Login

russian armor

Do you guys enjoy the vehicle-centric meta?

13 Jun 2014, 02:41 AM
Donator 22

When I used to play COH1, in the beginning, I used to hate infantry centric battles, and then I learned how to deal with it through flanking, pincers, and setting up traps, etc. I generally played as Americans, and I came to enjoy playing t2 def germans and heavy infantry PE. Vehicles would be supplementary, but never the focus of a large amount of matches I played.

In COH2, it feels the exact opposite of this. It seems like a few factors caused this:

1) The lack of Soviet infantry heavy AT (essentially, there's no equiavalent to airborne or rangers, and the ZIS just not being enough, means that vehicles are almost a necessity.)
2) Strong tanks (t34s/PIVs) being effective against infatry. It used to be only STUHs, Shermans, and Ostwinds, which were very soft, filled that role.
3) The lack of a need to build t3/t4 makes doctrinal call ins enticing, and more vehicle play occurs as a result. I remember that only one pershing or tiger could be on the field at a time, while KT/Jagd could only be called in once. Now you can call in as many as you can afford.
4) Mortars becoming more popular, which means that AT guns are much easier to decrew even when placed in the rear. Decrewing AT guns used to require a nice flank or a a flyby Offmap artillery that cost 150 munis.

Personally, I don't really enjoy this. I generally have always had difficulty microing vehicles and I overextend or play too cautiously with them. Also, it always feel like the great mechanics that make infantry play so enjoyable, like cover, weapon profiles, and suppression, are completely ruined. It feels like people build up two vehicle blobs and shove them together like other RTS games, or they might pull a flank and hope for the best. When vehicles become the primary force as opposed to a supplementary force, it seems like tactics and strategy suffer.

How do you guys feel about this? Do you agree with my idea that COH2 is more vehicle centric than COH?
raw
13 Jun 2014, 04:23 AM

Personally, I don't really enjoy this.

You're not alone. I agree with everything you said.
13 Jun 2014, 05:13 AM

I enjoy light armor supporting infantry force.

Tankspam? Leave that for 4v4 heroes.
13 Jun 2014, 05:27 AM

In WW2, vehicles WERE the primary force of every army. Rambo was around 30 years later. On the eastern front, tanks led practically every assault with artillery as support. But artillery is right now junk.
13 Jun 2014, 05:52 AM

I am not a blobbing fan. I think that the infantry has its normal place in COH2. On the contrary, in vCOH blobbing was exagerating, and tanks being eaten by infantry blobs while inflicting nearly zero casualities was a little unrealistic. Any idiot could win if he blobbed enough with paras, rangers, british infantry + officer or grenadiers. Combined arms principle was not so obvious.
13 Jun 2014, 06:45 AM

and tanks being eaten by infantry blobs while inflicting nearly zero casualities was a little unrealistic.

Sounds like Pgren blobs in CoH2 to me... things haven't changed...
13 Jun 2014, 07:03 AM

Sounds like Pgren blobs in CoH2 to me... things haven't changed...

Au contraire.
To build a ranger or a paras blob wasn't so hard and that blob was thick. There were blobs of 5-8 units and no medium armor except ostwinds could really do something against it.
To build a "blob" of just 3 pzgrens you'll need 960 mp and 360 amo. The amo quantity at list is huge. That means that untill middle game and even beyond you won't invest amo in anything else.
More than this, they are not hard to kill at all, and they will drop some of their schrecks for your units. Even a T34/76 kills 2 models per shot almost every time it fires at them. Such "blob" is hardly a problem.
And don't forget a very important thing: reinforecement cost is huge (45 mp). Such "blob" will ruin your economy and seriously delay your teching and arty/air strike call-ins. If you have it, that's pretty much all you have. And it's risky.

No, related to blobbing counter and combined arms principle, Relic did a good job with COH2.
13 Jun 2014, 07:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I dont like how easy infantry dies to ANY explosives this patch. Especially from tiger and isu but any medium tank can do crazy damage.
Otherwise it is fine
13 Jun 2014, 07:16 AM

i don't have a problem with it.

Tanks were the bread and butter of WW2. No army could do without them.

