Login

russian armor

Favourite Theater of War Mission

5 Feb 2014, 12:10 PM

set it in japan!
add US!

also, that mission where you have to snipe the commissars was extremely fun
5 Feb 2014, 13:41 PM

I found early ToW maps to be extremely boring. They generally gave you a twist on a mutliplayer map (i.e., try to beat this strat). The ones that were truly unique were more interesting. I found missions to be tedious, move sniper here, kill one man, pull back, move up, kill one man, etc.

However, Brody tank war was very good (I have played it multiple times now with and without friends). It allows a battle I cannot have in any other mode, and with a friend. The defense maps are ok, but boring without an additional player. If the defense maps could be 2vX or 3vX they would be more interesting.

I also think the early ToW suffered from very poor balance. It is really not very fun to go against 3 KV-1's with no anti armor unit (except for a pak). Even the most recent ToW still has serious balance issues that detract from the game (still can't use PG's). I understand trying to make the flavor of the time, but you have already violated that with numerous commanders who deploy units before they were built (Pak 43) and of course the Mg42! It's right there in the name. One of the most annoying things for me is the huge differences in unit stats from other modes, which makes it very hard to predict encounters in ToW. Take the elite challenge in the newest ToW for Ost. In that map if you play on easy difficulty T70's take 4 penetrating shots from the Stug H to die. Why?

vCOH campaign missions that stood out to me were ones were I felt like I was attempting to take a real objective, and that things were uncertain. Even if I did take the objective later almost anything could happen. I was required to build defense, clutter roads, and make the terrain support my much weaker forces.

For ToW I would try to do things that cannot be replicated in multiplayer. The newest ToW with unusual starts (e.g., all points capped for one side or the other) was interesting and entertained me, but did not convince anyone I knew on my friends list to buy them. You might also consider giving unique abilities or units in ToW to make the missions feel more unique. The Tiger challenge was ok, but was not very replayable once you beat it. What is the point in grinding back through to blow up some heavies? You could also try to help people unlike bulletins by providing situations where bulletins that are hard or impossible to complete elsewhere are finished here. This is where I got "With extreme difficult".

ToW is VP focused (obvious but I need to say it). Many campaign players and comp stompers prefer annihilation because it takes longer. VP's are a complete turn off to them since they want to build a lot of big tanks and duke it out toe to toe. I find these games boring, but would say annihilation is still missing from ToW and would be an interesting addition if intelligent players could make interesting strikes on the base to win (i.e., no more Pripyat marsh maps where one choke point is present). Winter is also not interesting to many of the more single player focused individuals I have talked to since they feel that it is very, very tedious. They tend to not be as interested in micromanaging every little group. They want to use large attack groups. It also completely stops the comp because it won't attack in a blizzard. So frequently you are left sitting around at campfires doing nothing for 3 minutes until the blizzard passes. Not really that much fun. I also find winter very annoying, and the site reduction as the only real portion I like. None of the ToW missions are connected, a win in one does nothing to the overall story. Therefore, they all feel very disconnected and unimportant. It would be best if they could be weaved together to develop a more important element. Maybe give you command of a division as it is destroyed on the Eastern front for Ost, and potentially a command of a group of Soviets as they move from small skirmishes to heavy front line battles. Small tedious detail, please don't lecture me about WWII if you are going to make me watch my tanks blow up because they won't move since I no longer have control. Either end the game and lecture me, or let me control my tanks until the game actually ends. Overall maps of the front actually changing with different battles would help to weave the history lesson in. I have a fair bit of historical knowledge about many of these battles and I find it very hard to place everything without maps.

That is all for now Noun, thanks for asking. I would be happy to weigh in on similar topics in the future if you feel it is worthwhile. This should count towards my dissertation.
5 Feb 2014, 16:45 PM

i really enjoyed the spring rasputitsa. It made an nice use of the mud mechanic
6 Feb 2014, 01:04 AM

My favourite is Occupation from Southern Fronts

It reminded me of the two Carentan missions from the Normandy campaign in vCoH but in a smaller package. These were the missions that kept me coming back to those campaigns; Carentan, the Hill, and the Falaise Pocket were great(among others).

I'm not such a fan of the Ai battles, skirmish ai is a nuissance to chase around recapping.
6 Feb 2014, 02:08 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I enjoyed the mission where you and a teammate played as the Ostheer and worked together to encircle the soviets.

This has probably already been said before but I will say it anyway. Imagine if these TOW missions were entirely multiplayer. It would be cool having multiplayer battles with different games modes apart from the standard games you get in automatch.
6 Feb 2014, 21:32 PM

This has probably already been said before but I will say it anyway. Imagine if these TOW missions were entirely multiplayer. It would be cool having multiplayer battles with different games modes apart from the standard games you get in automatch.

Agreed, I'd probably buy every ToW mission pack then, even if those multiplayer-missions werent completely balanced
6 Feb 2014, 21:53 PM
Patrion 14

Can I just say Imageless Bean is absolutely correct. As a player who has played and enjoyed virtually every permutation of CoH over the years, from 1 v 1 auto to 4 v 4 stomps he's hit the nail on the head about how a lot of casual gamers feel.
6 Feb 2014, 23:03 PM

Permanently Banned
do you know what really grinds my gear? when singleplayer or multiplayer maps are the new ToW missions.
6 Feb 2014, 23:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 23:03 PMakosi
do you know what really grinds my gear? when singleplayer or multiplayer maps are the new ToW missions.

Umm, its the other way around.
TOW maps are coming to MP.
7 Feb 2014, 01:03 AM

Permanently Banned

Umm, its the other way around.
TOW maps are coming to MP.

that is OK, but just see the ToW41....
7 Feb 2014, 01:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 23:03 PMakosi

it would be awesome if we could see more maps from tow in the multiplayer.
7 Feb 2014, 01:54 AM

Tow, more important than any rts standard ever.
7 Feb 2014, 11:46 AM

Assault on Voronezh with the Infantry player using Assault Grenadiers and the Armoured player using Elite Troops was amazing. Without those it was infuriating, but Vet 2 AG's made taking the city much less rage inducing.
7 Feb 2014, 12:06 PM

Assault on Voronezh with the Infantry player using Assault Grenadiers and the Armoured player using Elite Troops was amazing. Without those it was infuriating, but Vet 2 AG's made taking the city much less rage inducing.

Yea, that mission was awesome.
I also liked partisan bridge defense one.
7 Feb 2014, 12:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge

if the ai was better id probabaly welcome them in with open arms.
7 Feb 2014, 14:28 PM

I enjoyed the mission where you and a teammate played as the Ostheer and worked together to encircle the soviets.

+ 1

Imo the coop and solo challanges were the best ones.
AI battles are good, but I can play vs CPU anytime without ToWs.

Anyway, the ToWs should be harder and each year's army/tactics should be different from eachother (Pz III anyone?)
Seb
7 Feb 2014, 14:45 PM
Admin Black Badge

Driving a Tiger
7 Feb 2014, 19:26 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Feb 2014, 14:45 PMSeb
Driving a Tiger

+1, too bad it wasn't playable in coop :P
8 Feb 2014, 00:36 AM

Yeah Tiger Ace was fantastic. I'd love more like that, like Panther Ace, or IS-2 Ace :D
8 Feb 2014, 05:23 AM

Favourite:

Occupation - this is a nice mission because its fun defending the castle/forte and also to win control of the castle at mission beginning.

Kalach Pincer - this is great because its really well paced with the final push for the bridge territory.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS