Login

russian armor

Poll: Why don't you participate in tournaments?

4 May 2014, 23:40 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2014, 18:56 PMSpanky
The game isn't competitive enough, i'll bring you an example: vCoH = 1v1/2v2 , CoH2 = 3v3/4v4

Sense. This makes none.
5 May 2014, 07:10 AM

Don't have time. Unfortunatelly.
5 May 2014, 07:33 AM

3v3/4v4?
This makes no sense as IpKai says.
5 May 2014, 07:40 AM
Patrion 14

This is CoH2.org. Very little makes sense.
5 May 2014, 08:43 AM

Because they are played on weekends and I can't assure my disponibility.
5 May 2014, 11:36 AM

Permanently Banned

Sense. This makes none.

IpKai went into Yoda. Anyway I agree with Spanky, then competetive game died somewhere around beta,and if the most of the top100 pl from coh1 wont come to play coh2, this game never will be. I have hopes for new expansion.
5 May 2014, 12:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2014, 11:36 AMakosi
IpKai went into Yoda. Anyway I agree with Spanky, then competetive game died somewhere around beta,and if the most of the top100 pl from coh1 wont come to play coh2, this game never will be. I have hopes for new expansion.

They never will for the same reason some people refuse to move to CSGO, it's not CS 1.6 / CSS, so they refuse. Some people won't come because the UI is different, they don't like the new resource and unit bars so they won't play. One guy told me he didn't like the game because Conscripts vs Shock Troops looked the same and Conscripts vs Penals had similar icons. I tried to ask how that was different from Panzer Grenadiers / Assault Grenadiers / Tank Busters, or Riflemen / Tommies, but he just kept going on "It's not the same!". These people are just too stubborn to play the new game, they'll refuse unless CoH2 gets a patch with the notes "Converted entire game to CoH1".

It's the level man. I'm experienced enough to observe and understand the mistakes of good players, but in practice I will lose consistently to mediocre players using mediocre strategies.

Pretty much this. My micro is okay, my macro is awful, and my reaction time is painfully slow. If I hear "Grenade" and it's a satchel, chances are it'll blow up before I can find out who's yelling, where they are, click on them, and click for them to move somewhere else. I also have no idea how to beat blobbing in the long run, every time you retreat it with an MG it'll just come back bigger, and soon the MG won't be able to make it retreat any longer, and the game is over. Overall I'm just kinda bad and by the time I'm thinking I almost have enough fuel to consider T3, the first enemy tank is rolling through my lines. I've love to participate and help the scene, but I'm just not quite on the level.
5 May 2014, 13:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2014, 11:36 AMakosi

[...] and if the most of the top100 pl from coh1 wont come to play coh2, this game never will be. I have hopes for new expansion.

Actually I'd say it's a sign of failure if pretty much the whole competitive scene from one game moves on to the next one, because that shows little overall progress. Any change will have people who dislike it. Look at the forums. You will find people complaining about the new sniper mechanics (cloaking just in cover, normal movespeed). You have people complaining about the fact you can reinforce multiple squads at once instead of reinforcing everyone single (because it requires less skill). You have people complaining that the factions are too similar, you have people complaining they are not similar enough (compared to each other and to vCoH).
In most of such games the people who actually move on to the successor and stick with it are rather low. Look at CS, look at SC, look at supcom, look at so many other games. Just because the vCoH competitive scene in parts does not play CoH2 does not mean there cannot be a competitive scene in Coh2 is laughable.

The monetary incentive usually isn't high enough to spend most the weekend inside on the computer. I could just work those days instead and make a similar amount of money, and I'm guaranteed that just for showing up.

Wasn't there once a time you played computer games for fun? I remember tournaments were a place where you battled each other for fame and bragging rights.
There is literally no game where you make more money playing it's tournaments than working. The winners of the International (DotA 2 tournament) and of several SC2 tournaments once posted their tournament wins and the time they spend to train/prepare as well as expenses (flights / hotels etc) and in the end they had an income/hour of a minimum wage job. The bigger the scene, the higher the prizes, the bigger the need for preparation - so the this income/hour is pretty much the same.
5 May 2014, 13:16 PM

I also don't need monetary prizes for normal tournaments.
I'm happy with a medal / trophy / ...
I am talking about the tourneys for regular lpayers, the ones for pro's can have big prizes ofcours :)
5 May 2014, 13:33 PM

Most people, including myself, don't participate in tournaments, because you need to schedule it at awkward times. I am surprised to see that was not part of the standard answers to the poll question.
5 May 2014, 14:38 PM

Wasn't there once a time you played computer games for fun? I remember tournaments were a place where you battled each other for fame and bragging rights.
There is literally no game where you make more money playing it's tournaments than working. The winners of the International (DotA 2 tournament) and of several SC2 tournaments once posted their tournament wins and the time they spend to train/prepare as well as expenses (flights / hotels etc) and in the end they had an income/hour of a minimum wage job. The bigger the scene, the higher the prizes, the bigger the need for preparation - so the this income/hour is pretty much the same.

