Login

russian armor

Ostheer since new patch

20 Dec 2013, 06:22 AM

definitely agree w/ z3r07. Since patch feels impossible to win as ostheer against decently played soviet. huge losing streak. rank fell from like 300's to 800's lol

when i lose as soviets, i feel like its because i fucked up or just got outplayed; when i lose as ostheer, feels like game is broken.

hard to say exactly which change(s) is responsible...
20 Dec 2013, 08:27 AM

Hmm... if the OH was truly crap then no German player's rank would change because of the fact that they would all be losing so they'd all remain in the same place because they'd be dropping all the time...

(flawed logic I know...)
20 Dec 2013, 08:38 AM

exactly shock troops and Guards are too early at 1CP now. Elite infantry troops should be put to 2 CP. As Ostheer, you must spend more Ammo to upgrade your arms to fight against Soviets ,such as 120 ammo for the flame HT, and 70 ammo to the 222 SC , while the T70 have noting to spend, and the M3 flaming car only cost 60 ammo. i haven't ever plant a Tellar Anti-Tank mine because it's too expensive for Ostheer and i have no more ammo to do it... really unfair things...i think when i have two 222 Scot Cars, i wont fear about T70 with pak40.
20 Dec 2013, 08:45 AM

Hmm... if the OH was truly crap then no German player's rank would change because of the fact that they would all be losing so they'd all remain in the same place because they'd be dropping all the time...

(flawed logic I know...)

It is flawed

Ppl can also not play Ostheer, maintaining their rank while others fall.
21 Dec 2013, 09:33 AM
Patrion 15

I have been having success with an ostruppen strat posted on the strat forums.

It focused on using the fuel to munis ability. I usually start with two pios and two ostruppen to utilize the extra starting manpower as efficiently as possible. You want to avoid conflict early and use your pios and ost to act as spotters for your mg and rush t2 asap. Then spam pgrens. Lots of them. they can hold their own against shocks and are great against vehicles.

The scatter nerf to moving vehicles acts as a massive buff to shrecks. I usually sit in T2 with shrecks, paks, and mgs until I need to tech to deal with armor. By this point you should have enough fuel to go straight for a panther. This hard counters soviet industry. The extra munis allows you to utilize tellers and shrecks and your army will be much more versatile than your opponents.

In fact with all the early shocks that show up I'm funding mgs and g43s are an excellent counter. Just jeep range with g43s and clean up with pgrens.
21 Dec 2013, 16:16 PM

I've been having some success with mgs spam and purchasable vet. At vet 3, using ap rounds they will tear apart scout car flamers and they even kill t70s. I actually fought off 3 t70s with four vet 3 mg42s.

Holding off infantry requires constant re-positioning and keeping your mgs always in the arc of another. With this and not using as many grens, I have plenty of munitions to spam tellers mines. I always keep 2 pios so no matter what I have one free to place mines. This doesn't really give you hard offensive power but you can do a slow defensive creep and fall back through mine fields and pak coverage if needed. I also like to throw some bunkers in the mix as a fail-safe if I do get overran

Then when I get close to tiger ace, I make sure i have 4 pios and vet 2 of them, which makes them repair rapidly. I send in tiger Ace and wreck shop, retreat and repair when badly damaged. It feels cheap as hell but since I cant fight off the hordes of elite infantry without the cheese, oh well.

When dealing with snipers..support weapons, I use one mg as bait. I'll run into the line of fire then put another mg on the flank and use inc rounds. Snipers trying to fire get killed , maxims get pinned by 2 mg and retreats or dies. Same thing with mortars and at guns. Inc rounds work really well, even vs garrisoned units. 2 mgs firing inc rounds at a 1 garrisoned unit will kill that unit quick.

Inc rounds are the best ability OH has in the entire game. Constant barrages of inc rounds eat shock troopers alive and if they get bold and try to rush a pack of mgs ,they get slaughtered, even on retreat.

The one issue is arty spammers. Since this doc has no arty, all you can really do is grin and bare it till tiger ace. Or you can try p4 raids.
22 Dec 2013, 09:02 AM

In team games is OH much more easy.
Yesterday 80-90% OH in loby 3v3 and 4v4.
raw
22 Dec 2013, 09:25 AM

T2 has always been fragile on both sides, if anything this patch introduces micro for Ostheer...

I gloriously lost my first game to said MG/guard opening despite responding with FHT. Guards are worth the trade-off vs AT weapons now, as they can actually deal with Pgrens.
MGs still dominate the battle field too much, mainly because the game moves so fast between the phases that there is no timeframe to actually take out an MG without automatically falling behind.
22 Dec 2013, 15:22 PM

I've been gone for more than a month now and just decided to visit this forum again to figure out if it might make sense to give COH2 another try.

In the very first thread of the balance forum I read the two most logical and sophisticated answers regarding the state of the current meta are:
I've had great results using [this] DLC commander.

-- Not a good start.>:(
24 Dec 2013, 03:49 AM

i mainly play as soviets 2v2s, it is easier now
but i don't think it is unbalanced, before patch it was 30% searching as soviets on average, now it is 40% on average.
i think you will have to get used to the new meta
although i agree with the problem of shocktroops/guards at 1 cp. it is barely the time ost player will finish t2 building

i never get them so i can't advice how to counter them though
24 Dec 2013, 10:01 AM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2013, 15:22 PMMadok
I've been gone for more than a month now and just decided to visit this forum again to figure out if it might make sense to give COH2 another try.

In the very first thread of the balance forum I read the two most logical and sophisticated answers regarding the state of the current meta are:
I've had great results using [this] DLC commander.

-- Not a good start.>:(

On that note, the response time on the unit commands is much improved. They trimmed down the animation time and it helps with having more control over your units. It feels much more sharp and makes microing much more satisfying. That alone improved the feel of the game a TON, and was by far my favorite change. I feel like the balance changes have been going in the right direction, and despite the game changing nature of some of the commanders, it does add an interesting element to the game.

My biggest beef is that having only 3 commanders limits my opportunity to optimally counter my opponent. I think if more commanders are in line in the future, the number of commanders available to take into game needs to be increased.
6 Jan 2014, 11:20 AM

On a -6 losing streak since the patch. For full disclosure, I have a regular teammate and we have a roughly 1:1 win/loss ratio overall (or at least we did last time I checked). Neither my teammate or I purchase any of the commanders because we hate the sale of commanders on principle.

I have to ask if the Soviets now have some kind of propaganda-war style artillery barrage ability? Because they used it on me in one of those games and I was totally unprepared for it, had never seen it in action before. In general I have noticed that shock troops are extremely prolific, and the 203mm howitzer seems very popular. The heavy strafing run is not something I saw get much use prior (is this new, or is it just newly buffed?) and resulted in extremely bad losses most of the time it has been used.

I went on holiday to Germany in early December, so I feel like there is some The Forever War shit going on right now where every time I take a break and come back to the game the opponents have more abilities that I've never seen before. The developers are having enough problems balancing the game as it is without the steady influx of new commanders messing things up over and over. I would be interested to see broad statistics for factions and find out whether or not the Axis is currently losing more often than winning.
6 Jan 2014, 12:46 PM

We're digging up a bit of an old thread here, I know, but I think it's still relevant.

What I noticed post-patch is, that my success with OH seems more dependant on the strategy I chose.

Contrary to - I think - a lot of other ppl here, I have used the HMG as well before as after the patch. I can see that the strategies involving the HMG have gained power (it's untrue that cons can throw Molotovs when pinned btw.). But the strategies with just one or no MGs seem weaker.

Also, part of the missing power is because the sniper is flawed. It holds fire without having been ordered, essentially wasting your time. It is really annoying not to be able to use the sniper without babysitting it all the time. It is your best bet at inflicting really costly Manpower losses on the soviet player (targeting shocks).

And yes, the lowered cost for ppsh was as well unnecessary wrt. the soviet players ressources as for the balance with OH. It should be reverted IMO.

Overall my success rate hasn't changed. It's the same as before, though tbh it's like 50%. So the effects I see might not apply to top level play.
6 Jan 2014, 13:05 PM
Patrion 14

I have to ask if the Soviets now have some kind of propaganda-war style artillery barrage ability? Because they used it on me in one of those games and I was totally unprepared for it, had never seen it in action before.

Not new, been ingame since release. However, its been very under-used. Not that expenisive ability. Quite nifty, but AoE seems rather samll and can fail.

In general I have noticed that shock troops are extremely prolific, and the 203mm howitzer seems very popular. The heavy strafing run is not something I saw get much use prior (is this new, or is it just newly buffed?) and resulted in extremely bad losses most of the time it has been used.

Nope not buffed (atleast not recently), its just that ppl have realized its powerfull and save up for it.

every time I take a break and come back to the game the opponents have more abilities that I've never seen before.

Nothing new released since nov patch. That said, recent patch changed the CPs and suddenly soviet players changed their meta alot, making it more difficult to decide how to play as ostheer in 2v2s.
6 Jan 2014, 19:23 PM

Conscript PPSH cost less now (was only 20 to begin with) and comes out earlier, but deal less than 1/2 the dps as it did previously. So overall, they have been heavily nerfed.
6 Jan 2014, 21:34 PM

it's untrue that cons can throw Molotovs when pinned btw.

you can order them to throw a molotov before they get pinned, and they will still throw it despite getting pinned in the meantime. This should get fixed imo.
7 Jan 2014, 05:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2014, 21:34 PMQvazar

you can order them to throw a molotov before they get pinned, and they will still throw it despite getting pinned in the meantime. This should get fixed imo.

+1
and the soviet industry commander also needs to be nerfed. T70s still come out so early and destroy Ostheer Manpower so quickly. Generally speaking , in this patch, soviet can build a lot of units so early, conscrips, Guards, shock troops, T70s, T34s, SU85, katsusha, seems every key unit of soviet army can come out early than ostheer. ostheer's weapons update also are more expensive than soviet...
7 Jan 2014, 09:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2014, 05:01 AMatouba

+1
and the soviet industry commander also needs to be nerfed. T70s still come out so early and destroy Ostheer Manpower so quickly. Generally speaking , in this patch, soviet can build a lot of units so early, conscrips, Guards, shock troops, T70s, T34s, SU85, katsusha, seems every key unit of soviet army can come out early than ostheer. ostheer's weapons update also are more expensive than soviet...

1. Relic said that they dont want du habe a symetrical gameplay of soviets and ostheer and theres no reason to take shock troops to 2 CP and ill say you why!
The Main reason u have all what u want to counter them in t1. Just stop spamming grens and maybe u try it with mgs and sniper or maybe mortar. Theres always a chance to counter them and 440 MP are mich in early Game. Nerfing them would just stupid cause after german T2 there would ne no chance to deal with Panzer grens and it is The only was to deal with them (without soviet T2) and This is why u should accept it and combine ur units to deal with shock troops.
2. Soviet got already nerfed heavily. Fast t70 is coming to This time when u finished building german T2. If u have problems to deal with it just try next time an other way to kill The tanks. The most of The time its your own fault why you lost against This different tactics. Theres no reason to whine in The forum because some units are harder to kill than other. Its not doodle jump ITS Company of Heroes just accept it!!!!
7 Jan 2014, 12:47 PM

Not new, been ingame since release. However, its been very under-used. Not that expenisive ability. Quite nifty, but AoE seems rather samll and can fail.

Nope not buffed (atleast not recently), its just that ppl have realized its powerfull and save up for it.

Nothing new released since nov patch. That said, recent patch changed the CPs and suddenly soviet players changed their meta alot, making it more difficult to decide how to play as ostheer in 2v2s.

-8 streak now

Unbelievable. How is the Wehr meta supposed to change in response? That's not a rhetorical question, I need serious strategy advice. We just got wiped two more times by Shock, 120mm, quick tech to SU-85. 203mm appears usually about the same time I decide to deploy an Elephant to regain armored superiority.

It's so strange that we never seemed to have issues until now, yet you're saying this stuff didn't get buffed except the shocks to 1cp. The early shocks are definitely a problem but I can't explain the other stuff.
7 Jan 2014, 13:07 PM

I can fully +1 this:

Ostheer meta is so vulnerable its not even funny anymore. A list of things that tend to fuck me up every game:

- Mines (I lose so many full health squads to these)
- Sturmovik (Hi-la-ri-ous!)
- T34-85 SPAM
- Early Maxim + Shock spam
- Precisionstrike (so funny to capture a flag and hear "weeeeeeee <bom>" only to see your squad is gone). Best 40 muni ability EVER!

After I kept having such a hard time winning as germans I decided to switch to Soviets myself. Coming from a 1v1 position of about 270 I easily cruised to position 33 in 2 days. Nuff said really, but it sucks to see the current unbalance between the 2 factions :(

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★