only win if you attack from all sides. Which is what should be neccessary when attacking HMGs.

Hell... you proved your own point wrong with your argument...

you just forgot something : kv8 and tiger don't cost 240 req
1 Jul 2014, 22:47 PM

Permanently Banned
IMO MGs should automatically get a "free reload" (without any animation) if there have been no enemies in it's LoS in the last 30 seconds (or X amount of time, exact value not important). That would prevent the irritating problem of "Omg enemy spotted! *fires 5 rounds and then has to reload*" that sometimes happens, without requiring a manual reload button.

I agree, but with animation...

This will make the game more real, like the guys always checking the clip...

The MG's looks like retarded or drunk's, imagine 1 spam and you have 1 bullet on the clip lol!
1 Jul 2014, 22:52 PM

Nah, instant without animation would be preferable. The MG would 'reset' when not in combat for X amount of time. If you had it a normal reload, you would be able to exploit it by drawing fire for half a second, waiting X seconds, then charging in while it reloads. Against a smart player, MG's would be even more useless for anything but A-moving behind Grenadiers.
2 Jul 2014, 09:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2014, 22:31 PMBidet
you just forgot something : kv8 and tiger don't cost 240 req

And you forgot that it was about the relation of the cost of the attacking force vs. defending (and that his statement that 3 PGs vs KV8 is an easy win for PG) ;)

edit: if you think it's 240 MP vs the blob, you didn't read Oz' post(s).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
United States 8
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak