Login

russian armor

KV-8

1 Jan 2014, 01:26 AM

mh just my 2cent^^

i think the kv8 comes at the right time with the right costs (maybe increase the mp to fit kv1) its the hardconter to heady inf play of germans.
so far its ok, but there should be a possibility to kill it even without german armor. its totaly stupid that the kv8 can realy easy kill a german atgun which should be your backbone.

sure it comes at the same time like a tiger
but keep in mind that germans already are in a more worse position then soviets.
they need a lot of fuel and a lot of mun
while soviets only need fuel and can spam the map with cheap mines which are good vs tanks and inf while the german mines are more expensive and cant be spammed.

all in all my oppinion is that in 90% of my games its easier to win as soviets then with germans.

1 Jan 2014, 03:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2014, 01:26 AMApeMen
mh just my 2cent^^

i think the kv8 comes at the right time with the right costs (maybe increase the mp to fit kv1) its the hardconter to heady inf play of germans.
so far its ok, but there should be a possibility to kill it even without german armor. its totaly stupid that the kv8 can realy easy kill a german atgun which should be your backbone.

sure it comes at the same time like a tiger
but keep in mind that germans already are in a more worse position then soviets.
they need a lot of fuel and a lot of mun
while soviets only need fuel and can spam the map with cheap mines which are good vs tanks and inf while the german mines are more expensive and cant be spammed.

all in all my oppinion is that in 90% of my games its easier to win as soviets then with germans.

+1 Totally agree, imo At gun should be a hard counter to EVERY viechle
1 Jan 2014, 03:53 AM

i think one of the problems is the kv8 is just too hard to kill.

even when you get a tank out to counter the kv8 it still takes a damn long time to kill it. long enough for the tank to retreat back to its anti tank defences even when its out of position.

the other big problem is that it kills way to quickly. of course its a counter to infantry, but there is a line that says that it does too good to a point of being unbalanced.

would you like it if the elefant has super great accuracy, shoots 30 rounds per minute and does 640 damage?

see, even if the kv8 is meant to be good against infantry its too good. even with the recent changes the kv8 still obliterate full hp infantry squads. add this with retreat lag and flame crits its like you lose a couple guys just as you see one.

proposed nerfs.

get rid of flame crits.

and either slightly reduce the damage of the tank OR reduce the armor.
1 Jan 2014, 09:26 AM

Honesty it just seems like a problem Ost has across the board. Small squad sizes + strong Sov weapons often lead to them being killed off too quickly. For example, Soviet Grenades can squad wipe under the right circumstances, but even an Ost Bundle Grenade is unlikely to wipe out a Sov squad due to the 6 man count.
1 Jan 2014, 12:25 PM

Raise the MP cost to 440 to match the KV-1 perhaps. The tank itself is fine, though.

I actually think the KV-8 is alright the way it is but a MP cost increase wouldn't hurt.
1 Jan 2014, 13:23 PM

The cost of KV-8 and KV-8 itself are fine as they are right now.
No need to nerf just for the sake of nerfing.
1 Jan 2014, 15:12 PM

I don't think it is still as much of a problem as it once was. It also comes a bit later now with the new CP system.

However, I think the main problem that may be seen in it is likely caused by the old topic of German mines: Tellerminen are basically the only way that can be used to cripple it. The more widely used alternative for other tanks, Panzerfausts, get evaporated by it. The KV-8 cannot really be countered by most German AT units if it is not crippled because it either turns them into steam (Pak, Panzerschrecks) or because it has enough HP to drive away from them into the safety zone provided by other Soviet units (German T3 tanks).

Tellerminen are actually pretty good: 500 damage (2.5*Soviet mine damage, over 50% of a KV-8) will cripple basically any tank.
However, their direct (high) cost means you can cover and protect only very little space with them. The indirect cost of Ostheer also requiring lots of munitions for basically everything else further limits their use.
Them being used very sparingly in most replay is just another indicator that something is wrong with them. Of course decreasing their direct and indirect cost would also require decreasing their damage.

But that, ultimatelly, isn't a problem with the KV-8 but rather with German mines and munitions costs. So I think the KV-8 should be left alone.
3 Jan 2014, 14:21 PM

Your first mistake was building infantry.
3 Jan 2014, 21:31 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Sometimes when im in the shower i turn the heat all the way up and pretend im getting sprayed by a KV8 flame burst
3 Jan 2014, 22:00 PM

Sometimes when im in the shower i turn the heat all the way up and pretend im getting sprayed by a KV8 flame burst

Damn , that made me laugh.
10 Jan 2014, 06:33 AM

Shouldn't you be dead then? My last encounter with a KV-8 led to every man in my squad burning to death instantly. In my experience, using a KV-8 is much faster and more effective than a Ostwind.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★