Because playing tournaments isn't fun. The goal is to win and therefore spend the majority of Saturday afternoon (and possibly Sunday) inside. Half of that time is playing and half of it is either sitting around waiting to advance rounds through the forums, waiting for late or no-shows, waiting for someone to sort out some technical difficulty they have, or waiting for your next opponents to finish their round. And when you are playing its extremely stressful when you can be playing just as well as your opponent but RNG can decide games and made your whole afternoon a huge waste of time. There are 50 more enjoyable ways to spend a weekend.
5 May 2014, 14:40 PM

I voted other because I am a full time college student and do not have time to climb the ladder/ refine my skills as I would like too. This summer I hope to pick up tournaments though
5 May 2014, 14:44 PM

Because playing tournaments isn't fun.

Because I find playing tournaments isn't fun. *
There is a difference in what you think and what others, think about that ;)

Most people, including myself, don't participate in tournaments, because you need to schedule it at awkward times. I am surprised to see that was not part of the standard answers to the poll question.

I find it funny that you talk for 'most people'.
You talked with most people here at COH2.org?
5 May 2014, 16:29 PM

Sense. This makes none.

Speaking in riddles. Or waffles.

It is part of the je ne sais quoi of the COH2.org. Or the flame pioneers, ask a noob though, your CPM is too high.

5 May 2014, 16:45 PM

Because I find playing tournaments isn't fun. *
There is a difference in what you think and what others, think about that ;)

Maybe people in other parts of the world don't mind, but I think I speak for 90% of East coast Americans that have other things they could be doing in the middle of the day.
5 May 2014, 16:47 PM

Maybe people in other parts of the world don't mind, but I think I speak for 90% of East coast Americans that have other things they could be doing in the middle of the day.

Wow, you speak for so many guys.
Nice dude!!
5 May 2014, 16:50 PM
Patrion 14

Keep it nice here guys.
Bas, you don't speak for 90% pct of the east coast. Kreatirr, he might have better stuff to do in the middle of his day. Keep it at that.
5 May 2014, 17:03 PM

I find it funny that you talk for 'most people'.
You talked with most people here at COH2.org?

Apart from the meme, which gave a lot of relevant weight to your statement, these kind of polls have shown that scheduling problems are an issue for players. Besides, common sense dictates this.
5 May 2014, 17:07 PM

I'm 25, married with a full time job and yet I still find it fun to participate in tournaments even with no monetary prize. It is a lot of time to commit and I really appreciate that my wife lets me spend my weekend playing video games (well she understands that once the kids come GGWP video games).

Anyways, I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if you're playing video games to make $$$, you're doing it wrong - especially CoH 2. Maybe if you live in Korea and are freakishly talented naturally you could get into it for the money but other than that you should be playing for fun. If you don't have fun playing video games on the weekend then why do you have fun playing them during the week?
5 May 2014, 23:49 PM

There are 50 more enjoyable ways to spend a weekend.

Like being on a forum and posting about a game that one does not enjoy to play? D:

People tend to play videogames to have fun. The majority of tournaments and games in the ESL is without prizes or with only small ones (Premium or such), still that league is running for 15 years plus with growing numbers of participation. In the beginning most tournaments / leagues have only tournaments with fame as prize, because where should the money come from? Advertising is pretty much the only way to make money. Be it the Devs trying to push their own game, sponsorship by hardware companies or plain old ads, that's the only stream of money. Yet why would a company sponsor a game without an active e-Sports scene? Usually first there's no/small prize tournaments, these attract attention and sponsorship and then cause increased interest. Only in recent years this 'kickstarting' a scene was done by developers and companies, putting a lot of money into a game to quickly grow the scene and prevent this slow start. Look at DotA2 or Hearthstone. Yet with such a small and niche game as CoH2? The only way to grow is by having a lot of tournaments / activity.

If people do not like the scheduling, then I guess there are sufficient ways to get rid of that. Set a fixed date, but allow playing earlier if both players agree. Or give 5 playdays/times per week and every player has to select 3 of them. CoH2 simply tends to have too small scenes in every country that local tournaments are too small, but international create problems with the timezones :[ I blame the sun. Would it be shining from all sides but going brighter and darker like a dimmed light we wouldn't have that problem. #EffTheSun
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 104

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight