Login

russian armor

Prima Official Strat Guide Review?

6 Jan 2014, 20:08 PM

Has anyone bought this Prima e-guide that can comment on the quality of the information given? I see that there are several interviews with the game makers and multiplayer strategies, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it at this price for a person who has played 600 hours of the game already. The unit tables and multiplayer strategy and tactics discussion are the sections of primary interest for me. Given that there is no real manual and a lack of in-game information and quality guides about the game mechanics, it seems like it could be worthwhile.

http://www.primagames.com/games/company-heroes-2/primaguides/637
6 Jan 2014, 20:25 PM

Waste of money I would say. You can get all that information your self.

If you want to get better try to play 1v1. Watch your replays and study your mistakes. Also you can upload replays and people can give you pointers and advice's.

Spending $10 on some guide is not worth it.
6 Jan 2014, 20:37 PM
Donator 11

check replays, guides on here, streams and ask questions on the streams or forums
6 Jan 2014, 21:17 PM
Coder Red Badge

Posted this on Reddit, will repost here...

Golraeder wrote it I believe, and he was an old-school top vCoH player. He also reached out to a lot of good vCoH players who were playing CoH2 during the alpha/beta and tried to get them to contribute. I was busy and couldn't help unfortunately, so I can't comment on the quality and quantity of the help he received, but he was definitely trying to make the guide a resource for players interested in exploring the competitive side of things.

That said, regardless of Golraeder's caliber as a player, Prima guides generally don't give much to someone who's interested primarily in multiplayer. Multiplayer games evolve so quickly and drastically that online communities are a far superior resource most of the time. Discussions and guides here are more than sufficient if you already have basic knowledge.

I do know, however, that Prima bought the rights to the code for the CoH2 Stats website. Don't know if they've done anything yet, but it seems obvious that they plan on integrating it into some sort of online portal for the game. Could be another reason to give it a shot.
6 Jan 2014, 22:01 PM

I do know, however, that Prima bought the rights to the code for the CoH2 Stats website. Don't know if they've done anything yet, but it seems obvious that they plan on integrating it into some sort of online portal for the game. Could be another reason to give it a shot.

i think prima may have issues with that. it worked at one point, but relic is adding new stats (such as mid range and penetration modifiers), so theyre going to have to modify the code. if i remember correctly, that site never had anything like dps numbers either. raw stats wont really mean much to most people. so if youre buying the guide for stats, id advise against it.

symbiosis actually wanted to try and integrate my dps spreadsheet with this website at one point, which would probably be more useful for that.
6 Jan 2014, 22:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2014, 22:01 PMwooof

i think prima may have issues with that. it worked at one point, but relic is adding new stats (such as mid range and penetration modifiers), so theyre going to have to modify the code. if i remember correctly, that site never had anything like dps numbers either. raw stats wont really mean much to most people. so if youre buying the guide for stats, id advise against it.

symbiosis actually wanted to try and integrate my dps spreadsheet with this website at one point, which would probably be more useful for that.

That would be handy, a GUI would be even better.
7 Jan 2014, 00:29 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. And thank you Inverse for the insight into the guide. I didn't think it was worth it, but despite having played the original and lots of COH2, i'm still frustrated with the lack of clarity when it comes to game mechanics, unit abilities and unit stats. That I might actually have to buy a guide to get this information is off putting, as most strategy games contain this information in the GUI or unit indexes within the game. Despite this, if there really is no other way then i'd pick up the guide.

Maybe it's time for a similar all-inclusive community guide? Something akin to an up-to-date COH2 Wiki. I would help put something like that together.
7 Jan 2014, 02:05 AM

Permanently Banned
lol, the best guide: play games ^^

It toke me 3 years to stay where i am. everybody just start on 3v3 4v4, see what your teammates do, dont stop it and good luck will find you.
7 Jan 2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Play 1v1, check replays, improve watching others replays, ask on the forum.

For someone who didnt play "seriously" any RTS before, new to the saga, im kinda proud how much i improved/learn on this 6 months. Seeing what others do right n wrong and checking the knowledge some people throws here (whenever they are not fighting each other :P) helped a lot.
7 Jan 2014, 02:43 AM

Wow no, dont ever buy a fucking guide.
7 Jan 2014, 19:43 PM

are they really selling this?
7 Jan 2014, 20:08 PM

What is confusing to you about the mechanics? Here is COH2 mechanics in a nutshell:

Molotovs beat grens.
LMG grens beat Molotovs unless you suck.
Ostheer sniper fires faster than Soviet sniper but gets countersniped.
Pgrens beat everything but shock troops but are a manpower sink.
PzIV/Stug beats T34.
Two T34s beat PzIV or stug.
SU85 beats everything but Tiger Ace, if you micro it at range.
IS-2 usually loses to Tiger.
3 AT nades to kill a flamenwurfer.

Everything else you can figure out.

Hux
7 Jan 2014, 23:01 PM
Patrion 14

Do as APF does. Forget the stats, just turn up the soundtrack volume and enjoy yourself.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★