Login

russian armor

Vickers needs a rework

23 Mar 2021, 21:20 PM

This unit in the British arsenal rarely sees use from my experience watching high level games. I think the reason is fairly obvious: it doesn't do as well for it's intended role as an HMG compared to other units of similar price points. All other HMGs have some strength that makes them (roughly) on par with each other, the MG42 and 50cal with it's awesome suppression and damage, the Maxim with its 6 man squads, and the MG34's good suppression combined with OKW's ability to push early.

The Vickers has okay damage and that's about it; but Infantry Sections are a much more practical choice in this department. Furthermore, the suppression on this unit is not adequate in dealing with axis squads which are by nature designed to fight and kill units with higher model counts. I've lost count of how many times I witnessed a blob of infantry walk into the cone of fire of this unit and decrew it before it has a chance to suppress, much less fire. I was hoping the change to HMG positioning would allow this not to happen, but it does, little, if anything to remedy the situation.

I think this unit needs better suppression since it has recently lost it's defining characteristic of having a wider range in buildings after vet 1, and even that made it only viable on certain maps.
Pip
23 Mar 2021, 21:31 PM

This unit in the British arsenal rarely sees use from my experience watching high level games. I think the reason is fairly obvious: it doesn't do as well for it's intended role as an HMG compared to other units of similar price points. All other HMGs have some strength that makes them (roughly) on par with each other, the MG42 and 50cal with it's awesome suppression and damage, the Maxim with its 6 man squads, and the MG34's good suppression combined with OKW's ability to push early.

The Vickers has okay damage and that's about it; but Infantry Sections are a much more practical choice in this department. Furthermore, the suppression on this unit is not adequate in dealing with axis squads which are by nature designed to fight and kill units with higher model counts. I've lost count of how many times I witnessed a blob of infantry walk into the cone of fire of this unit and decrew it before it has a chance to suppress, much less fire. I was hoping the change to HMG positioning would allow this not to happen, but it does, little, if anything to remedy the situation.

I think this unit needs better suppression since it has recently lost it's defining characteristic of having a wider range in buildings after vet 1, and even that made it only viable on certain maps.

Call me biased, but I still like my suggestion to give the Vickers a Bofors-style "Suppressive volley" ability.

Also: yeah, it probably should have its suppression buffed, even if that were to come at the cost of, say, a reduced arc. (I'd argue that Brits simply can't have an MG34/42 strength tier 0 MG with the way Sections still are, unfortunately.)
23 Mar 2021, 22:26 PM

Vickers Mg is fine. Just trash Sections on Gren/Volks lvl and people are going to build it.
The lmg variant needs a rework though. Or Brens. One of them should work like Bars. Medium range dmg upgrade as oppossed to one long range lmg.
24 Mar 2021, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The only unit in the game which a nerf (dmg) would actually buff it (wouldn't fail to suppress after killing a model)
24 Mar 2021, 05:23 AM

Vickers in the back, IS's pushing from cover to cover is unbeatable for OKW early game
24 Mar 2021, 05:43 AM

i wish mg34 had the same damage output as vickers
24 Mar 2021, 05:43 AM

Vickers in the back, IS's pushing from cover to cover is unbeatable for OKW early game

If you would like, I can teach you how to deal with the British early game. DM me.
24 Mar 2021, 06:42 AM

Vickers Veterancy

Vet 1: Unlocks the "Take Aim!" ability.

Vet 2: +20% suppression.
+30% weapon rotation speed.
+30% penetration.

Vet 3: +30% accuracy.
+20% rate of fire.

I would like to see the +30% penetration on the vickers Vet 2 bonus be changed to provide -received accuracy instead. Bonus penetration is useless since you aren't using the Vickers to counter vehicles and with its crap suppression it would allow the MG to actually have a chance to retreat instead of getting death looped to death from 4 models to 0 while trying to retreat.
24 Mar 2021, 06:52 AM

Why suppress the enemy when you can just kill them with your sections

When you get a vickers:
Bolster is worth relatively less than if you bought another IS
Reduces the number of healing sections you have
Reduces the number of sandbags you can build
Makes already defensive brits have an even harder time attacking
24 Mar 2021, 07:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Mar 2021, 05:43 AMSpoof

If you would like, I can teach you how to deal with the British early game. DM me.

Thanks for the offer, i send u a PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49
Germany 37

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak