Login

russian armor

COH3 reviews are in

24 Feb 2023, 14:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2023, 13:41 PMKatitof

You really underestimate how many people play on 10+ year old PCs and blame everything except their hardware for low performance.

Just go to reviews of any game that does not have pixel art graphics and you'll notice the exact same comments on negative reviews, irrelevant hardware, windows 7 and rant how game is "badly optimized" or has "bad graphics".

That's assumptions on your side. As an outsider it is impossible to know which computer and game settings the players run.
I think it is reasonable to demand that a new game should be decently playable on a 5 year old machine with low-medium settings. And often enough even new hardware has performance issues, sometimes tied to specific pieces of hardware, sometimes to combinations thereof. That's all fair criticism.

24 Feb 2023, 14:58 PM

COh3 look like it was made by people who love COh1 and hate coh2 instead of being make by people who want to make new game.
24 Feb 2023, 15:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2023, 07:29 AMKatitof

Read them.
40% of them whines it is not CoH2.
40% of them whines it does not run any good on a PC they have played CoH1 on on med settings 12 years ago.
20% is your classic "iZ eRlY aCcEsS aNd LoOkZ lIkE mObIlE" intellectuals.

But many say the sound is less boom kapow! compared to coh2 and I thought the sound was even better in Coh1 where it was the most boom kapow!

If realistic is no fun then I don't want realistic, if that is was it's said to be. I want immersion.
24 Feb 2023, 15:33 PM

But many say the sound is less boom kapow! compared to coh2 and I thought the sound was even better in Coh1 where it was the most boom kapow!

If realistic is no fun then I don't want realistic, if that is was it's said to be. I want immersion.

That's by design.
Its in one of relic vids or responses, they went away with hollywood exaggerated sounds and went for more realistic sounds.
Its not worse, its different. And I personally like it, but it was kind of awkward and fresh experience to hear bullets sink in the sand.
25 Feb 2023, 14:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2023, 13:41 PMKatitof

You really underestimate how many people play on 10+ year old PCs and blame everything except their hardware for low performance.

Just go to reviews of any game that does not have pixel art graphics and you'll notice the exact same comments on negative reviews, irrelevant hardware, windows 7 and rant how game is "badly optimized" or has "bad graphics".

I think one of the issues here is that for a game which is an absolute GPU hog, there isn't much on-screen impressive enough to justify the frankly-ridiculous performance demands. It comes off as either sloppy optimization or just another attempt to sell graphics cards.

Developers used to have to pull tricks like only texturing the visible sides of objects and environments, and now they feel they can just melt your PC for no good reason. I really don't care if the visual fidelity of some tiny environmental object has increased 400%, I'd rather the game actually runs well.
25 Feb 2023, 19:47 PM

I think one of the issues here is that for a game which is an absolute GPU hog, there isn't much on-screen impressive enough to justify the frankly-ridiculous performance demands. It comes off as either sloppy optimization or just another attempt to sell graphics cards.

Developers used to have to pull tricks like only texturing the visible sides of objects and environments, and now they feel they can just melt your PC for no good reason. I really don't care if the visual fidelity of some tiny environmental object has increased 400%, I'd rather the game actually runs well.

Game is CPU heavy, not GPU.
Always was.
If you feel like its GPU heavy, you're one of the people I mentioned earlier.
25 Feb 2023, 20:40 PM

I have a five-year-old PC and while the game is technically playable, it's not an ideal experience. My point is that I can run Company of Heroes 2 at max settings with no frame rate drops and yet this game runs like complete ass for no discernible reason, and this is supposed to be my fault. It's fine though, because I want to play Relic's game as much as they want me to play it.
25 Feb 2023, 22:32 PM

Graphics review from source I like; Digital Foundry https://youtu.be/Hyk-18WLyMY
28 Feb 2023, 03:01 AM

The question is not if the models have been reused, but if the reused models are outdated. Could they have higher polygon counts and neater corners/edges with 10 more years of graphics development? Sure. But it does not always make sense to improve the complexity of your models, especially if you're not going to see it once you're zoomed out. At this point you'll just increase power consumption on the hardware for no benefit. On zoom-in, you'll probably see some of the rougher edges, but there is good reason for the developer to prioritize performance over that last 10% visual fidelity. You personally might weight that differently and not recommend the game with good reason as well, but that's not the only way.

I would have also expected an overall larger graphics leap, but I don't find the graphics particularly bad. For me it was more the overall art design that was slightly off and did not yield this great immersion that CoH2 had, but this has to do with more than just graphics. I have to say that I did not play the release version and that the data that Relic has put out since then looked promising on the graphics side at least.

I find it quite annoying though that many just jump on one single issue and downvote the game because of that. I don't believe that the e.g. graphic issues are so large that THAT many people find it game breaking. The game is more than just graphics or a couple of models ported from CoH2. They just expected better or something different and downvote in pure defiance.

Here my annoyances are well explained, they are not only low poly models, but the textures and shapes are not well sculpted and there are even invented parts, you can only get a single tiger in the game I don't think there were performance problems this is simply neglect, what is not normal is that the remodeled backpacks for coh3 that are seen on top of the tank have better modeling than the tank itself hahaha.
I assure you that a much better modeled model would not decrease performance at all.

https://imgur.com/a/fsSj92A#6NXM3wY
28 Feb 2023, 14:29 PM

By the way, the sounds of engines and a long etc. They sound very bad, like recordings from the 50s xd. The truth is I do not understand anything.
28 Feb 2023, 14:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2023, 14:21 PMReverb

What does coh3 bring that make it new game beside slight higher resolution?

Elevation.

But you can still shoot through a windowless wall at bunkered troops.
1 Mar 2023, 02:42 AM

I want to like CoH 3, but it's a do not recommend from me, unless you're a coh addict and you're bored of CoH 2. Which I am.
1 Mar 2023, 15:24 PM
3 Mar 2023, 21:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2023, 14:58 PMReverb
COh3 look like it was made by people who love COh1 and hate coh2 instead of being make by people who want to make new game.

That's true, I like Coh but I love coh2, I stop playing the first game the day coh2 comes out, I was hooked to the game, sadly I tried the beta version and I forced myself to play it, and only for few minutes. There is 6k players in coh2 right now, the normal number, I really don't see how a coh2 player can go to the new game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★