Login

russian armor

Poor MG42 vs Rich MaxPin!

PAGES (7)down
6 May 2014, 19:51 PM

Is this a good thread to put my "can we please make all Soviet support teams more useful" topic in?

Seriously the Maxims cant stop blobs. Blobs are high in my skill levels meta. MG42 however can stop blobs well.

Not to mention Scripts wont use Green cover. There is always that Ahole that stands out and gets the entire squad surpressed.
6 May 2014, 20:20 PM

maxims are annoying ancient pieces of shit. yes they can walk right up to mgs and kill them, that is fucked, but, i guess allot of people on here consider that balance so just learn to kill it by other means of other than camping. german mortars fuck maxims up big time.
6 May 2014, 20:24 PM

maxims are annoying ancient pieces of shit. yes they can walk right up to mgs and kill them, that is fucked, but, i guess allot of people on here consider that balance so just learn to kill it by other means of other than camping. german mortars fuck maxims up big time.

If you allow maxims to do that, then you are the one with the problem. Rifle grenade FTW.
6 May 2014, 20:27 PM

If you allow maxims to do that, then you are the one with the problem. Rifle grenade FTW.

I said they CAN. that is obviously the only part you read so I'm not going to reply to you after this post, obviously, you are looking to fight.
6 May 2014, 20:30 PM

I said they CAN. that is obviously the only part you read so I'm not going to reply to you after this post, obviously, you are looking to fight.

weird, every time the mg42 shoots first it wins! usually happens when you move your maxim into the fire arc!
6 May 2014, 20:34 PM

Since you seem to attract fights very well. A maxim 'can' walk up and kill mg42's, apparently, the same way a PTRS can kill an elefant. Why would you let such a thing happen? Non-realistic scenario, unless the mg42 was facing a wall or the maxim could somehow flank... somehow at such close range. Of hundreds of mg battles, that only happens when the mg was being bloody useless.
6 May 2014, 20:36 PM

weird, every time the mg42 shoots first it wins! usually happens when you move your maxim into the fire arc!

Weird, because the mg has a bigger arc and more range, so it would already be firing at the maxim before the soviet can set up the gun.
6 May 2014, 20:38 PM

Weird, because the mg has a bigger arc and more range, so it would already be firing at the maxim before the soviet can set up the gun.

not sure if you didnt get the sarcasm or if you intend to keep the sarcasm going :o
6 May 2014, 20:44 PM

not sure if you didnt get the sarcasm or if you intend to keep the sarcasm going :o

Absolutely nothing wrong with the mg42 gun. I have never ever seen a german take a maxim, and every soviet player takes the mg42 when they have the chance. Silly arguments like these correctly revolve around German 4 man squads vs soviet 6 man squads. Extended weapons teams sizes have never existed before, so that is why it is an argument.
6 May 2014, 20:55 PM

If MG42 is that bad, why its biggest drawback is the possibility of ending up with soviets?
I don't see decrewed maxims being stolen right away. I haven't seen decrewed MG42 not being steal attempted.

My two cents

1. Soviets can reinforce MG42 up to six members
2. Grens dont have oorah so they cant flank it as well as soviets

So we end up with MG42 with six members and big arc vs grens that can't oorah or rifle nade it (well they can but you probalby need 3 of them and some luck)

If german end up with Maxim they dont benefit much except mobilty, still small squad size, smaller arc so it even makes easier for cons to flank it.
6 May 2014, 20:56 PM

The first hmg that starts shooting wins if they are in same type of cover. Mg42 is a good weapon in right hands. I always build one to cover grenadiers. If they get supressed, I press attack on maxim, mg42 deploys at max range, supresses the maxim amd grens then wait a couple of sec for supression to end and can walk straight up to maxim to kill it. Same works for soviets. While mg42 shoots at other squad, maxim can deploy in the firing arc of mg42 and supress it. If you dont want to always suffer from that then put you hmgs in cover. Pretty simple mechanics
7 May 2014, 04:46 AM

I have to agree, after playing Germans for a while recently, the MG42s suppression just isn't as good as the Maxims. Maxim spam still exists, and I can't count the number of times I've seen it recently. They are very hard to counter, not impossible of course, but very difficult.

I think the MG42 needs a decrease in setup time, I think it's at 3 seconds now and should be decreased to ~2.5 or so. I can't count the number of times a con squad just oorahs directly towards the mg42, tosses a molotov and you lose 2 units before you can even relocate the thing.
7 May 2014, 06:40 AM

I've yet to see a Maxim pin better than an MG42... I regularly watch grens survive 2 volleys of Maxim fire and not be suppressed at max range, whilst it takes only the second volley to pin at max range.

The molotov excuse for the MG42 is nonsense, Grens don't need to run toward a maxim when they can wipe out half the crew with a rifle nade.
7 May 2014, 07:29 AM

I have to agree, after playing Germans for a while recently, the MG42s suppression just isn't as good as the Maxims. Maxim spam still exists, and I can't count the number of times I've seen it recently. They are very hard to counter, not impossible of course, but very difficult.

They are not hard to counter. You just have to wait to see what the opposit team does and then pick the right doctrine. Against maxim/mortar spam, picking the wrong doctrine it's unforgiving. Once the maxim line is broken, their entire army will fall as a castle of cards. Saw that manny times.
7 May 2014, 07:36 AM

And scout cars. Many of them vs true maxim spammers.
7 May 2014, 07:37 AM

Both sides have counters to the other sides mg but at the same they have very few counters to their own mg. When im playing as a german i can only drool at the prospect of getting my hands on a maxim as most soviet mg42 counters simply do not work against a maxim, Had a hilarious game once where a soviet player complained that the mg42 was op while he was fighting a maxim i captured from him the whole time.

But currently its simply not viable to use the mg42. the soviets can so easily push the mg42 of the field its not worth getting it.
The Maxim has less problems with that and still can make an impact.

The maxim is fine the mg42 simply suppresses to slowly.
7 May 2014, 07:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 May 2014, 07:37 AMJaigen
Both sides have counters to the other sides mg but at the same they have very few counters to their own mg. When im playing as a german i can only drool at the prospect of getting my hands on a maxim as most soviet mg42 counters simply do not work against a maxim, Had a hilarious game once where a soviet player complained that the mg42 was op while he was fighting a maxim i captured from him the whole time.

But currently its simply not viable to use the mg42. the soviets can so easily push the mg42 of the field its not worth getting it.
The Maxim has less problems with that and still can make an impact.

The maxim is fine the mg42 simply suppresses to slowly.

Partially agree, but MG42 is still usable on narrow maps as Road to harkov for instance. You can cover pretty well the map in a 2v2 with your partner.
7 May 2014, 08:32 AM

Permanently Banned
Relic logic. I never buy MG42 now because they Oorah right passed the arc easily. Maxim suppresses insantly.
7 May 2014, 08:45 AM

Relic logic. I never buy MG42 now because they Oorah right passed the arc easily. Maxim suppresses insantly.

If the grass is greener for you on the other side play soviets, spam maxims and see how germans hand your ass back to you on a silver plate.
7 May 2014, 09:59 AM

If MG42 is that bad, why its biggest drawback is the possibility of ending up with soviets?
I don't see decrewed maxims being stolen right away. I haven't seen decrewed MG42 not being steal attempted.

Because for reasons only known to Relic, the soviet MG42 team spreads out like a boss, pretty much nullifying the effect of riflenades on it. With 6 members and not facing oorah it is pretty much impossible to remove it with just grens, unlike maxims. You're pretty much forced to go mortar/sniper/whatever against one instead if you don't have tacmove.

I do not think the MG42 is a bad weapon, but I think it's often too risky for germans especially on maps that aren't open. It's more valuable for the soviets than it is for the germans because german infantry units (except for assgrens) lack the tools to deal with them. There are also plenty of oneshot decrew risks for german MG42s now with the buffed barrages on ZiS/SU76 and buffed aoes on tanks.

I always recap maxims as germans (unless I already have several) because much like the MG42 is better against germans than soviets, I think the maxim is better against soviets than germans.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS