Login

russian armor

SOV crew repair rant.

31 Oct 2022, 12:27 PM

Alright, now I know this has been discussed before on these forums. I distinctly remember Vipper pointing out the fact that unlike other crew repairs, Soviet crew repairs go all the way until the tank is repaired, so one really shouldn't be complaining.

However, can we just admit how stupid this is? Seriously. You find a (clearly risky if you're getting caught and put into combat, but this is besides the point) spot to start repairs and then issue the command. Assumedly, inside the tank, the crew pulls a repair box out of wherever and starts hitting the engine with a wrench idfk. Alright cool. A few seconds later, enemy pioneer squad runs up to the T34 and starts chipping the paint job with their mp40s.

Now, because of this, you aren't allowed to stop repairs, because you're in combat. Explain to me why it makes any sense at all that the T34 crew now has their wrenches superglued to their hands. Okay, cool; the pioneer squad is over here wasting ammo, big deal right? But now here comes a wild Panzer 4 with the big guns (or at least big enough to actually damage the tank). You're telling me that these ruskies are SO DEDICATED to repairing the tank, that THEY DECIDE TO DIE IN A BALL OF FIRE instead of putting the freaking grease gun down and shifting the f@ck into reverse?

Please, explain why this is the direction that the balance team decided to take with balancing soviet crew repair. It makes zero common sense besides from a balance standpoint. They could have done something cool like make it so that the tank abandons on hit like with Sturmtiger (at least then it's not like having your skin peeled off while you're tied to a chair, now it's quick and painless) or hell, why not double the damage and instantly cancel the crew repairs? That would be one hell of a penalty, but it wouldn't be watching your nearly full health T-34 die to a panzergrenadier with one shreck slowly but surely taking the tank down to zero.

EDIT: And before you make the joke, no I didn't just lose an IS-2 to crew repairs or something and then immediately came to the forums to complain :P . It's just something that I thought of while I was reading the ability guide and saw OST's crew repair ability.

Though this did happen to me once in a 1v1 years ago and I was so confused and furious that I stopped playing for the day. Rest in peace, poor T-34/85. You were missed.
31 Oct 2022, 13:10 PM

Alright, now I know this has been discussed before on these forums. I distinctly remember Vipper pointing out the fact that unlike other crew repairs, Soviet crew repairs go all the way until the tank is repaired, so one really shouldn't be complaining.

However, can we just admit how stupid this is? Seriously. You find a (clearly risky if you're getting caught and put into combat, but this is besides the point) spot to start repairs and then issue the command. Assumedly, inside the tank, the crew pulls a repair box out of wherever and starts hitting the engine with a wrench idfk. Alright cool. A few seconds later, enemy pioneer squad runs up to the T34 and starts chipping the paint job with their mp40s.

Now, because of this, you aren't allowed to stop repairs, because you're in combat. Explain to me why it makes any sense at all that the T34 crew now has their wrenches superglued to their hands. Okay, cool; the pioneer squad is over here wasting ammo, big deal right? But now here comes a wild Panzer 4 with the big guns (or at least big enough to actually damage the tank). You're telling me that these ruskies are SO DEDICATED to repairing the tank, that THEY DECIDE TO DIE IN A BALL OF FIRE instead of putting the freaking grease gun down and shifting the f@ck into reverse?

Please, explain why this is the direction that the balance team decided to take with balancing soviet crew repair. It makes zero common sense besides from a balance standpoint. They could have done something cool like make it so that the tank abandons on hit like with Sturmtiger (at least then it's not like having your skin peeled off while you're tied to a chair, now it's quick and painless) or hell, why not double the damage and instantly cancel the crew repairs? That would be one hell of a penalty, but it wouldn't be watching your nearly full health T-34 die to a panzergrenadier with one shreck slowly but surely taking the tank down to zero.

EDIT: And before you make the joke, no I didn't just lose an IS-2 to crew repairs or something and then immediately came to the forums to complain :P . It's just something that I thought of while I was reading the ability guide and saw OST's crew repair ability.

Though this did happen to me once in a 1v1 years ago and I was so confused and furious that I stopped playing for the day. Rest in peace, poor T-34/85. You were missed.

*insert gigachad image* yes

On a serious note, I think the whole mechanism of soviets, a faction that always floats muni, should get an all the way self repair bonus. But that's not the end nor the start of the problems.

At any rate, be a smart boy and park your t34s in base to repair.
31 Oct 2022, 13:20 PM

*insert gigachad image* yes

On a serious note, I think the whole mechanism of soviets, a faction that always floats muni, should get an all the way self repair bonus.

What do you mean by this?

At any rate, be a smart boy and park your t34s in base to repair.

Well yeah but my post still stands.
31 Oct 2022, 13:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What I find even funnier is that this ability can almost outrepair the damage of a P4.

I remember multiple occasions of either my or a friend's T34 being found out pants down repairing in the back, while the P4 desperately tried to finish it off thinking it were easy prey. These T34s often stopped the whole push if you had an ATG supporting the T34
31 Oct 2022, 13:43 PM

What I find even funnier is that this ability can almost outrepair the damage of a P4.

I remember multiple occasions of either my or a friend's T34 being found out pants down repairing in the back, while the P4 desperately tried to finish it off thinking it were easy prey. These T34s often stopped the whole push if you had an ATG supporting the T34

*the sounds of soviet tank crewmen desperately trying to run around the compartment picking up all the little bits of metal so they can weld it to the hull before the p4 fires again*
31 Oct 2022, 13:46 PM

Maybe if its a command P4 LMAO

31 Oct 2022, 14:38 PM

I think i saw a high level game where someone, possibly Kobal, did something similar to this... except in reverse as he was playing as Ostheer.

A badly damaged P4 with an engine crit limps round a corner, the t34 rushes to it to try and finish it off. Only for it to use hull down while some pios frantically repaired it from the back while it dueled the t-34. It ended up winning and basically cancelling out the damage through the hull down and repairs. Genuinely thought he'd misclicked or something at first, didn't know that was possible.
31 Oct 2022, 14:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2022, 13:46 PMKatukov

I try to be fair to everyone on this board, so I ended up testing just this.

Here's teh video:

I think you'd be surprised :clap:. I know I was.
31 Oct 2022, 14:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2022, 13:46 PMKatukov

Nope, I am not kidding. I can't remember the repair speed of the ability, but I think it was around 9. It's enough to repair at least half the incoming damage unless you can shoot consistently into the rear armor. If the P4 has a bounce or miss, the repair negates that shot. If you manage to not get shot in the back (and often it is enough to have an infantry squad nearby, chances are that the enemy P4 has been damaged during the offensive as well).
If the T34 is at ~75% health at the time you find it, accounting for misses and bounces from mid range, you'll probably still need 40 seconds to kill the small T34, even longer for the T34/85. Unless your opponent is completely wiped off the field, chances are you're not going to get the T34 because an ATG or something will push you off.
31 Oct 2022, 14:45 PM

snip

See post #8

:D

Both tanks were at exactly -160 HP when I started crew repair.
31 Oct 2022, 14:48 PM

Also yes I really did have a bugsplat exactly as the t-34/85 died. Absolutely godlike timing.
31 Oct 2022, 14:51 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Also yes I really did have a bugsplat exactly as the t-34/85 died. Absolutely godlike timing.

I was thinking for a second if you edited that in.

Would be a nice touch. Gives you that feeling of actually playing the game instead of just watching a video. True CoH2 vibes.
31 Oct 2022, 17:01 PM

What do you mean by this?

Well yeah but my post still stands.

Oh shit, typo.

I meant that this ability is very op on a faction like sov that float muni.
31 Oct 2022, 17:02 PM

I think i saw a high level game where someone, possibly Kobal, did something similar to this... except in reverse as he was playing as Ostheer.

A badly damaged P4 with an engine crit limps round a corner, the t34 rushes to it to try and finish it off. Only for it to use hull down while some pios frantically repaired it from the back while it dueled the t-34. It ended up winning and basically cancelling out the damage through the hull down and repairs. Genuinely thought he'd misclicked or something at first, didn't know that was possible.

amazing last stand moment if true... would be interested in videoclip
31 Oct 2022, 19:50 PM

Nope, I am not kidding. I can't remember the repair speed of the ability, but I think it was around 9. It's enough to repair at least half the incoming damage unless you can shoot consistently into the rear armor. If the P4 has a bounce or miss, the repair negates that shot. If you manage to not get shot in the back (and often it is enough to have an infantry squad nearby, chances are that the enemy P4 has been damaged during the offensive as well).
If the T34 is at ~75% health at the time you find it, accounting for misses and bounces from mid range, you'll probably still need 40 seconds to kill the small T34, even longer for the T34/85. Unless your opponent is completely wiped off the field, chances are you're not going to get the T34 because an ATG or something will push you off.

