Login

russian armor

Volksgrenadier - er what ?

26 Jun 2014, 20:48 PM

Hello guys. I have been playing OKW for some day and I must say I love it. But I found that Volksgrenadier is weak for their price.

Even in long range this unit isn't really good. Many times I got them in green cover and Rifleman could just run into my squad and still have about 80% health, forced me to retreat. Same thing happen with conscript squad. I always have to use at least 2 Volks moving together or some other unit :(.

I find that this unit damage is weak and the only reason to use them is thanks to the panzersherck. Mostly I just move them up front to take the hit so other unit like SturmPioneers and Fallschirmjäger can attack enemy.

Anybody feel the same about Volks ? At least I got SturmTigerGiap agreed with me about it :D.

I don't have any source about their health,power and accuracy. I only speak from experience after more than 35 games with OKW.
26 Jun 2014, 21:03 PM

IMO, the only reason to use them is for the panzershreck, as a meatshield, and to avoid relying on rwerfer43. They do conscript like dps with their rifles.

I think it's vital to pair them with an infantry fighting unit like sturmpio, FJs, or Panzerfusilier. The 2 synergize pretty well.
26 Jun 2014, 21:06 PM

They don't deal much in DPS but they make up for it with 5 levels of vet, a great nade and the flexibility of shreks.

I really don't see any problem with them.
26 Jun 2014, 21:06 PM

use them in cover while sturmpios flank. I do this tactic with both okw and usf(riflemen in cover while assault engineers flank)
26 Jun 2014, 21:07 PM

Maybe they should give the squad leader model a Grenadier Kar 98 to highlight the "hardened veterans" part. :P
26 Jun 2014, 21:28 PM

Vet 4/5 Volks can get nasty. Also considering Sturmpioneers are the best starting unit in the game for combat purposes, volks do just fine.
26 Jun 2014, 21:49 PM

I think the Volksgrenadiers are completely fine since if you get them to vet 4/5, they can stand toe to toe with vet 3 infantry on the Russian and US side. That and they synergise well with Panzerfusiliers, Sturm Officer, Fallshirmjagers and Obersoldaten.

27 Jun 2014, 02:06 AM
Patrion 27

Exactly, with such specialized vehicles and access to Sturmpioneers, Obersoldaten and Falshimjeagers, making Volks stronger seems uncalled for. they are generalist meat shields and their Shreks can win games.
27 Jun 2014, 02:08 AM

Volks are pretty damn powerful at vet 4 or above. Early game simply putting them in groups behind cover is what makes them stronger. Piece-mealing volk squads is never a good idea.
27 Jun 2014, 02:12 AM

Also note that volks grenades throw wickedly fast and even if the US player sees it coming the splash radius from the grenade is high almost guaranteeing damage. I've seen volks grenades wipe out 4-5 man infantry squads.
27 Jun 2014, 02:13 AM

Great nade?

Every time I've used it it has done absolutely nothing
27 Jun 2014, 02:25 AM

Great nade?Every time I've used it it has done absolutely nothing

Really? That's a shame, because it's what the Germans have been missing since day one. I prefer it to the Panzergrenadier's bundled grenade.

My only complaint (same for bundle grenade) is that the effect is a fragmentation effect, but the potato masher was a concussion grenade.
27 Jun 2014, 03:05 AM

The only threat Volks pose to me in the late game - upgrade notwithstanding - are their grenades. They can wipe my vet 3 squads and that's a game winner right there for OKW. Especially if there's something like Obersoldaten there to mop up the pieces.
27 Jun 2014, 03:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I don't typically build many of them, but they are a unit you just can't go without. You're going to want the shreks, and keep them alive to get vet. With shreks they gain vet pretty fast if fighting vehicles.

The problem with spamming sturmpios in their place is sturmpios cost a lot to reinforce and aren't meat shields.
27 Jun 2014, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2014, 20:48 PMKyle
But I found that Volksgrenadier is weak for their price.

Well, against conscripts they work very well imo. But against the USF's riflemen they might not be that good. Riflemen have pretty good close-mid range dps.

Like Ivan said, they are probably quite bad in the early game but when they gain more and more vet they become a real threat. Yesterday I fought vet 5 Volks with vet 3 cons, wasn't easy at all, I think vet 5 Volks won most of the time.
27 Jun 2014, 03:58 AM

Volks have potential which makes them dangerous - a five man squad with a schreck is also annoying. Their grenade is actually pretty good, my riflemen kept losing 3-4 models from one grenade (but they were bunched up in cover all 7 times, yet i found it pretty common). I find them worth the price.
27 Jun 2014, 04:18 AM

Volks are fine, I think.
27 Jun 2014, 04:45 AM

The price was 230 mp in the alpha. Actually they should be cheaper in my opinion since they can't win early engagements against other standard infantry (with equal cover). They might win against cons on long range, but no sane soviet player will do that in the beginning. Against riflemen they seem always to lose.

240 mp vs 240 mp implies that there should cover and range situations that will guarantee a win. Just like long range grens vs rifle men & cons.

Sure they scale well due the vet 5 system of the okw. But so does every okw unit.
27 Jun 2014, 05:12 AM

The price was 230 mp in the alpha. Actually they should be cheaper in my opinion since they can't win early engagements against other standard infantry (with equal cover). They might win against cons on long range, but no sane soviet player will do that in the beginning. Against riflemen they seem always to lose.

240 mp vs 240 mp implies that there should cover and range situations that will guarantee a win. Just like long range grens vs rifle men & cons.

Sure they scale well due the vet 5 system of the okw. But so does every okw unit.

240mp vs 240mp is cons vs Volks. Riflemen are 270. The ability to buy shrecks and vet to the sky is well worth that 10 extra MP IMO.
27 Jun 2014, 06:33 AM

Well, in my opinion nothing needed to change in Volks. I also yesterday saw Dane's cast where this was talked about but they don't really under perform.

With sturmpioneers at the beginning (using BUDDY system if you will :) ) they just rip everything apart. OkW already have sturmpioneers, obersoldaten, fallscrimjägers.

They do just fine compared to conscripts and riflemen. Heard also that Dane is planning on doing some video about this issue and he said that they still need something else. What may that be then? They already have AT capabilities and grenades.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★