Login

russian armor

Poll: Why don't you participate in tournaments?

6 May 2014, 02:03 AM
Patrion 15

Maybe people in other parts of the world don't mind, but I think I speak for 90% of East coast Americans that have other things they could be doing in the middle of the day.

Wish I was as cool as you :blush:
6 May 2014, 03:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2014, 17:07 PMCieZ
Anyways, I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if you're playing video games to make $$$, you're doing it wrong - especially CoH 2. Maybe if you live in Korea and are freakishly talented naturally you could get into it for the money but other than that you should be playing for fun. If you don't have fun playing video games on the weekend then why do you have fun playing them during the week?

I don't play them for the money, I play them for fun. And for the reasons I mentioned earlier, tournaments aren't very fun (for me). So if I was going to play video games and not have fun in the process, the money would need to make it worth my while, and it doesn't. And I do play video games on the weekends, I just play them either periodically throughout the day, and/or late at night. Very rarely do I sit inside gaming for several consecutive hours in middle of the afternoon on a Saturday/Sunday, several things I would rather do instead.

Additionally when I'm playing games during the week, it means I'm not playing in a tournament, which means more gaming and less sitting around waiting. Maybe if a future tournament is late at night or really early in the morning, I could overlook the fact that they are boring (because of all the downtime). So if I played a tournament on a weekend afternoon I probably wouldn't enjoy myself, and on top of that I would miss out on the prime time of the week for doing something fun, so its a double whammy.
6 May 2014, 04:02 AM

Many of the tournaments are not at suitable time frames for me. Located over in Australia, I sometimes find it hard to find team mates who are also willing to stay up till 1:00 or later in the morning. :) Other than that, I'd be more than keen to play in the tournaments that I have the disposable time for.
6 May 2014, 06:53 AM

Tried my best to cater for different timezones, will be more flex cups in the future.

what more could I do on the promotion front? I've advertised on every major coh site, is there any thing else I could do?

If you're having that much difficulty open a ticket and ask the tournament admins for help or even send me an email or contact me on steam.

I appreciate the effort Ipkai, I've said in other threads that you're possibly the person doing the most for CoH2 in the community today.

Re:Timezones. I'm involved in the 2v2 flexicup, but even so when matched against opponents far away, eg. in Poland, there's very few times that cross-over for me and my partner. Even though we can arrange a time that suits, this usually means my partner has to get up at 5am to game or I have to stay up late etc.

Re: awareness of the tournaments. GR used to have a really good frontpage for CoH which got news out there. They have since changed it. But it used to have all the recent news in little boxes as the frontpage. CoH2 has that scroll bar thing at the top that dictates what you see, most the time I'm here I don't scan all the three word updates for more info. There are so many updates (6 in the last 11 days) and so few apply to me (world builder tip of the week etc) that I can't be bothered selecting each one to find out more. The coh2.org site itself is generally hard to navigate I find and so I often find myself just clicking the top 5 threads in the bottom corner. I hope people don't take this as any sort of attack on the site, just constructive criticism and why I find I don't know about many events - even patch notes when they come around.

Re: Difficulty of process. I appreciate the offer. I'm sure there is a reason for it (breaking new ground on the esports front?), but it seems that tournaments are a lot more complicated of a processes than in the past. In the past, you'd sign up on your fansight - eg. GR, then they release the brackets and at the time of play you message the person and game. It's possible the problem is that I don't play in enough tournaments to get familiar with the modern processes.

6 May 2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the reply, that's something we can work on :).
We take everything in regard and see what we can do.
The timezones are indeed a problem in such a 'small' community.
6 May 2014, 08:13 AM

I'm just not good enough.
My team mate and me have a hard time staying below 2.000 on the ranking.
6 May 2014, 08:36 AM

Maybe it would be better to wait for Western fronts to come out and an influx of new players to start concentrating on 1-2 big tournaments? Pooling all the resources together into 1 big tournament is imo better than having lots of smaller tournaments. But by then I suppose the meta would have changed drastically and tournaments wouldn't be a representation of skill :/ But I would like to see some 1v1s and especailly 2v2s with the new armies :)
6 May 2014, 09:02 AM

Let's all hope the WF don't fuck up the current balance.
4 armies, hell of a balancing to do.
6 May 2014, 09:23 AM

I have one simple reason, I just don't have time/cannot participate during weekends. 80% weekends I spend on other city and there I only have below average laptop (it runs CoH2 but the micro isn't nearly as good as with my own desktop).

That's why I enjoy the format of flex cups. Also my mate is working three-shift work so sometimes it's difficult to arrange a lot of time for both.

But during week after work is my primarily time to play.. usually quite a lot. :)

Maybe if I would buy better laptop or another above average desktop I would solve this problem..
6 May 2014, 10:51 AM

I would like to become more involved with the community including tourneys, which would boost my game a bunch.

But I spend most of my evenings with the GF, and work 40% of weekends and the rest Im out mountain biking.

So most of my CoH is done during the day when Im not working. So im pretty much stuck as a casual gamer.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 69

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight