Login

russian armor

No RNG mode

18 Dec 2013, 20:53 PM

I would also add crashing planes to that Greeb. I think planes should always be forced to crash off map.

I have had planes kill squads numerous times, but the most egregious example was when one crashed into two ostwinds that had gotten stuck on an injured P4, it killed two of the tanks and left the other Ost with a damaged engine.

In vCOH there were a lot less planes, so crashing was less common, but I hated it then too.

It happens rarely, but it is extremely stupid.
18 Dec 2013, 21:25 PM

The only bit that ever gets to me is the occasional insta-wipe. Like when you get the grenade warning and jump to the squad just in time to see it murder all six conscripts. That's a bummer. Otherwise, RNG is the (edit: one of the) reason(s) I love CoH so much. Wouldn't really change much at all about it.
18 Dec 2013, 21:28 PM
Patrion 26

The only bit that ever gets to me is the occasional insta-wipe. Like when you get the grenade warning and jump to the squad just in time to see it murder all six conscripts. That's a bummer. Otherwise, RNG is the reason I love CoH so much. Wouldn't really change much at all about it.

Or that T-34/85 shots that instawipe 3 star Grens. Frustrating, but its the unique feature of CoH that separates it from other RTS
18 Dec 2013, 21:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

-Planes: I´ll say that for some reason it was quite common some months ago (maybe it was the Strafing run era) but havent experienced it for a while. (i´ve seen it crash on top of 4pgrens/grens squads of my enemy or killing my vet3 sniper >.<)

I could care less for it since it happens way too few times.

-Vehicle abandonment: it add flavour.
-Ice break/ vehicle sunk: this is no RNG. Dont go with tanks through ice.

-Flamers. YES, its really annoying.
18 Dec 2013, 21:42 PM

CoH without RNG is more like getting shitfaced without the hangover the next day. Obviously some thing should be random like weapon accuracy, artillery landing spots, weapon drops, etc. but some of the inconsistencies don't belong in the game (I'm talking about the franchise in general not just CoH2). Stuff like mines usually destroying vehicle engines but sometimes not even dealing any eng damage, sticky bombs not doing engine damage, vcoh sniper wars, missing with AT guns after spending muni on AP rounds, houses with almost full building health getting 1 shotted, number/length of burst(s) needed to suppress targeted unit, and repeated vehicle crits, among other things.

Just because some people are perennial high level players doesn't mean that the RNG doesn't make a huge impact on a individual game basis, especially between two similarly skilled players. Doesn't happen every game but it does happen somewhat frequently. Sometimes even the really good players luck their way to wins- just because they are playing at a pretty high level 95% of the time doesn't mean that all their wins are instantly attributed to skill. Inverse I remember one game we played a while back in one of the very first engagements my flamer got the insta death explosion crit immediately. If I played a bunch of games against you today you would probably win around 70-85% of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every single time you beat me I was outplayed with no exceptions.

PS: That said, I don't want a no RNG mode. If the game is to truly be competitive then the competitive aspects need to be a core feature not some custom option.
18 Dec 2013, 22:46 PM

i think the rng level should be reduced. flame throwers should do some consistent damage instead of relying on crits to kill, that includes moltovs.

flamethrower squads should not have units randomly explode even when a model doesn't get killed. at nades or panzerfaust should not have a engine destroy crit unless the tank is under 20 pct hp.

the only rng stuff that makes sense is penetration, and accuracy, but stupid things like engine crits or losing a flamethrower immediately after you buy it, needs to go away.
18 Dec 2013, 22:48 PM
Patrion 26

i think the rng level should be reduced. flame throwers should do some consistent damage instead of relying on crits to kill, that includes moltovs.

flamethrower squads should not have units randomly explode even when a model doesn't get killed. at nades or panzerfaust should not have a engine destroy crit unless the tank is under 20 pct hp.

the only rng stuff that makes sense is penetration, and accuracy, but stupid things like engine crits or losing a flamethrower immediately after you buy it, needs to go away.

Why it should go away? Better lower the chance of it happening than it not happening at all.
18 Dec 2013, 22:57 PM

Why it should go away? Better lower the chance of it happening than it not happening at all.

i would hate to be the guy that had his full hp panther's engine destroyed by an at nade even though it happens once every 1000 years.
19 Dec 2013, 07:59 AM

There is nothing wrong with random factors, look at any board game (games workshop example), there is huge elements of luck, but the skill is managing those luck components and stacking them in your favour.

Engie crits and possible abandonment just means you should be conservative with armour and shield with inf, exactly as in real life.

Gone are the days of just rushing tanks around with no risk to them. If you cover it propperly, you won't lose it to an enemy.

If he managed to force you to retreat and you abandoned a vehicle, and he has enough troops to comfortably capture the vehicle, then you must have been in a very unfavourable engagement.

22 Dec 2013, 09:57 AM

Sure let's make the game even more linear and predictable. :roll eyes:

Randomness and chaos were part of the war. For a computer processor it gets represented by a random number generator. That's why it exists. That's what makes the game what it is.
raw
22 Dec 2013, 13:20 PM

The "RNG" would be significantly better, if standard weapon systems like tank shells would stop one shotting infantry squads...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★