honestly i still refuse to believe this, unless the p4 in question is on drugs and bounces/misses half its shots (and bouncing vs a T-34 is not exactly the most common thing). The t-34/76 takes maybe 1 to 2 more shots, which isn't a lot considering that your tank is completely helpless

+ it doesn't fire and you cant even cancel the repair. I heard a story in some tournament game where a SOV took a gamble to repair his t-34/85 right near the frontline, but a fucking PIONEER squad with PTRS appeared and basically neutralized the tank until support comes
31 Oct 2022, 19:54 PM

the emergency repairs from wehrmacht repair both criticals and the tank itself back to majority of its own HP and quickly at that. Honestly a pretty good ability when you actually have it

Though, when pioneers repair a tank, he should have focused them off because even the machine guns kill models insanely fast
31 Oct 2022, 20:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I remember a 1v1 tournament where someone used KV-1 hull down against I think Stormjager. Not sure if there were repairs in play, but the damage reduction and a couple of unlucky dice rolls where enough for the P4 to lose, although it looked like a pretty safe win. Stormjager was (understandably) raging here on the forums later on.

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2022, 19:50 PMKatukov

honestly i still refuse to believe this, unless the p4 in question is on drugs and bounces/misses half its shots (and bouncing vs a T-34 is not exactly the most common thing). The t-34/76 takes maybe 1 to 2 more shots, which isn't a lot considering that your tank is completely helpless

+ it doesn't fire and you cant even cancel the repair. I heard a story in some tournament game where a SOV took a gamble to repair his t-34/85 right near the frontline, but a fucking PIONEER squad with PTRS appeared and basically neutralized the tank until support comes

It can heavily depend on timing, e.g. your T34 repairs just above 160 HP before receiving an otherwise deadly hit. But you've seen Don's video. A 3 hit T34 goes up to 5 hits under perfect circumstances and it still took 30 seconds. And the chance of 5 pens in a row is 20-30% depending on range, neglecting misses entirely. If there had been 2-3 more bounces/misses, which you'd actually have to expect, the T34 is suddenly up another 160+ HP, at which point it takes another shot, during which it still repairs etc.

Obviously, the T34 won't win. But it will delay the whole action enough for an ATG to come in, potentially a snare, in team games a team mate can rush for help and flank your tank. It's very dangerous to just stand there for so long. With only one single P4 and no additional vehicle or ATG, there's a good chance that it is not worth attacking the T34, because a probably outcome is that you get your tank damaged and have to repair, costing you overall more micro and time than the opponent (who just has to wait a bit longer for the ability to finish).
31 Oct 2022, 23:14 PM

[redacted]

the T-34/76 took 20 or so seconds to die, but it still died

a hull down kv-1 with auto repair baiting a p4 does sound really fun to do, although your tank being under fire and it being unable to fight back or escape is really a risky maneuver
1 Nov 2022, 01:05 AM

Obviously, the T34 won't win. But it will delay the whole action enough for an ATG to come in, potentially a snare, in team games a team mate can rush for help and flank your tank. It's very dangerous to just stand there for so long. With only one single P4 and no additional vehicle or ATG, there's a good chance that it is not worth attacking the T34, because a probably outcome is that you get your tank damaged and have to repair, costing you overall more micro and time than the opponent (who just has to wait a bit longer for the ability to finish).

This was my biggest takeaway from the test.

However, I would like to bring the discussion back on topic to ask once more: "isn't this kind of stupid?"

We're over here discussing how the T34 can actually *fill up holes in its armor* fast enough to effectively give the tank KV-1/ Panther levels of health. And this is assuming worst case scenario where all P4 shots penetrate. If RNGesus is not smiling upon you this day, well you had ought to add each missed shot to the number of shots you're gonna need to kill the damn thing.

I personally think that once a tank in crew repairs gets hit, it should either A.) do double damage and instantly cancel the repairs, or B.) do normal damage, but crew stun the vehicle like Target Weak Point does, while at the same time cancelling crew repairs.

This makes way more sense and also as an added benefit doesn't look completely silly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 49
unknown 17
Germany 7
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L