Login

russian armor

Western Armies - Tiers and Units?

PAGES (8)down
9 May 2014, 14:58 PM
Patrion 14

Hello CoH2.org.

I propose a thread where we centralise what we know about definite units in the new game. We don't really know much atm so if you spot any info about the following:

Faction Tiers (number / names / type)

Faction Units (and tier)

Commanders

Abilities (doctrinal or otherwise)...

I'd be grateful if you could post them.

If you're up to posting a link to where you saw the info, that would be really good too.

Thanks in advance,

BFW

9 May 2014, 15:03 PM

Ok I start!

-nothing.
9 May 2014, 15:04 PM

I only hope that both new factions will have combined arms units (unlike Panzer Elite) and no mobile Tiers (like brits)
Hux
9 May 2014, 15:07 PM
Patrion 14

I only hope that both new factions will have combined arms units (unlike Panzer Elite) and no mobile Tiers (like brits)

InB4 American mobile capping Army. hope not though...
9 May 2014, 16:13 PM
Patrion 14

Completely agreed, Barton.
9 May 2014, 16:18 PM

I just hope that four rifles and three flamers wont beat everything ostheer and the new german faction can build.
9 May 2014, 16:32 PM

my guess is americans will have mobile HQ and be very offensive focused.

9 May 2014, 16:53 PM
Donator 33

They have hinted that US forces will be fast and mobile, so maybe the west germans are a reflection of that, slow and deadly?
9 May 2014, 17:08 PM

Yeah, that'd be great. Both OF factions were poorly designed and were against CoH tactics. I'm 100000% sure that most of the players don't want to see those idiotic design elements in this game as well.
9 May 2014, 17:10 PM
Patrion 14

Hmmm. They try and capture an 'army character.' I'd characterise the Wehrmacht in 1944-45 into four very broad phases...

1. D-Day - first echelon units were often of negligible quality with captured weapons and light arty. These were, however, backed up with credible second echelon armour (Pz IV mainly) and, later, rapidly entrained heavy armour (Panther, Tiger, etc). The iconic Panzer Ace / SS units were in theatre by the high summer of 1944

2. Post D-Day - Falaise to Market Garden. Tanks were in short supply, the bulk of armoured forces made up of assault guns. Infantry was a mixed bag, with more kampfgruppen made up of converted airforce and training units. The Wehrmacht was still tenacious in defence, but a shadow of the forces available in Normandy. Again, German armour was in a fire-fighting role, shipped east and west (i.e. Market Garden).

3. Market-Garden to The Bulge, late 1944 to January 1945. The last roll of the dice and the final push by the Nazis. We see unprecedented levels of heavy armour and elite infantry rolled west, as well as the Luftwaffe's final hurrah (Op. Bodenplatte). King Tigers, mechanised infantry and elite airborne divisions all feature.

4. Gottendamerung. The End. On it's knees, The Reich has fanatical kids, SS volunteers from all over Europe and the last remnants of the Wehrmacht. The cream of the German forces die defending the Eastern rump of Germany from the Soviets.

How to capture these phases in 'army character.' A mixture of poor quality ostruppen bolstered by the few remaining quality armour and troops (call-ins). Very occasional, but potent, air support using high technology aircraft (Jets, why not?). Iconic units (King Tiger) with fanaticism powaz for last ditch troops. The Wehrmacht in this period were famous for tenacity in defence, and defence in depth, and I'd like to see this reflected.
9 May 2014, 17:18 PM

^^ This is what Oberkommando needs, I hope they design them like this.

I think both new armies will be created from your 3-4 points because the maps, units gave me a feeling that WF will be from Market Garden to the End.

As for the americans devs mentioned that there will be lot of rifleman based tactics and light vehicles, officiers in an interview. Anyway I wonder if we will get the M36 or the M26 in commanders or some sort of special AT.
9 May 2014, 17:50 PM

I'm a little worried that OKW is going to be wacky due to comments about their 'unique way of capturing territory'. I hope i'm not imagining hearing that at least...

I don't mind though, I liked the variety that Brits and PE offered in OF, but that's probably because I'm a scrubby casual player.
9 May 2014, 18:15 PM

So the OKW will be the new brits?
9 May 2014, 18:19 PM

Americans with HQ trucks would make me cancel the pre-order immediately, it would be the same nightmare all over again...
9 May 2014, 18:20 PM

I want something better than just similar armies playing the same, but then radically different factions could break the game.
9 May 2014, 18:22 PM

According to this:
http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2014/05/01/help-us-test-company-of-heroes-2-the-western-front-armies/
To be clear this is unfinished Alpha software, and not the polished and completed game that we will be releasing this summer. There will be parts of the game that are still a work-in-progress, and you may experience more bugs and crashes than when playing fully completed software.

The game is completely unfinished atm.

I have the bad Feeling that the "Western front armies" comming out on june 24 will be a rushed and completely unfinished game full of bugs and imbalances.I can t imagine how they should finish this game in such a short time left until release.

The Alpha of this game starts now and ist not even 2 months left until release to Balance everything.

9 May 2014, 18:50 PM

I am curious to see how they put it all together. I hope for brilliance but my expectations are much lower.

The US needs to have a LOT of artillery options. The US were true masters of artillery usage (with the one caveat being that good maps needed to be available). They had easy access to excellent guns, excellent ammunition, precalibrated "tapes" that prefigured most of the necessary equations, and often gave the artillery units a lot of autonomy to jump in on any attacks if they had the tubes and ammunition available.

The different artillery systems in the war:

The Wehrmacht could bring localized fire fairly quickly and accurately but could not mass artillery strikes and were not the fastest to react as they had to calculate accurate fire each time.

The Brits could bring down strikes faster but not quite as accurately and their organization could also manage larger concentrations when needed.

The Russians could not respond quickly at all and not so accurately but they were able to mass truly spectacular volumes given time.

The US was almost as fast to respond as the Brits, often more accurately (so long as good maps were available) than the Germans, and could do so frequently in great concentrations. "Time-On-Target" would be an order given to artillery units of strike at a given time and place given to units. Any other unit in range hearing the orders and had the spare ammunition was free to participate. And using their pre-figured tapes they knew when they had to fire so their caliber guns would arrive at the same moment as all the others.

9 May 2014, 18:50 PM
Patrion 14

Puma & Sherman.

But this is only a rough guess.
9 May 2014, 18:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Well the pre-order video shows (in order)

American Airborne

Something that looks that a Panzer II or maybe a PIII

Kubelwagen

Air to Ground Rockets

Sturm Tiger

++++++++++++

9 May 2014, 19:20 PM

Well the pre-order video shows (in order)

American Airborne

Something that looks that a Panzer II or maybe a PIII

Kubelwagen

Air to Ground Rockets

Sturm Tiger

++++++++++++

Pretty sure its a Panzer II Luchs
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias