Login

russian armor

Returning player struggling

30 Nov 2023, 19:16 PM

So I haven't played the game in like 2-3 years and genuinely barely remember anything from the game, so I decided to play a few Ranked matches and went on a losing streak - typical, need to play more to adapt, all good. But I noticed a pattern: I am matched vs Werhmacht all the time, and specifically dominated by the same commander over and over with one particular unit... Assault Grenadiers. And I honestly have no idea how to fight them. Maybe I am just bad after all this time (again: forgot everything besides cheese strategies that I used for fun back when I was fairly decent and had a 50% to win, I have no knowledge of normal strategies), but maybe it has to do with Grens.
The enemy seems to stay still for a little while, then drop three squads of them on my head, or at least two, then almost instantly reinforces them and comes in again while I am trying to cap points and get resources, constantly cutting me off.
To be fair, again, I did try only one real strategy, just in various forms, and this strategy is to have Engies as your backbone, somehow survive up until 2CP and then use Storms/Airguards or just have normal Conscript PPSH build. Maybe I should just try to keep my distance and outgun them but they're real fast and can sprint on top of that. The only window when they're vulnerable, even to Engies, is first-(maybe) second encounter.
Any advice is appreciated.

(for the record: had 1156 hours in the game when I was installing it this week)
10 Dec 2023, 12:20 PM

I'm a rank 1000+ 4v4 player so take what I say with a grain of salt :guyokay:

Using engineers in place of your conscripts is a pretty bad idea unless you're going to be giving them SVTs.

The reason is that they perform pretty much as if they were a 4 man conscript squad, so just theoretically, if you took 4 engineers in place of 4 conscripts, your army is short 8 men at all times; short 12 men by the endgame, even.

If you want to keep using engineers against ass grens, you're really going to want to bring more MGs and use your ability to deny the enemy access to cover w/ barbed wire as often as possible. Planting tripwire mines will take models off ass grens at least until their squad leader upgrade (it may or may not kill a model after it, I forget).

Usually with conscripts the play is to use cover advantage and either retreat outright at close-mid range or soft retreat to an MG around mid range.

The biggest weakness of assault grens is lack of snare (which unfortunately you're also suffering from), so try to bully them with a T70 or AA halftrack.
13 Mar 2024, 11:15 AM

Bit of a late reply but, generally against assault troops, I think its good to spam mainlines and blob up, so you can do good damage to them from afar, make sure to not get cut off on retreat by them, try prevent that happening to your team mate also and retreat if they get ontop of you with too much health in tact. If they are charging right upto you, you can even throw a molotov into their path, which may force them to go around and waste time/DPS.

And then yes probably guards are going to help you boost your DPS, while providing a soft counter to the inevitable 222.

MGs are dangerous due to risk of being flanked and slower to retreat and Ass grens have nades that hard counter them.

If you went T1, a scout car is always useful to kite them with, you may get the chance to chase and wipe (with a flamer), also if they do have an MG42, they have less snares, so M3 might have more freedom.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★