Login

russian armor

Hard restart.. bug?

28 Apr 2021, 05:58 AM

Since the 64bit upgrade me and my player friends have been having hard restart issues in game. I would have ignored it as a hardware issue but since it happens to my buddies as well so I came to the Bug Forums for answers.

Here is this thread from 2014.. saying exactly the same thing:

https://www.coh2.org/topic/28161/new-pc-restarting-bug-yes-you-read-that-right

Ok, so as the title says, was doing some 3v3's with some friends and all of a sudden, my PC restarts out of the blue. No error message, no hard-locking, nothing. It was as if the restart button was clicked (which it certainly wasn't).

Yep... exactly this is happening to us.. so going back a few months in the bug forums I dont see it happening for anybody else in the recent history. (Side note: Since no bugsplat screen is possible there is no way to report it either.)

So, the question is; is this a thing.. or is it time to go down the 'lets update hardware' rabbit hole?
28 Apr 2021, 06:39 AM

Check temperature of PC?
29 Apr 2021, 00:30 AM

It has happened to me as well, two times already. Just hard restart while in a game, PC shuts down completely as if unplugged. I checked temps, they are all fine, I checked 12V, 5V and 3V voltage, it's fine, I ran PSU/CPU/GPU stress tests in OCCT for at least an hour each, no crashes. This has never happened before and I was afraid my PSU has gone bad but I've exhausted all means of testing save for trying another PSU, which I'm not inclined to do since all the other tests have not failed.
29 Apr 2021, 00:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2021, 05:58 AMukyo24
Since the 64bit upgrade me and my player friends have been having hard restart issues in game. I would have ignored it as a hardware issue but since it happens to my buddies as well so I came to the Bug Forums for answers.

Yep... exactly this is happening to us.. so going back a few months in the bug forums I dont see it happening for anybody else in the recent history. (Side note: Since no bugsplat screen is possible there is no way to report it either.)

So, the question is; is this a thing.. or is it time to go down the 'lets update hardware' rabbit hole?

Would you mind posting your system specifications? I'm trying to find a connection between the hard restarts, maybe there's a common PC component?
29 Apr 2021, 03:43 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Aside from posting your PC specs, and my first thought is something is overheating in your PC, can you check the event viewer to see if anything is crashing to cause the shutdown?
29 Apr 2021, 05:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2021, 05:58 AMukyo24

sounds more like unstable overclock or too high boost clocks
29 Apr 2021, 06:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 00:32 AMHuzderu

Would you mind posting your system specifications? I'm trying to find a connection between the hard restarts, maybe there's a common PC component?

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz
8,0 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
29 Apr 2021, 06:26 AM

Aside from posting your PC specs, and my first thought is something is overheating in your PC, can you check the event viewer to see if anything is crashing to cause the shutdown?

I checked the event viewer for critical, warning and errors. Nothing was reported at the time of restart.

The last warning that is an hour before the restart is gupdatem.. it is apparently google update service and there are other complaints about it causing restarts..

Interesting..
29 Apr 2021, 06:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 05:46 AMmrgame2

sounds more like unstable overclock or too high boost clocks

I have no overclocking.
29 Apr 2021, 06:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Apr 2021, 06:39 AMVipper
Check temperature of PC?

I downloaded a neat program called ''core temp''. Its monitoring the heat of all my cores and logs it, gives a warning at a certain temp etc.

Played a few games including a 3v3.. no restarts and no temp increase at all.. max I saw was 53 C (127 F).

Will check logs once I get another damned restart.
29 Apr 2021, 06:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 06:26 AMukyo24

I checked the event viewer for critical, warning and errors. Nothing was reported at the time of restart.

The last warning that is probably an hour before the restart is gupdatem.. it is apparently google update service and there are other complaints about it causing restarts..

Interesting..

I have decided not to disable it for now, since it could not mean anything. Will let you know if it pops up at my next dreaded restart.
29 Apr 2021, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The first thing you need to focus in is finding if it's either your PC or you having issues with COH in specific.

0- If you had updated your drivers recently, i would try rolling those backs with a clean installation to a version on which you haven't had those crashes.

1- Are you playing any other game which might have a similar or higher resource demand? That's one way to know if it's COH2 related or not.

If not try some stress testers in order to see if you can proc a hard reset.

If it crashes then it's a matter of checking component by component to see which one is the faulty one. PSU/GPU/Ram.
29 Apr 2021, 15:43 PM

If this happens within other programs I'd say it's either an overheat or an undervolt. If there's no temperature issues I'd suggest trying another PSU if you have access to one and having a program to monitor voltage output.

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 06:26 AMukyo24

The last warning that is an hour before the restart is gupdatem.. it is apparently google update service and there are other complaints about it causing restarts..

Interesting..

It's interesting there's no errors since there should be a kernel power critical error at least. I suggest waiting for another restart and then posting screenshots/relevent data. Also PC specs would be a good add.
29 Apr 2021, 16:48 PM

Also PC specs would be a good add.

8,0 GB Ram

Beside this? I honestly dont know how to gather more info :)
29 Apr 2021, 18:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 16:48 PMukyo24

8,0 GB Ram

Beside this? I honestly dont know how to gather more info :)

my apologies I read that above my first response but didn't register it was you.

I haven't been on windows 7 in awhile, but if you go to the search bar in the windows menu and type "dxdiag" you should be able to see your windows specs
30 Apr 2021, 01:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2021, 06:19 AMukyo24

8,0 GB Ram

Hmmm, my specifications are completely different so no dice. Would you mind running the OCCT (free software) "Power" test for at least an hour? If it crashes for you then it might be the PSU.
2 May 2021, 22:55 PM

Just in case anyone is reading this, it was a faulty PSU causing the shutdowns. I changed to a new one and all works flawlessly. OP, you might want to check your PSU as well, I'm 99% sure that's the problem.
3 May 2021, 19:56 PM

Just in case anyone is reading this, it was a faulty PSU causing the shutdowns. I changed to a new one and all works flawlessly. OP, you might want to check your PSU as well, I'm 99% sure that's the problem.

This is great news.. I had no shutdowns since I posted the initial post.. and I am yet to execute a stress test.. however it gladdens my heart that at least it is (hopefully) not a bug and a PSU replacement will resolve my issue..
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★