Login

russian armor

How to deal with maxims?

20 Feb 2014, 22:11 PM

I find it really problematic to deal with maxims these days. Tried the entire tier 1 and 2 of the Germans and nothing seem to work. Flanking doesn't work because of the maxims very fast turn speed. snipers takes to long. mortars simply takes a while and since the maxim is easy to pack up it simply moves away. Flammen HT is an incredibly risky investment as on at nade + maxims will kill it not to mention of their are guards nearby. anybody has any ideas?
20 Feb 2014, 22:14 PM

Riflenade to the face wins every time.

G43s or LMGs tear through them also because of the increased damage.

Mortar halftrack is a safe bet if you see a T2 opening because it's effective against everything.
20 Feb 2014, 22:15 PM

OMG are you kidding? germans mortar are very accurate, besides the arc of the maxim its very tiny, you can flank it so easily
20 Feb 2014, 23:07 PM

Permanently Banned
1 mortal will do it, or MHT in 2v2.
20 Feb 2014, 23:17 PM

German mortar is a piece of crap.
20 Feb 2014, 23:19 PM

Permanently Banned
Rifle Grenade.

edit to not seem like dick: aim for the crew hiding in the foxhole behind the gun, not the gunner.

/thread
21 Feb 2014, 01:25 AM

i have no idea what to say to this. It's like someone saying a dog says meow.
21 Feb 2014, 08:27 AM

Ideally flanking would work, but the fast turn rate, and the fact that Soviets can use maxims as infantry, meaning more will be present, makes flanking less effective. Some suggests mortars, but as maxims work pretty well offensively as well I dont see that doing much good. Maxims arent static area defense weapons like MG42s, and seems to be in kind of an identity crisis. Flamehalftrack is risky too, as the natural next step in maximspam is to bring up a zis, from the same building. My best advice would be to contain him as well as possible and cap arround untill you have pgrens or mggrens. Maxims are voulnerable by themselves.
21 Feb 2014, 08:34 AM

You obviously never used soviet one before vet1.

German turbomortar is enough to fight of all maxims you need, but moving in with MG42 in at least yellow cover and flanking with gren is also a 100% working solution for me(I use mg, gren, mg , gren, gren opening).
21 Feb 2014, 13:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 08:34 AMKatitof

You obviously never used soviet one before vet1.

German turbomortar is enough to fight of all maxims you need, but moving in with MG42 in at least yellow cover and flanking with gren is also a 100% working solution for me(I use mg, gren, mg , gren, gren opening).

And then another maxim shuts down the gren squad. it becomes obvious the Germans have very little to counteract to maxim spam that are supported by guards.
21 Feb 2014, 14:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 13:04 PMJaigen

And then another maxim shuts down the gren squad. it becomes obvious the Germans have very little to counteract to maxim spam that are supported by guards.

So if soviet concentrated all his force in one point of the map, why don't you cap the rest of it?
21 Feb 2014, 14:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 14:03 PMKatitof

So if soviet concentrated all his force in one point of the map, why don't you cap the rest of it?

You wouldnt know beforehand that he has two units centered at that point, and by the time you realise this you have already comitted your MG42 and grens, both ultimately forced to retreat.
21 Feb 2014, 14:55 PM

You wouldnt know beforehand that he has two units centered at that point, and by the time you realise this you have already comitted your MG42 and grens, both ultimately forced to retreat.

So get a reckon first.
2v2 units, better positioned ones win in this case.

You know you're going against maxims, so I assumed you know where they are.
Don't you think its rather hard to counter something if you don't know where and what is where you're going?
21 Feb 2014, 15:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 14:55 PMKatitof

So get a reckon first.
2v2 units, better positioned ones win in this case.

You know you're going against maxims, so I assumed you know where they are.
Don't you think its rather hard to counter something if you don't know where and what is where you're going?

That kind of is the point. Maxims arennt simply static secondline antiinfantry MGs like the MG42 but they work pretty well as infantry as well, and given mutual support can pretty much handle any kind of infantry in equal numbers. You cant 'just recon' and still think you would maintain any kind of superiority. Thats why they are extremely hard to counter early on, because they have no obvious weaknes, except for vehicles. Given you can field Zis from the same building and cons from T0 there simply is no textbook solution to this apporach, as you make it out to be.

Its no autowin, but its a tactic that require more skill to counter than to pull of, in my experience og using it.
21 Feb 2014, 15:08 PM

This sounds to me like you want the maxim as easy to kill as a molod MG42?

As it stands Maxim spam is a gimmick and easily out played. They are designed to be an assault squad which is why they have such a small arc and high turn rate.

If you start using multiple maxims you will need to get one for each German squad you are facing or they will be flanked. And if you have THAT many Maxims your asking to have a Scout Car kite your units or a Flametrack melt them.

Last time i checked a Zis gun will NOT one shot a Flametrack. It will hit it to which you respond....reverse. In the meantime you will have causes a horrible bleed on the Maxim blob.

Also it takes actual micro to suppress more than one unit with them. Rather than woops your both next to each other in my arc! SUPPRESS!
21 Feb 2014, 18:00 PM

This sounds to me like you want the maxim as easy to kill as a molod MG42?

As it stands Maxim spam is a gimmick and easily out played. They are designed to be an assault squad which is why they have such a small arc and high turn rate.

If you start using multiple maxims you will need to get one for each German squad you are facing or they will be flanked. And if you have THAT many Maxims your asking to have a Scout Car kite your units or a Flametrack melt them.

Last time i checked a Zis gun will NOT one shot a Flametrack. It will hit it to which you respond....reverse. In the meantime you will have causes a horrible bleed on the Maxim blob.

Also it takes actual micro to suppress more than one unit with them. Rather than woops your both next to each other in my arc! SUPPRESS!

Incorrect. small arc or not their are plenty of cut of points and choke points that allows the maxim to handle multiple gren squads. second even if you need a maxim to deal with each gren squad its still a massive win for the soviets as you will win nearly every engagement. and as said before try using a flammen HT and the guards will deal with it easily. and by default it is a serious balance issue that an unit that's extremely expensive early game is your only counter. and wth are you talking about bleed mate? maxims cost 15 mp to reinforce. one of the main reasons snipers dont do much damage at all.

And shouldn't the maxim be easily countered as the mg42? after all the cost the same.
21 Feb 2014, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 18:00 PMJaigen

Incorrect. small arc or not their are plenty of cut of points and choke points that allows the maxim to handle multiple gren squads. second even if you need a maxim to deal with each gren squad its still a massive win for the soviets as you will win nearly every engagement. and as said before try using a flammen HT and the guards will deal with it easily. and by default it is a serious balance issue that an unit that's extremely expensive early game is your only counter. and wth are you talking about bleed mate? maxims cost 15 mp to reinforce. one of the main reasons snipers dont do much damage at all.

And shouldn't the maxim be easily countered as the mg42? after all the cost the same.

First off maxims cost more than 15 to reinforce.

Otherwise mortars work, mortar ht in particular is super effective. So mortars if they have guards, otherwise fht or you can put your grens in the ht and drive thru their lines. Scout cars can also be effective to a degree but only in certain situations.
21 Feb 2014, 19:58 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 19:21 PMWilliG

First off maxims cost more than 15 to reinforce.

Otherwise mortars work, mortar ht in particular is super effective. So mortars if they have guards, otherwise fht or you can put your grens in the ht and drive thru their lines. Scout cars can also be effective to a degree but only in certain situations.

the original weapon crew with mosins that do 7 dmg per shot, their reinforcement is 15mp, and if you re-crew it with conscripts you get 16dmg mosins and 20mp reinforcement cost
21 Feb 2014, 20:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 18:00 PMJaigen

Constant hit/run and squad whipes cause a bleed. If you are having problems countering maxims with a FHT I really dont know what to tell you.

I personally like the Scout car too because its sight range means Guards and Zis are going to have alot harder time sneaking up on it.

Fragile or not proper use of a SC can really be a huge PITA for Soviet T2. And when I say Proper I mean attacking where they are weak not where they are strong.

Also Mortors do the trick nicely as noted above.

Maxim spam is very very easy to beat with a little bit of Micro. Just as easy as MG42 spam. Can you spam Attack Move against it? No.
22 Feb 2014, 11:44 AM

Constant hit/run and squad whipes cause a bleed. If you are having problems countering maxims with a FHT I really dont know what to tell you.

I will say t you however that this strat doest work if any their are any guards out their. and one mine can really ruin your day. once again your suggestion is to take a very expensive fragile unit to counter a something that is incredibly cheap.

I personally like the Scout car too because its sight range means Guards and Zis are going to have alot harder time sneaking up on it.

doesn't the scout only get extra sight when you vet it up?

Fragile or not proper use of a SC can really be a huge PITA for Soviet T2. And when I say Proper I mean attacking where they are weak not where they are strong.

Your still relying on an extremely fragile unit. one mistake and you lost a lot of fuel.

Also Mortors do the trick nicely as noted above.

if the RNG god works for you then yes. but its far from a reliable counter

Maxim spam is very very easy to beat with a little bit of Micro. Just as easy as MG42 spam. Can you spam Attack Move against it? No.

I disagree the germans dont have the tools to remove mg's like the soviets do. lack of hoorah scout car and molotovs leaves them only with g43 as a suitable counter.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★