Login

russian armor

LefH airburst shells are weird

25 Jun 2021, 16:00 PM

I'm suprised to see it was added in its current state. Most notably the visual weirdness, the shell hits the ground, but the airburst effect appears above it, it is so out of place (pun intended).

Also, afaik historically germans didn't have airburst shells that could be used reliably against ground targets, only allies did.

Is it any useful at least gameplay wise? I really wouldn't mind it being replaced with something that doesn't look this glitchy at least.
25 Jun 2021, 16:23 PM

I'm suprised to see it was added in its current state. Most notably the visual weirdness, the shell hits the ground, but the airburst effect appears above it, it is so out of place (pun intended).

Also, afaik historically germans didn't have airburst shells that could be used reliably against ground targets, only allies did.

Is it any useful at least gameplay wise? I really wouldn't mind it being replaced with something that doesn't look this glitchy at least.

The German might not use proximity fuses but they used timers.

Actually the 88 was used to attack ground targets by detonating the shell above intended target.
25 Jun 2021, 17:34 PM

I think the main issue with the Airburst shells is that the scatter is all over the place like the normal barrage rather than being an accurate low damage area denial tool.

No point using it over the regular barrage considering they both share the same cooldown as well.
25 Jun 2021, 18:09 PM

My limited testing has revealed that in the rare cases of keeping vet 1, the enemy either ignores it or just stays in the barrage zone with their blinded vehicles. The aim of VP/point defence is far better served by regular fire mode as you cannot retreat a dead squad, nor do dead models replace themselves for free. Scott also takes full damage from aimed shots.

I’d honestly suggest vet 1 giving an improved AOE profile ala old CB damage profile but that would invite way too much screaming of OP I think. As it stands, there’s little reason to use airburst shells.
26 Jun 2021, 09:05 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

My limited testing has revealed that in the rare cases of keeping vet 1, the enemy either ignores it or just stays in the barrage zone with their blinded vehicles. The aim of VP/point defence is far better served by regular fire mode as you cannot retreat a dead squad, nor do dead models replace themselves for free. Scott also takes full damage from aimed shots.

I’d honestly suggest vet 1 giving an improved AOE profile ala old CB damage profile but that would invite way too much screaming of OP I think. As it stands, there’s little reason to use airburst shells.

I feel like any suggestion to buff arty currently would be met with screams of OP lol. But yes, this has been a problem with the mattress for years now. Why use WP rockets when the HE ones just kill your opponent. Now the same can be said for the LeFH
26 Jun 2021, 10:32 AM

I have an idea for an ability that would be somewhat remiscient of the removed counter barrage, but requires player action: a timed ability that keeps enemy barraging artillery pieces visible for longer in the FOW (within the Lefh's range). The player would still need to manually launch a barrage on them, but they will have a longer opportunity to do so precisely.
26 Jun 2021, 11:18 AM

I feel like any suggestion to buff arty currently would be met with screams of OP lol. But yes, this has been a problem with the mattress for years now. Why use WP rockets when the HE ones just kill your opponent. Now the same can be said for the LeFH

I couldn't have put it any better myself. Been on the receiving end of WP many times but with Axis fwd healing/reinforce it's not much of an issue.
26 Jun 2021, 11:28 AM

I couldn't have put it any better myself. Been on the receiving end of WP many times but with Axis fwd healing/reinforce it's not much of an issue.
It seem the problem has more to do with abundances of healing options and the healing speed than with WP.
26 Jun 2021, 12:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2021, 11:28 AMVipper
It seem the problem has more to do with abundances of healing options and the healing speed than with WP.

That's not what I meant. You can still be forced to retreat if they do a coordinated push. But Airburst (LEFH or UKF) you can just walk through with nary a bit of fear. You absolutely cannot do that with regular shells or at least not be surprised when a squad disappears. WP you can also walk out of and the obscure effect is more troubling. The healing availability just makes it easier to get your troops up to full hp.
26 Jun 2021, 13:58 PM

I believe the intended use of the land mattress WP is to follow up with an another mattress firing normal barrage, so basicly the WP weakens and slows down retreating squads for the other barrage to finish them off. That, or to ensure that enemy AT gun sight is obscured with the added bonus of damaging them.
The lefh airbust just damages them and forces them to move away slightly, but then they can still continue to fight just fine, there isn't even a random chance that one of them gets OHKO-d.
27 Jun 2021, 19:12 PM

to all the ppl saying this sucks. i just used a few of them and i love it. it wipes squads so easily if hit in the right spot and the spread very nice so the enemy dont really know where the center is. making them choose wrong area when moving to get hit by another one.vehicle effect is awesome for diving attacks after blinding tanks. great on building and bunkers very good
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★