Don't have tanks? If you don't have tanks, you dont have an army.

13 Jun 2014, 07:17 AM

Well in coh 1 u could get away without building any tanks,para or shreck blobs..but thats one of the good things about coh 2 is u have to build tanks at some point of time.

On the flip side infantry die too quickly to tanks.
13 Jun 2014, 08:21 AM
Benefactor 340

Ii think this game is trying to get you to use combined arms , I used to hate rangers in coh 1 they could do everything and rangers blobs were difficult to counter

The game wants you to utilize everything rather than just infantry so that winning comes down to the right combination of units not just spamming one type
13 Jun 2014, 08:40 AM

Ii think this game is trying to get you to use combined arms , I used to hate rangers in coh 1 they could do everything and rangers blobs were difficult to counter

The game wants you to utilize everything rather than just infantry so that winning comes down to the right combination of units not just spamming one type

I found rangers easy to handle,due to poor bazooka penetration.Airborne were beasts tho,with accuracy and penetration plus reinforce on field.
13 Jun 2014, 09:09 AM

What were guys playing schedlt? Puma spam counters rapes airs so bad and airborne is also the worst call in unit for vcoh their rifle dps is just pittifle
Rangers are also bad but ok too just make 3 stugs with atleast vet 2 and suppress + crush and if their still problem go nebels or stukas or kchs same applies to air T4 sucks compared to t3 Unless vs td or your on WT MVGame
13 Jun 2014, 09:22 AM

Permanently Banned
I agree with you. I also find it unfair that late game call in Units (especially ISU) give a shit about how hard you earned veterancy on your units, it just one shots them!
13 Jun 2014, 14:12 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I loved playing against blobs because it set you up for massive destruction to make them rage. On semois you could hide a goliath on one of the walls scattered around (or on the bridge) and when the blob moves by... gg. Bad players are usually the ones blobbing, so you can use some surprise tactics to exploit them.
13 Jun 2014, 16:08 PM

I agree we need to tone down some of the vehicle's deadliness against infantry.

and it'd be interesting to remove the one-at-a-time idea for super tanks.
13 Jun 2014, 16:49 PM

The problem is, vehicles in COH2 either have to be super tank (ISU, Tiger) or being in 3+ horde (PzIV, Stug, T-34). I know tanks are important but I want tanks supporting infantry, not replacing them in late game. Currently, inf in late game is only good for manning AT and throw AT-nade/Faust. And plz Relic reward teching, like the old day when US goes fast Greyhound. It has a fairly good window of opportunity and you don't need to spam it to be effective.
13 Jun 2014, 16:52 PM

I am not a blobbing fan. I think that the infantry has its normal place in COH2. On the contrary, in vCOH blobbing was exagerating, and tanks being eaten by infantry blobs while inflicting nearly zero casualities was a little unrealistic. Any idiot could win if he blobbed enough with paras, rangers, british infantry + officer or grenadiers. Combined arms principle was not so obvious.

No sweating man, but Faghound blob is the mother of all blobs, 4+ Faghounds just eat everything short of Tiger/Panther.
13 Jun 2014, 16:54 PM

The problem is, vehicles in COH2 either have to be super tank (ISU, Tiger) or being in 3+ horde (PzIV, Stug, T-34). I know tanks are important but I want tanks supporting infantry, not replacing them in late game. Currently, inf in late game is only good for manning AT and throw AT-nade/Faust. And plz Relic reward teching, like the old day when US goes fast Greyhound. It has a fairly good window of opportunity and you don't need to spam it to be effective.

This is my feeling as well.

As the game moves forward infantry become a liability to you as they cost mp but do little. One shot wipes are still very high for Ost, and two shot wipes are common for Soviets (which is little better). Watching vet 3 infantry evaporate to most tanks in the late game is stupid. Why did I work so hard to preserve them?
13 Jun 2014, 17:01 PM

It sucks when you have vetted all your infantry early to mid game and watch them fall apart in 1 shot.

Its almost worthless having vetted infantry once tanks come out. One shot from a tiger will kill 4-5 models and you will be lucky to get it back on retreat, and the ISU will just demolish everything you vetted.

I like vehicles but dang infantry are just fodder once its late game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★