Login

russian armor

Commander Overlap a serious problem

PAGES (11)down
23 Nov 2013, 21:08 PM
Donator 22

adding my +1

have played only vCoH lately and I am not eager to come back to CoH2, having to learn all this new Commander stuff in order start playing again.
24 Nov 2013, 01:57 AM

The thread still reads like wish fulfillment and rose colored glasses.

The tree style commanders wouldn't actually fix much of the current balance issues, and would actually complicate things as more powerful abilities come out sooner.

It's also a huge undertaking, and I think time is better spent making the current scheme and commanders more properly balanced than to do another unneeded giant overhaul (vet system) when a number of smaller or more concise fixes to stabilize the game will do more.
24 Nov 2013, 06:19 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2013, 01:57 AMTurtle
The thread still reads like wish fulfillment and rose colored glasses.

The tree style commanders wouldn't actually fix much of the current balance issues, and would actually complicate things as more powerful abilities come out sooner.

It's also a huge undertaking, and I think time is better spent making the current scheme and commanders more properly balanced than to do another unneeded giant overhaul (vet system) when a number of smaller or more concise fixes to stabilize the game will do more.

This is naive and thoughtless.

It's not looking at vcoh through rose tinted glasses - it's just that this is a better way to implement doctrines

This
24 Nov 2013, 12:27 PM

Naive and thoughtless is thinking there's only one way to implement commanders optimally.

You can say you aren't looking back at a game with too much nostalgia, and yet still be affected by it.

Naivety and thoughtlessness can also been seen as being slaves to the past, even if the future isn't as bright as you remember the past to be. Doesn't matter how many agree with you.

Relic's particular way of handling the game is the issue. Sure, changing how the commanders work is one way of alleviating it, but it's not a magical fix for everything. And, with the way they're handling commander ability balance is more the issue than the way the abilities are bought and distributed.

We probably wouldn't even be talking about this, nor would many people agree as much, if Relic had focused on balance first, regardless of whether commanders are split into trees.
24 Nov 2013, 12:28 PM
Patrion 14

+1

Great idea. Let's hope Relic sees this. So far they did a nice job of trying to deliver features the community asked for (map editor, though a bit buggy at the moment, chat lobbies, fixed positions and so on. By the way: Thanks for these features, Relic :D )
24 Nov 2013, 14:08 PM

Throw another +1 on there for me.

Too many of the commanders seem like a thoughtless jumble of abilities, with no clear strategic application. The DLC model for commanders is bad form and is to blame for this continual reshuffling and repackaging of the same abilities. Selling cosmetics like skins or nameplates is one thing, selling things that actually affect gameplay is another matter entirely.
24 Nov 2013, 14:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2013, 12:27 PMTurtle

You can say you aren't looking back at a game with too much nostalgia, and yet still be affected by it.

well if nostalgia means having a sense for quality, nostalgia it is...
25 Nov 2013, 03:51 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

We probably wouldn't even be talking about this, nor would many people agree as much, if Relic had focused on balance first, regardless of whether commanders are split into trees.

No

It's not looking at vcoh through rose tinted glasses - it's just that this is a better way to implement doctrines

This
25 Nov 2013, 19:55 PM

+1 billion, i will start playing again and may get my friends to reinstall the game
25 Nov 2013, 22:50 PM
Donator 11

+100000000000000.9999999999999
25 Nov 2013, 23:01 PM
25 Nov 2013, 23:08 PM

Agreed, of course.

The problem is: How realistic is it? Is it possible to change the entire Commander system on the go, or is it too embedded in the code that its just not worth it (from a development point of view).

I HOPE they change it, but its only that... hope.
25 Nov 2013, 23:23 PM

since everyone agrees, whats the officials opinion on this?
26 Nov 2013, 00:00 AM

Wow couldnt agree more! I really miss the coh style command tree.. However if they want to truely fix this and stop the endless dissatifaction and maybe make everyone happy!! They need maybe to take a page from FPS community. Open up the commander abilities. Allow the player to customize their commander anyway the like.. Like how Perks or weapons are handled in those games.. I know it can be done, if they can do it with all the camo skins & bulletins, they can do it with the commanders..
26 Nov 2013, 01:10 AM

Could be do-able - you have so many points to spend, abilities cost less or more points to add to rosters, depending on their effectiveness/power/whatever central characteristic is deemed important. Could also spend points on 'repeatability' - e.g. only buy 1 ability that you really like, but spend the rest of the points on re-use tokens. Or something.

Can't see it happening, and could be even worse to balance!
26 Nov 2013, 01:45 AM

Balance i dont think would be hard, all the abilities are there already. For example, You have five slots right... Each slot has only certain abilities available for that specific slot.. Slot 5= heavy tank, slot 4= off map arty.. Etc etc..
26 Nov 2013, 02:13 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Balance i dont think would be hard, all the abilities are there already. For example, You have five slots right... Each slot has only certain abilities available for that specific slot.. Slot 5= heavy tank, slot 4= off map arty.. Etc etc..

Its easier than it was when they were first putting commanders together for sure. That fact alone warrants a consideration of redesign considering what we have now. The support seen here thus far is also encouraging.
26 Nov 2013, 02:25 AM

For sure WF!! Still love this game!! Still have confidence Relic will do the right thing..
26 Nov 2013, 02:45 AM

26 Nov 2013, 03:27 AM

Relic took a "balance first" philosophy into DoW2's early updates, simplifying the game and making it one-dimensional, like the CoH2 commanders.

It killed the game.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight