Login

russian armor

The COH2 Mega Map Poll

11 Mar 2014, 05:42 AM

Langres.. Brrrrh, basically a long-range spamfest over the middle. Perfect for the lovers of Scheldt. I hate that map with a passion as of lately. No flanking, just straight up massacre.
11 Mar 2014, 07:51 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Are not Pripyat, Lazur and Don river maps.
Probably the survey should be realized again.

Thanks.
11 Mar 2014, 14:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2014, 07:51 AMcapiqua

Thanks.

What??
11 Mar 2014, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2014, 07:51 AMcapiqua

Thanks.

They're not in the automatch rotation. Ergo they're not in the polls.
12 Mar 2014, 04:08 AM
Honorary Member Badge

damn it voted for the wrong one i meant to vote for kolodny oh well.
15 Mar 2014, 13:10 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Thanks very much to those of you that took the time to vote in this poll! Keep the votes coming!

Here are some of my impressions from the results. Feel free to confirm or deny them!

• The top 3 favorite 1v1 maps are Langreskaya, Kholodny Ferma, and Crossing in the Woods. They are small, spring weather maps with good cut-offs and good flow. I'm impressed that the new community map (Crossing) fared so well as it has only been in the rotation for a few weeks, but that may be due to bias as it was created by our very own OnkelSam :wub:. We need more where that came from!

• People really don't like Langreskaya Winter. I would venture to say that it is primarily because there is too much deep snow that impedes infantry movement. So much deep snow combined with blizzards makes for bad flow and uninteresting gameplay.

• Other generally disliked 1v1 maps are Minsk Pocket and Road to Kharkov, probably because they don't facilitate the spirit of good COH gameplay. Minsk probably because it's long and narrow with lanes that make it look like it should be a League of Legends map, and Kharkov because it's jam packed with buildings (a la St.Mere du Mont) which make vehicle pathing a nightmare and force infantry tactics to do less with positioning and more with abilities and support units.

• Preferred 2v2 maps are Rails and Metal and Moscow Outskirts. Both are summer maps of an appropriate size with great sector layouts and great flow. Action can happen all over the map. Cut-offs are difficult but possible. Great maps! I'd love to see more maps like these join the pool.

• Oka River is the goat of the 2v2 pool - it's just too big for 2v2 and the winter mechanics make it far too slow.

• Rzhev gets mixed feelings from players, but the poll shows that even though it is not in the 3v3 rotation, it is the favored 3v3 map. Perhaps it could get a slight balance make-over (as did Langreskaya), but regardless, it should be returned to the 3v3 automatch pool.

• 4v4 preferred map is Steppes, which is a great compliment to Relic, who managed to nail a big, fun, playable map on the "first try" as Steppes is one of COH2's release maps. Steppes has good flow and diverse and interesting terrain, and importantly, not too many buildings.

• Disliked 4v4 maps are Hill 331 (too slow) and Faceoff at Rostov (strange sector layout and crammed with buildings and chokes).

Is that a good overview of the results?
15 Mar 2014, 22:52 PM

Here's my opinion on the matter:

- Langres and RnM are the two best maps IMO (for 1v1 and 2v2 respectively).
- Semois and Moscow Outskirts come close second
- Kholodniy Ferma has most of what it takes to be a nice map, but some design choices in the northern part (huuuge fence, weird hill you cannot shoot from etc.) ruin it for me. Also, the name makes no sense (Argh! ;))
- Minsk Pocket and Road to Kharkov feel really unfinished/badly designed.
- Rzhev and Oka - why are those maps even in rotation?
- Who thought that making Semois a 2v2 map would be a good idea? O_O
- I don't play 3v3 and 4v4 at all

On an unrelated note, to be honest, i hate winter mechanics with fiery passion :( They slow down the gameplay, become essensially a micro sink and generally seem extremely gimmicky. Langreskaya winter is, i think, an awesome example of how that stuff can ruin a perfectly fine map.

Also, i've unticked the Crossing in the Woods after a couple of 1v1s. The water seems unnecessary and the map reminds me too much of the stretched-out Beaux Lowlands (one of my permanent unticks from vCoH. Although the design seems decent :)
16 Mar 2014, 08:10 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

I hope someone from relic see all these comments and fix the maps
16 Mar 2014, 09:37 AM

Thanks very much to those of you that took the time to vote in this poll! Keep the votes coming!

I think its fair assessment Ami :thumb:
Only Relic postRelic 22 Mar 2014, 06:12 AM
Developer Relic Badge

First off, a big thanks to everyone who voted and to organizing this thread. It's great to get isolated feedback on the maps. We've been able to pull telemetry from the map vetoes to get a sense of what maps people like and dislike. so as a direct result from this poll and the data we've collected I can mention a few things.

Oka River will be removed from 2v2 automatch
Langres Winter will be removed from 1v1 automatch
Rzhev might return after a proper assessment
Cold tech and winter map design will be re-evaluated on future maps

keep the polls coming!!!

22 Mar 2014, 06:31 AM

First off, a big thanks to everyone who voted and to organizing this thread. It's great to get isolated feedback on the maps. We've been able to pull telemetry from the map vetoes to get a sense of what maps people like and dislike. so as a direct result from this poll and the data we've collected I can mention a few things.

Cold tech and winter map design we'll be re-evaluated on future maps

keep the polls coming!!!

Thanks for listening. Keep up the good work. :)
22 Mar 2014, 09:25 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Thanks Eagle! :D
22 Mar 2014, 09:40 AM

Nice poll, good work.

Rzhev winter is much more fun than summer version, the ice is important for providing a bit more mobility, all be it at the increased risk of crossing under fire. I think its one of the best ice maps in terms of risk/reward for using it.

On a lot of the other winter maps ice can seem slightly redundant. Like on Rostov, hardly anyone ventures into the large expanse of ice.. as its kind of a flank to nowhere. Maybe if the island was more to the side, with the open expanse of ice where the island currently is.. it would be more of a focal point. Could possibly make the island feel isolated, which Im not sure if that would be good or not.
22 Mar 2014, 18:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Confession bear: i somehow like Oka River :( Would love to see a smaller version though.

24 Mar 2014, 08:18 AM
Patrion 15

Here are some general thoughts:

- Really enjoy Langres summer, but share the dislike for all of the deep snow in the winter version. It makes for really frustrating gameplay as soviets.

-Rzhev is my favorite 3v3 map, both in winter and summer. I really like how the ice changes the map. It makes the choke points less dramatic and allow for some great maneuvers on the ice that have me on the edge of my seat at times. This is the best use of ice out of all the maps IMO.

-Oka River feels much to sectioned off in a 2v2. 2v2 maps should encourage diverse unit compositions and synergy. It Makes for a less than stellar 3v3 map, but is a little bit more tolerable in this format. It is extremely long and narrow, but the sightlines make it awkward to position units that take advantage of their long range. This coupled with the awkward building placement and generally cramped feel make it a nightmare to micro non-turreted tanks. I feel like this map has potential but needs a rework.

-Not a huge fan of semois in 2v2s. Too crowded.
24 Mar 2014, 09:10 AM

Cold tech and winter map design will be re-evaluated on future maps

keep the polls coming!!!

If Langres winter can get passive snow (no blizzard) and have less deep snow which is annoying hen I'm fine with this map
24 Mar 2014, 09:15 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Remove coh2 maps, this would produce monotony. I hope to return the reworked maps
25 Mar 2014, 01:09 AM

Relic please stop removing maps! we can veto them if we don't like them.. just my opinion. anyone else agree?
26 May 2014, 12:00 PM

IMO, Pripyat winter is a nice map for 1v1, why it was removed?
26 May 2014, 12:04 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Because your opinion is not shared. Pripyat sector layout is imba and the river through the middle is bad for harassment and encourages campy and often boring games.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 14
United States 3
unknown 2
United States 12

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %